Nordschleife - too smooth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris Kemp, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Chris Kemp

Chris Kemp New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok so i posted on steam discussions yesterday that the nords is way too smooth. Not 1 bump, looks like its had fresh tarmac.
    Why?
    I was told that this is 100% realistic and if i didnt like it go play rF2 or some other crap i cant even remember.
    Clearly this was an infant who commented and had clearly never even been there irl so i thought i would ask here.
    I have driven the ring many times in many different cars and it is really bumpy, the surface is very old and patchy and in this it looks and feels all wrong.
    The layout width etc is fine just a severe lack of track surface texture and feel.
    I cant believe im the only one to think this?

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. rubenforos

rubenforos Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hello! first of all say that I have only 600 km drived in real life in the Ring, is that there is little, but enough to form an opinion on the asphalt, it is true that it is quite bumpy, but no much as people often say or think, in overall I think it lacks some more texture deneral and some other bump, but I not think it necessary to fill it full of bumps , in my opinion is a matter of "texture" or "grain" no is if I explain well ... and where if I notice is needed to implement bumps is Carrusell, it shows completely smooth, and that if it is quite bumpy in real life.
    excuse me for my English...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I love the version Sector3 have made as it is really great but got to agree the actual road surface feels very smooth. For me it feels like there is not enough FFB data getting transferred to the wheel. Problem with my AccuForce wheel is that if I increase Minimum FFB I do not get any extra road surface detail just some spaced out hard spikes in the FFB which do not feel natural or good so I set it low to about 3%. Without fully knowing all the details my guess is that the FFB system is not working with whatever road surface data is implemented for Nordschleife. Hope the devs might still be working on it.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. muzikant

muzikant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I agree !!

The Nordschleife is more like a showroom track, but a good one ;)
    In real life there is more bumpy. for sure pflangarten the hill down before the dip
    maybe can RRE fixed?? I hope so.

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    are you sure your FFB is not clipping? Because for me it's quite bumpy. Lower the FFB Multiplier of your car and have a look at the new FFB Monitor while driving. When it's clipping you won't feel any more effects above a certain FFB level.
    I know some people who had the same problem and after lowering the multiplier they felt the road again. It's definitively not a problem with the track itself because it's laser scanned.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    oh and one more thing.

When you're driving Nordschleife in real life, the bumps you feel are mostly coming through the chassis and to your ass. Since your virtual driving lacks bumps felt with the ass you may think the tarmac is not bumpy enough because you don't have the sensation of the ass-o-meter. On the virtual Track you only feel what's coming through the wheel... and in reality that's only a tiny bit of the complete experience (G-Forces, Ass-o-meter...). So try to set your FFB up to your liking, that you feel more through the wheel than in reality, maybe that can compensate the lack of the other things.

(when you're on the road and you concentrate on what bumps you feel through the wheel you will realise that it's not as much as you think)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Planzgarten bumps

8. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I do not know now what the good is. I`m going about two weeks to the nord vln races. I'm going to see

9. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    In the old days it was more Bumpy like this days..
    I must to see this video from one of the Ringmeisters Joachim Stck.

AMAZING DRIVE !!!!

11. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I use 4 bass shakers with simvibe, and i feel more bumps trough the ass with it. Also if you set the cockpit shake higher then there will be more immersion/illusion of shake. But there is some difference with AC (or Pcars which i don't like at all with the nordschleife), AC more feedback from the track but i feel less feedback in the wheel from understeer/oversteer and weight transfer, so nothing is perfect it as it seems.

And don't compare a roadcar to a racecar on the Nordschleife, especially how fast a racecar can handle surface deficits.

So there is always room for a next better version , and that is inherent to a virtual track in compare to the real thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. rubenforos

rubenforos Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    For me, R3E have best Nordschleife on sims. I'm really in love:oops: actually is the most exciting sim for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Montana.BE

Montana.BE Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the bumpy part is missing slightly from this sim ... And yes, it would make the sim more realistic. But also harder ..

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Today i've changed my FFB-Settings a bit by adapting some FFB-Values from @nate 's G27-Profile (thanks for that). And that made quite a big difference in the roadfeel and bumpiness. Especially pflanzgarten and Karussel made big differences...

15. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I would say that it's not that much of a problem with track, but rather cars - IMO they feel way to stable over bumps, especially in corners.

16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    You realize that you have to share them with us now... :)

17. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  18. ДДºMortICi

ДДºMortICi Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I still don't understand why someone would want the wheel to give "more" information when that information is never present in a real wheel anyway. Its bizarre to say the least that you would want unrealistic movement in the wheel while clamouring that you want a "realistic simulator". To each their own but its just weird to me, I try to filter out as much noise from the wheel as possible, and get as much information from the steering rack as possible, and only torque my fake plastic wheel if the virtual rack moves left and right with proper weight and force. No more, no less.

Tiny vibrations and bumps and other things are never present in a real wheel, all that is translated via audio, chassis vibe, and your butt/g-forces. The game should do well try to hit those other items visually and through audio.

As a side note, you will learn that most "alien" sim racers, in most cases run very little to almost no FFB on their wheels.

Next time you are driving a car, just hold the wheel in position with you index finger, and see how much the wheel moves as you go over bumps, or ribbed surfaces (edge of high way lane) or other surfaces. The whole purpose of the suspension of the car is to make sure your wheel isn't wobbling all over the places because of every bump or what not in the road, thant your tires natural inclination to point straight all the time and self center, especially at higher speeds means you would want less bumps and canned effects, and more of what the steering rack is doing in relation to the road surface.

But that's just my personal opinion, and as such has no value or substance to what you want out of the game, therefore you will need to fiddle with the settings until it feels the way you want it, regardless of it being realistic or not.

RRRE does a great job with visual and audio cues to tell you what is happening with the car, and I run a light FFB with steering rack specific info. :)

People hate on pCARS FFB, but to me its the most authentic in weight and detail, the fidelity of the graphics and immersion tell me all the other information I need in order to drive the car.

NOTE: You should never be "fighting" the car all the time, the car should be neutral and easy to drive, the hard part only exists in finding the edge/limit of the car and keeping the car there as much as possible, unrealistic info can make that extremely more difficult, because the info is not present in a real situation....

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
  20. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    In general I can agree... short little bumps aren't much noteable in the wheel - it's more in the suspension and you got shaked around a bit. But when weight is being transferred, than you'll feel is in the wheel as well. But yeah - most things are effects that you normally won't notice in the wheel in a real car, but as the PC-wheel is (for the most of us) the only physical object that gave feedback to the driver it helps a bit in immersion...

• Like Like x 1