Resolved Nose view height

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by hugotwowheels, Jun 13, 2022.

1. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I've tried googling and searching the forums but nothing. I've also looked through the folders and files of the game, but nothing.

Is it possible to change the height of the nose view? I find it to be the perfect view for me in low cars - I'm A+ in GTS/GT7 with bumper cam so I'm very used to that view - but with other cars it feels too low when I'm next to other cars.

I don't care about immersion. I just want to be fast and avoid accidents with fellow racers in multiplayer. Rear view mirror, radar and nose view helps me with that.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No. You can't change it.

3. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I appreciate the quick answer!

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    @hugotwowheels You can change it, but it's not quite easy. You do it by editing camera files for the car you're driving, they are here: Steam\SteamApps\common\Raceroom Racing Experience\Game\Gamedata\Cars\
    Not sure what exactly you need to edit, I personally do it by trial and error. My guess would be "nose_pivot.xml" file ("nose_pivot_triple.xml" if you're on triples) and these values in it:

camera-position-maybe.png

The game reads these values when you load into a session, so you need to restart your session each time you make a change.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yup that worked for me with the Ford GT bug but isn´t there one default camera file that can be used for all cars? If not, it will indeed be tiresome doing it for every car you use.

6. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I actually looked into that folder but there's no way I'm fiddling with that car by car, having to restart the game every time.

Anyway, I settled on the hood view. It's perfect actually.
    In Gran Turismo (can't believe I played that for so long - didn't know about RaceRoom...) the "hood view" is actually a roof cam. I don't fancy looking down on the car, and very much prefer the angle in RaceRoom.

Selling my PS5 now. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Not that I'm aware of.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Potential for a third party app there then!

9. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    @hugotwowheels keep in mind that while in cockpit cam, you cam move your seat quite a lot actually eg for something like this: upload_2022-6-14_14-14-25.png
    differs with each car, just something to remember (with tcr astra managed to move cam beyond front windshield- pseudo hood cam :p )

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Seeing how over the years, racing sims give you less and less control over the cameras - and no one seems to be bothered by that - I doubt the app would be popular...

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Well they did make a fuss about the FOV calculator for cockpit cam and the replay UI in the last update so it´s something that could be added. I use the one for Dirt Rally 2 and it is really useful as you can apply the settings to some or all the cars with one click.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Well, I didn't mean Raceroom since it has many instruments to adjust your camera, and the new FOV and cockpit camera settings are probably the best on the market. It's the other games I have a problem with, for example, AC doesn't allow you to change FOV on any camera except the cockpit one.

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I assume you are using CSP and its 3rd party UI tool. Both those allow you to adjust chase cam and there is another one called stereo boxcam that does even more. Pretty sure it works for any camera but you need to use a mouse scroll wheel to adjust the FOV.

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I'll try these tools. I was using a vanilla version.

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    CSP and SOL are pretty much essential to get the most out of the game in all aspects - in fact there are probably too many options now!

16. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it works but how about using the free cam and putting it on the hood?

17. hugotwowheels

hugotwowheels Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I understand. It's just that I'm annoyed by the stuff that's in the way of my vision, in a static way. In real life, I'd move my head slightly around it and the "obstacles" would "disappear". Also, I'm more used to motorcycles than cars - no car body in the way.

I appreciate the possibility to choose view in RaceRoom!

Edit: Nevermind, I moved the camera ("head") in cockpit view all the way forward and that's even better than nose and hood view. Just perfect actually.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022