App Offical release of Crew chief version 4 - auto updating and shiny

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    CrewChief also has his own forum: thecrewchief.org

@Cesar Maranhao : I think Jim wants to 'protect' the names available to keep the quality high and avoid ranting etc. Just send him a request and it will be available in the next update which comes often sooner then expected.

2. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Weird issue here.
    Every time I switch sessions in R3E, CC resets the volume to full blast.
    I usually have both CC and R3E set pretty low so it doesn't interfere with TS in MP races, so suddenly having CC at full volume is rather deafening. :D
    Any ideas?

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    no ideas at all, that's very odd. Do you have keys assigned to the CC volume controls perhaps? Has it always done this, or is it a new thing?

On an unrelated note, I removed the 'auto confirm' pit macro with today's CC release - should make the app play nicely with the pit menu changes introduced in today's R3E update. Any issues with this (or any of the other criminally under-tested changes in today's CC release), please give me a yell

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Hello Mr B!

Another little oddity...

upload_2018-5-9_6-57-5.png

I'm running a fully updated Version of Windows 10. All your previous updates have worked perfectly.

Thanks as always for this wonderful app!

6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
  7. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    No keys assigned to CC, volume or otherwise. Don't even use half the features in it to begin with, main use is the spotter and that's about it.
    And it's fairly new. Started maybe 2-3 months ago.
    I mean, it's no biggie. Now I'm simply starting CC at full volume and then adjust the volume in Windows, so it's still fully functioning.
    It's just weird.

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Hm, I let the app update itself since the auto updater said it found a new release of Crewchief. It downloaded it, I directed the installer to the usual folder where Crewchief is installed, and it did. After that I allowed it to relaunch the app - I got a BSOD afterwards. Since then, after cold reboot of system, Crewchief does not launch anymore, with an error saying the application could not be launched due to some so-called "side-by-side configuration" being invalid.

W10pro 1709 here, but this Tuesday's Windows patchageddon I avoided, as usual. No Windows updates done today, no other updates as well. At least none I am aware of.

Any ideas?

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I tried to downloaded the installer from page 1, post 1 in this thread, and had it running. It broke off the installation, saying that the old version of Crewchief could not be removed.

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I also cannot manually remove the existing Crewchief installation via Windows, or altering it. "The feature you are trying to use is on a network ressource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing thew installation package 'CrewChiefV4.msi' in the box below". So I did, but I got the same message when tryinmg again. I trhen deleted the jjst downloaded installer, and cleaned the registry and also the user/local/tremp folder. I still get the abov emessage, even after a cold system reboot .

When closing the message window, I get a German message saying that the installation source does not exist and that I should make sure that it exists and that it can be accessed.

Last option I can try: deleting the Crewchief folder manually and see what that does. I recall some long forgotten memories from long since gone years that this also can badly backfire, so: should I?

To summarise things: I had a working Crewchief installation, it download and installed an update for it, a window opened after it had finished whether the app should be launched, I confirmed that it should relaunch the app, and I got a BSOD, and after cold system reboot since then the Crewchief is MIA. Manually uninstalling also impossible.

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I tried to install Crewchief - via a new installer download - into another place. It broke off with the same error like above, that the source is unavailable. Then another error, error 1704, an older version of the Crewchief could not be deinstalled. Contact your technical support.

My what...?

I now try to kill the folder, simply that, and see what it does. This starts to remind me of old Windows 98 days.

Its probably not your app, Mr. Belowski, but some more of this unspeakable Windows 10 garbage stuff going on all the time. I hate W10 with a passion. In 5 months with it: more blue screens than in all years with W7 and XP together. Hilarious BS, Microsoft.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Folder of Crewchief is deleted and gone, but Windows does not recognise any difference and when clicking Crewchief it in Apps menu to alter/deinstall it, it keeps sending the same message like above. I would have expected it to say that the content the link is referring to, is no longer available, instead it keeps telling me that the installation source is not available.

I downloaded the installer a third time, and pointed the requester to it. No difference. I tried to simply install by clicking the installer msi file. Same as above.

