None of the on-wheel buttons of my new Thrustmaster Leather 28 GT wheel work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I recently purchased a brand-new Thrustmaster T300 Servo base and TM Leather 28 GT Wheel. I have physically setup the T300 servo base and TM Leather 28 GT wheel as per the instructions. The wheel rim is firmly screwed into the T300 wheelbase as hand-tight as it will go.

Before connecting the wheel I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the wheel, restarting my PC, then plugged-in the servo base. I then updated the T300 to the latest firmware.

When I use the Thrustmaster Control Panel application, it appears to recognise the wheel as a Thrustmaster GT Wheel.

Turning the wheel moves the axis slider in the control panel Test Input property sheet, and pressing the number 11 (L3) and 12 (R3) buttons on the wheelbase lights up the correct button boxes on the Test Input sheet. None of the buttons on the wheel itself, nor the D-pad light up on the Test Input sheet, nor do they function in any game, however.

Is it likely my TM Leather 28 GT Wheel Add-on faulty? Or am I doing something wrong? I've tried unscrewing and re-attaching the wheel to the servo base twice, in case in was a connection issue. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

NB: the mode of the T300 is set to PS3 (for PC compatibility)

2. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I've taken the wheel off and double-checked again, but I have lined up the arrows correctly on both the servo base and wheel rim so that they're both pointing upwards. I reassembled the wheel just in case it would work this time, but still none of the buttons nor paddle shifters work. Massively frustrating, as I've been waiting ages to be able to get a wheel :-(

3. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Buying something which doesn't work sucks bigtime, I always seem to have that also...

What is the firmware and driver version shown on the TM control panel?
    I have firmware 24 and driver 2.8.16.0.

How many buttons are shown? Should be 13.

Do the pins on the wheel end look ok?

If nothing is working could be base of rim, TM is pretty helpfull if you call them.
    But ordering a second rim and refunding the first would be more practical I think.

4. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Firmware: 25
    Driver: 2.8.54

As far as I can tell, none look bent

I've sent TM a support email whilst logged into their support system. I'll wait to see what comes back tomorrow, then will see whether I need to phone them.

The T300 Servo Wheelbase I bought direct from Thrustmaster in their recent 10% off sale (in fact this sale goes on until 15/07/2016), the TM Leather 28 GT Rim I bought from More Computers for what I thought was a "bargain" £88.79 (it was on sale, but they still have it for only £93.48). More Computers claim to be an "Authorised Thrustmaster Reseller" (check the previous link).

Do you think it's also worth contacting More Computers? This is what their returns page says: http://www.morecomputers.com/returns_faulty.aspx

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I wanted the Leather 28 GT rim because it's the Thrustmaster rim I like most, I found that as my hands are quite small I felt stretched when trying to reach the paddles on a friend's larger Alcantara rim, as the paddles are in the same place. I didn't order the TX Leather Edition package, because I managed to pick-up a decent condition set of used Fanatec CSR Elite pedals, and preferred the slightly smaller T300 base to the TX and if I do ever get a console, it's more likely to be a PS4 than an XBox one.

6. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Can't you try your friends rim to see if its the base or rim?
    Or take the GT rim to your friend.
    Since you bought both seperate it makes it a bit more complicated.

The build quality is not perfect but you should atleast expect it to work.
    Its weird it detects the GT rim but it doesn't function.

I think the GT is probably the best rim, the Alcantara is nice but you need gloves to keep it shiny.
    Its only downside is its not 30cm.

7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I know, but the problem is my friend lives about 80 miles away and I'm not likely to visit him for a while, so I'm not going to be able to check easily.

I'm pretty sure it's the rim that's the problem, as everything, including the FFB and buttons, seems to work on the servo base.

I've now RMA-ed the rim back to More Computers, where I purchased it from. Hope the replacement rim works! Will post here once I've found out.

Indeed. BTW I don't know if this is normal or not, but the wheel image shown in the Thrustmaster Control Panel is for the PS wheel, not the GT rim, whereas from screenshots I've seen, the image changes for the other rims. Which image do you see, if you own this rim?

I'd like the Alcantara rim more if the paddles were moved further out, so that they were as close to the rim as they are on the smaller rims - if they did that for a 30cm Leather rim, I'd buy that one in an instant!

Also, as you say, unless you don't mind the Alcantara looking worn/dirty, you'd need to wear gloves, which I really can't be bothered to do. The leather material should show marks less (smells nice too :)). I also prefer the Thrustmaster central boss logo of the Leather GT rim to the slightly tacky Ferrari one on the Alcantara rim, and also the different style of the “three-position rotary switch”.

8. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I have the GTE wheel myself, basically the rubber version of the 28GT.
    Had the F1 rim for a week and with both the control panel image changed to mimic the rim installed.

(btw. the rim packaging should be sealed, maybe you got a return.)

Hope you get the rim soon, if it works the T300 works really well.
    Next add-on would be the shifter ;)

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that was sealed, if I remember correctly, was the "manual" (which just says to go to the website for the real manual. Don't think anything else was sealed. I've actually just asked for a refund when they have processed the return and have instead just ordered a new Leather 28 GT Wheel from the same place (as they're cheap) - should be with me tomorrow, apparently!

10. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, got the replacement wheel rim today and all buttons and paddles respond - so it was just a faulty rim! I now have another problem - for some reason the throttle input from my CSR Elite Pedals is inverted - so when not depressed acceleration is at 100% and when fully depressed is at 0%, but I can't see anyway in R3E to invert the inputs, unlike in AC or AMS, where they work fine. Any suggestions?