Offline custom liveries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brototype, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Maybe that's the main reason, that the interest for Sector3/Raceroom to implement Custom Skin support is practically non-existent. Which is really a sad thing, because i see no problem to make this feature optional. If an eSport event doesn't want to see custom liveries, then just don't use it or switch it off. Every other sim is showing just a default livery, if you don't have downloaded/installed the skin or haven't activated this feature. It's no problem at all.

One reason for the continuous asking for this, i see also in the lack of available skins. Some cars have only 2 selectable liveries, which sometimes just differ in car number. And even if this topic is referring to offline racing, but it shouldn't be much different to online racing. And seeing a lot of doubled liveries on track isn't really the desired variety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Can we not have one (two if you count ACC) Sim's that stays true to history, as stated there are plenty of others for people to show off their artistic sides. I used to be mad for painting every car I owned in my personal livery but since using RR I have come to appreciate the authenticity, what I would like to see (been banging on about it for 6 years now!) is to have your own name and number on each car. One reason for S3's lack of support for skinning, may well come from the manufacturers themselves. When the Bentley was coming to RR it was delayed due to Bentley being particular about every detail, I think manufacturers are becoming far more product aware when it comes to a reproduction of their car in a Sim. In the future skinning may well be phased out through manufacturer pressure, who knows but with historical content being flavour of the month here at RR the last thing I would care to see would be a beautiful 917K wearing a Tena for men skin. :eek:
    If all Sims were the same we would only need one and how boring would that be, all power to the individual that walks against the tide, as S3 have from the start. If in the future, when S3 have the resources (Soon™) if S3 want to implement livery skinning in single player, it's fine by me as long as I can turn it off. So many other things I would personally put before skin modding.
    Leave 'Simulators to simulate and behold the beauty that was, who knows what beauty the future brings' Paul 15:1 :D

3. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Options. That would be the beauty of it IF it was implemented. You dont have to use it if you dont want to but it gives the other gamers that like to tinker with skins the option.
    Like i've said before it is not a critical implementation and wouldnt be my preferred update (more Aussie tracks is my #1), but in my eyes it would go further to improve the all round best racing sim i have played. (But i agree being able to change the names on the side would be a good start).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    What I really like about Raceroom is the fact, that all of the content is made by Sector3 and it's top-notch. A team of professionals who get paid for their work, instead of some individual enthusiastcs who felt like doing some car or a track . I've seen just too many poor mods to moddable sims. For me, the closer Raceroom stays to reality the better. Custom skins aren't really a part of reality...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    But if they are for offline use only, for the enthusiasts that like to have a bit of individuality, that wouldn't affect the gamers that like the game to stay pure.

The gamers that favour custom skins just want the option, thats all. If Sector 3 can find a way to implement it, monetize it for their benefit,(i.e. custom skin slots maybe), but still stay pure to the original game for purists (i.e. offline only) that I think would be a win win. Everybody would be happy, we could then all hold hands together and sing kumbaya in harmony.

6. Vern Wozza

Vern Wozza New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I would check in here. It's been a while. ACC have just implemented a skin studio in game. It's far from perfect but at least they recognised that people like to have customised cars.

A couple of other points I would raise on this having read the rest of the thread.

1) A lot of comments about ugly and or offensive skins - I can't remember the last time I saw a truly offensive skin, anywhere. That's not to say they don't exist but I wonder how big of a problem it actually is. Also how many views to people get on Youtube of their streams? Lucky to get over 1k.

2) People concerned about the development time for the studio - In my experience skinning has largely been down to the person creating the skin, both creating the skin and getting it in game. AC & rF2 both don't overtly say it's possible but they also don't block you. Now, ACC just released their skin studio, I would argue that it was poorly invested time as there are many other things that need attention in that sim. If they had just let the back door open who would have really cared? SRO, the manufacturers? I mean, come on, you can get skins in to the F1 games and F1 are an absolute pain when it comes to branding and licensing.

I guess my point is, a year later down the line and I still wish I could create my own team for single player mode in RR. What a sad life I lead :D

7. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    For fear of opening up a new can of worms, the implementation of the skin studio idea in ACC is to me, the last piece of the puzzle missing from RRE. Yes it is simple, but is built into the game, i.e. also like GT Sport.

I've been a good boy this year, maybe Santa ( @J-F Chardon ) will bring us (some of us anyway) the present we are wishing for. ;);)

One down, one to go.......:D;):D;)

8. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I’d love to see something like ACC too, but ACC has been designed that way from the ground up - every aspect of the liveries is geometric, not a flat design, as far as I can tell. Probably not beyond the realms of possibility, but would be difficult to retrofit IMO.

Will also throw into this thread that the worst thing about R3E liveries for me is the lack of team cars (two cars in a team with the same design) and the inconsistency of all the number plates on any car. In GTR2 and AC I amend all cars to have the same plates, but obviously can’t do that here and for some reason it really gets me!

• Agree Agree x 1