Hope after sunrise in the morning some minds have some input for me. Right now, the old Crewchief installation is gone in content, but not gone at the same time, Windows keeps telling me stuff that makes no sense, and a new installation of Crewchief is impossible.

Bad night.

13. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Skybird,

Since you had a BSOD, you system might have corrupt registry or MSI database. MSI needs a consistent view of the installation database. You might need to take ownership of some registry keys that block install/uninstall. If you are stuck, feel free to pm me I'll help you recover. In any case. the answer is in the event viewer logs and %temp% directory.

If you wonder why crew chief still uses MSI, the reason is we need to read shared memory, and reading that from a Store app is much, much more work than we do today.

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Iron Wolf, what you say is beyond my technical horizon, what MSI is I do not really know. I have in user/username/appdata/local/temp three MSI files with time stamps linking them to last night's mess, MSI48d8b, MSI67d06 and MSI29f9, they all say the same:

"Error 1714. The older version of CrewChiefV4 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1612.
    === Logging stopped: 09.05.2018 02:46:54 ==="

Is it safe when I start regedit to search for "Crewchief", and then delete all entries I may find? I do not feel too well about this.

In the temp folder there also is an "NVidia Corporation" folder with a time stamp linked to last night. It contains a folder "NV_Cache", and this one has two TOC and to BIN files.

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ha! Nailed it. Stupid me, I overlooked the second error message: system error 1612. What do you do when you get such a code number? You google it. Found the Fixit Site by Microsoft, had this thing https://support.microsoft.com/de-de...lock-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed running, and afterwards I could reinstall Crewchief.

Long lament, no need, my apologies. Thanks for taking your time, Iron Wolf!

P.S. That tool is recommended for bookmarking.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Glad you found a fix - windows is such a pain

17. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ring Ring Red Alarm again:

you said it, Mr Belowski, Windows 10 is such an - underhanded- pain.

Yesterday was Windows patch Tuesday, and so on Monday evening I made sure I had all my download delays in place, 30 days, 35 days, 365 days, semi-annual branch, metered connection - I hope many of you know the drill. It was all set and in place (as far as Microsoft allows that).

The FixIt tool opens a line to Big Mama (MS), and you need to accept that they download and inject some code onto your rig. Like I have experienced in past years, and has been reported by others, they abused this opportunity for trying as well to bypass my "defences" as described above: I just found that all the mentioned settings had been reset to default (="accept all updates immediately"), also a good deal of the privacy settings for camera, microphone and such had been switched so that privacy was no more there (I have it all switched off, usually). This confirms once again that you cannot trust Microsoft these days, and it is also not new, not in the past three years at least.

So when you interact with any of their live platforms and automatted services like FixIt, check all your relevant privacy and security and update-delaying settings afterwards, you run the risk that they take the invitation to tune your system on behalf of their business interests and at the disadvantage of your interests. As long as you do not considering involuntary beta-testing and running a broken system your hobby.

If not already known: this also should be done after every Windows update day. Privacy settings also are known to automatically reset to default ("anything goes") every six months.

I made it a habit to scan all these settings at least twice a week, on weekends and in mid-week. I also check them the day before patch Tuesday arrives. I want Microsoft Windows sh!tware as late as possible only. The stuff is broken by rule these days.

Since almost three years I am running Linux now, Mint it is. Flawless, no technical hickups. Not once. Minor problems I had on some opportunities - all of them self-triggered by little unknowing me.

Thats how it is done, Microsoft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    For a Windows Version (was it Win XP?) there was a little program, where you can make all those fixes in one app. You don't have to search for every point. (I don't know them all...)

Does someone know, if there is such a little program for Win10?

19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No, I think FixIt is what what you look for. Optimization tools have no good reputation anyway. I played around with one in my late XP days, it took less than a week to cut my working system into pieces.

I have read good experiences with FixIt before. I only say you have to be on your guard and check your settings after using it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing the solution, this needs to go into our FAQ. Just to be clear, where did you see error 1612? In the event log, message box popup, MSI logs or? Cheers :)