Released October 2018 Update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Oct 24, 2018.

1. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Mmmh maybe there's a bug and it doesn't work in triple screen then.

Would it be worth trying to adjust in single screen, then reloading in triple, see if it worked and remembered?

2. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Same here.

Hoped to get the wheel from the ADAC Masters Corvette centered. Will try it in single screen mode tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    For me slow down penalties should not exist in a racing sim full stop..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    It looks not to be working on triple screen, hence the confusion ;)

5. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Why not an extra option to set the slow down penalty's as time penalty's as a Total at the end of the whole race

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    You got a point but the punishing in simracing wil never be the same as in real racing.
    And my thinking is more about how the slow down works now After the update and before wich is/was not ideal
    And your overtake point wil punished After the race by the organisation of some race After complain

7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm away from rig this WE. Glad to hear you can test :)

8. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    yes, can confirm this. Hope this feature will be available for triples too

10. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With the rift in VR it doesn't work either.
    High and down as well as right and left not.

11. Giangio

Giangio Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Go go go Screenshot_20181027-223229.png

• Like Like x 3
  12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well it works perfectly on my triple screen set up, mapped key pad +, -, * & / and what it does for me is the axis of the head remains as is but I look up, down, left or right. Guess this is an as expected perspective? :confused:
    Not so sure it matches up with the J-F Chardon description above or maybe it does. o_O Think it got lost in translation for me but if we're talking about the the 4 new perspective keys in camera views then weem on the same wavelength.

13. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, Paul checked it and it didn't work (like he said before). Slightly confused here.

14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Confused too. Tried it again, this time even using KB, but no...does not work here...:(

15. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    As soon as u use the R3E startup params for triple screen setup it stops working.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    High and Down?

Do you mean up and down? That does indeed work as does forward and backwards. The hot key is not on the camera but on the seat movement. If I misunderstood apologies. Left and right seat movement would be great in vr. I can’t akways get perfect alignment to wheel.

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The reason for this is that your current speed is compared to an estimated speed at each part of the track and as long as you are going faster than that speed, the time you keep gaining will be added to the penalty.
    This method has its pros and cons but imagine a situation where you cut a chicane and just drive on like nothing happened. In this scenario you've not only "stolen" the time it takes to take that chicane cleanly, you're also continuing to gain time relative to everyone who's taken the chicane properly because you didn't need to accelerate again while all the others had to. From my pov this is an unfair advantage and should be punished, i.e. the time you keep gaining should be added (as it is right now). But afaik the devs are looking into a better method at the moment.
    Albert Einstein strongly disagrees. ;)

A slowdown penalty does not mean that you have to slow down for 0.2 seconds, it means that you have to give back (lose) 0.2 seconds relative to the estimated speed (see above). You will lose more time than 0.2 seconds, which I like tbh, because of the knock-on effect I described above.
    We actually had false starts in multiplayer for a brief moment in the past and sadly it got abused by wreckers, who used to push other players standing in the starting grid, which resulted in those players receiving a penalty without having done sth wrong. So the false start logic got removed from mp again, but I hope it will eventually be added as a server option. (Just like those other server management commands you asked for. There are plans for those.)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's indeed the big dilemma with a system like this. The problem is that if the estimated speed is set too high, slower players won't ever get penalized because they'll always be beaten by the estimator. Set it too low and faster players will be punished unduely.
    Don't think I can talk about the new solution they're working on right now, but if it works out the way they plan it to, it should get rid of the time being added subsequently.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sosruko

Sosruko Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Another solution could be that after getting a slowdown you would instantly get maxed out throttle output to 90% automatically for a certain period of time. This would be the safest and at least in theory not too complicated to code either. We had to disable slowdowns for our Imola league race because the new system is way too unpredictable with serving the slowdowns and would cause massive safety issues as it is.

20. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you misunderstood. In the camera settings there are 4 more controls, perspective L. R .U & D, some are having issues with these but up to now they have worked fine for me.
    Generally people only post if something doesn't do as it should (main point of this forum). People don't tend to post if all is well, now only a few have found problems and even Bubbles has brushed over this one, so; it's either being looked into or we still have a few Numpties on here! :D