OMG the new AI is boring (sometimes)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyJ, Dec 16, 2017.

1. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    - After a long straight line, AI break too much softly and too much early, each time i overtake easily, i just need to brake later and stronger, and i gain time like that, it's boring cause every tracks have long straight line. And it's not only after straight line it's for turns in general.
    - But AI are too fast when we have to chain turns (bathurst may be the good example), it's boring too.
    - The race is always like that, AI is faster on few short turns, but are slower in high/long turn after straight line.
    Races are not funny anymore.
    - Need update. try to change break strenght (they need to break stronger) and break time (they need to brake later) for AI after straight line, AI is ridiculously bad on this point, and it's race killer...And with chained turns (bathurst), they are godlike :)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    They are not godlike at bathurst. You just need to get better there. I can keep up with them in that area, even outpace them. I usually set them at around 105%. But yes they are usually a little early on the brakes coming down the mountain in the first corner after the straight. But to call the AI ridiculously bad isn't fair. Surely it could use some tweaks here and there for speed consistency. But overall the AI is very good in my opinion.

3. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

i always break later and stronger than AI to win, it's boring

4. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
  5. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    he's a winner too.

Seriously, if Sector 3 give me acces to AI path line, i can fix everything :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Why start a new thread to repeat exactly the same point you just made in the other AI thread?

7. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    other thread was about adaptive AI, it's not same here :)

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You will see that often with AIs, no matter the game: that in long, faster turns they tend to brake early or are too slow. Its due to the inner logic behind the AI, and so far all AIs are weak in understanding how to slide and let oneself carried through a turn with a lose tail: they cannot do it. Their parameters tell them: keep the car stable at all cost, avoid understeer or oversteer, be neutral, be stable at all cost. What they can , is driving perfectly and in maximum possible stable car attitude. But that is the way of driving a turn that ofdten is the slower one. Where they are fast in doing this, this is because of their inhumane, perfect reaction times in managing gas and brake to adapt to the ever changing car attitude. In tight turns where stable attitude is asked for and you want to avoid your rear end flying to the outside to much, the ideal way of driving the turn and the driving way the AI is good in, are more of the same, and so they do this kind of turns a bit better.

The AI in AC works more like this like I described it, in RR they have managed to make the AI driving less perfect and thus more humane - which ironically means it becomes more aggressive, daring and fast in its moves - especially in turns. And this is good, it makes the RR AI so enjoyable as it is. I do not know how often RR cars by now have all of a sudden zoomed in front of me when I entered a turn and became too wide in my line, or too slow, left the window of opportunity open or did not manage to race away after I just overtook them - they immediately try a countermove to get back the place that I just took from them. I am heavily impressed by RR's AI, I think I have never seen a better one in any racing game so far. AC's AI also is good, it is fast and reliable, very player'S car-aware - but it is far too conventional and pacifist, compared to this one.Too little fighting spirit. In RR, it sweats fighting spirit as long as it has a line of sight on me. Poor little me. :)

Thus I cannot really agree with OP. I assume he is a better, faster driver than I am. The faster you are a driver yourself, the less any AI can satisfy you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  9. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    yes, i understand :)