Oculus changed the rules apparently, and I hate them

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skybird, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Winston Smith likes this

but seriously, I keep looking at VR as something to upgrade to in the future
    after reading this I am not so sure, while my gamming PC runs windows, my other PC runs Linux
    I guess with online only games, and windows 10, intrusive VR software is just one more thing to deal with
    and another reason to have a second dedicated gaming only PC, hey for the last 69 years we all known this day would come

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^Indeed that is what I am doing. A Windows 10 machine as game and VR console EXCLUSIVELY, and a good Linux laptop for email, browsing, shopping, text editing, photo editing, archive and database stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
  4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ich glaub ich spinne...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/
    Before trying that tip in the link, keep in mind that it is 3 mon ths old and uses an old exe whcih might not work with new OH versions anymore.

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    What does it do exactly, or better: how? Is it RR-specific, or does it allow to laucnh VR games without Home in general? The bite Home takes out of the specs, is shocking.

6. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    This allows running steam VR without seeing home env, but you will see Oculus Dash briefly. I do not enjoy seeing ads/promotions on product I paid for already, without home I almost can avoid it (if I wait couple of secs before putting hmd on).

Here's another thing that popped up: https://ps.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/fixed_old_oculus_home_runtime_w_instructions/

However, whether we like it or not staying on old runtime is temporary solution really. Oculus is working on improving things, so by staying on old stuff we opt out of those improvements. I really hope they would simply work on making home lean and ads/promotions optional/configurable, just as they are in SVR.

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Improvements? Getting stuff shoved down my throat no matter whether I want it or not, and being exposed to company's customer-hostile but profitable own interests I would not call "improvement". ;) It has become so excessive in recent years that I have turned really very sensitive about it and taken some drastic, costly measures already. The day has become predictable when I leave Windows platforms behind completely. Its just a question of time by now anymore. Don't count on me still using Windows in five years. Could very well be that in five years I am all Linux and console.

I paid for the hardware Oculus delivered to me, it was no free gift and there was no additional hidden deal agreed on.

At least I was so wise to not buy any sopftware via Oculus store. When I leave Oculus behind and maybe change to another headset, I can take the VR games I use with me, not depending on having Oculus Home in use anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Well Skybird, I'll just tell you I am as upset as you are. I even felt determined to switch to Vive, but truth is, Vive has it's own issues :( Deep breath, anger won't solve anything unfortunately - it's just like situation with sims - none of them is perfect, but being frustrated about some of them not evolving the way you would like it to, changes nothing. Just choose what matches your needs closest, and, sad truth with HMDs, Oculus would be still my choice given current choices, most likely. Curious how will Pimax turn out... fingers crossed it is good.

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So yesterday I've made a quick performance check

For the virtual racing league I've did all settings to run without glitches in the oculus rift.
    Maxed out all settings, so it is a good graphic and don't get under 45 FPS while starting a 40 AI GT3 Race on place 15 on Nordschleife VLN variant. So I was happy with those settings. It was like living on the edge, because system was running with full power then. But online League was "only" with maximum about 30 cars on tracks without as many impact as the GT3 Nordschleife.
    So yesterday I've made the same test and it was very bad. I never came to stable 45 FPS with my settings. I never thought, that it has such an impact on my system.
    I know, that it isn't the newest, but before those updates, everything was fine. I don't want to spent another 1000 Euro to see a living room in VR.

I'm really frustrated now.

10. APC900

APC900 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Their update has caused me nothing but headaches.
    Mine has gone from a very pleasant experience to one of extreme frustration.
    I've been troubleshooting for seven days, as a result of a black screen caused by the update.

11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    It tried the "Homeless"-Mod for Oculus Home 2.0. That worked pretty good with the latest version. Maybe give that a try to see, if that could help to improve your performance.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

12. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    This is why I didn't buy a Oculus headset.

And I understand you completely, Skybird

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Yes, if they don't allow hiding ads (game sales/promotions) soon, they are going to lose me as a customer. No one else does anything like this. It's forced twice - on Desktop and in VR with no option to turn it off.

BTW guys, the script I shared works well with R3E, so at least with R3E we don't have to have Oculus Client running. At least as long as we run R3E through Steam VR.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I hesitated long time as well, but the much, much cheaper price last year and the slightly better image quality tipped the balance. However, I use two systems, which are completely separated, and gaming and Oculus is limited to the gaming rig on which nothing else is being done. My Windows 10 rig is a gaming console exlcusively. No way I would ever do work and peronsal stuff and data storgae under Windows (or Google or Apple) again, they all are data vacuum cleaners, just that Windows 10 additionally is highly defective. And I do not think Microschrott has still the technical competence to do cure it and do better, even if it would change its cusotmer-hostile policy again and would try indeed to respect consumer interests (a what-if scneario only, of course it does not want that: respecting people's privacy, and business models and pressure form shareholders are mutually exclusive at this point).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018