OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    These are improvements lined up for next weeks big patch

• Like Like x 1
  2. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So nice : )
    cant wait : (
    But , at Tuesday i Got 24 Days Hollyday ; )

3. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Well i guess my rift picked the wrong week to breakdown. Next week i will have to send it back to oculus. One positive though is that the will replace it for a new one.

4. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Can't say I agree with many of Gamermuscles points in the first 3minutes of that video, I'm certainly not suffering from the issues he appears to of had with the initial release of VR in R3E as it all works and runs very well for me on my mid range PC.
    It don't matter though, looking forward to the patch and the subsequent improvements regardless :)

5. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Mine run well but the 3D depth is definitely off & i feel im sinking into the track slightly. I have everything on high & its its super smooth. I'm new to R3E & if this patch improves things i will no doubt buy the big pack, getting a bit fed up with AC.

6. WoOdZ

WoOdZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

7. WoOdZ

WoOdZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Had my first experience with Raceroom vr today. Runs well on my 4930k clocked at 4.4 with HT enabled. I have a 980ti and 32gb of RAM. I have noticed in lots of vr titles I get significant improvements if I set physx to cpu. I am running at 2.0 pixel density. Really enjoying the SIM again as I stopped playing it without vr. I would like to see the sim wheel motion in vr match my actual wheel motion. It is easier to catch the slides if they match. I also think that the stereo depth is a little off and causes focal length issues with my eyes / brain. As first pass in vr great job. I have had a rift cv1 since UK release and spent many hours in LFS, PCARS and Assetto VR. I also ply DCS and Aerofly2 VR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if it's just placebo, but i've just tried it and it really seems to help. Drove a 10 min race on Monza with 16 cars and i didn't feel any framedrops below the usual 45 fps (Oculus with Asychronous Timewarp). Very smooth and drivable. Not as good as solid 90 fps, but close enough. Didn't even know RaceRoom is using PhysX ... if it doesn't it may be really just a placebo :)

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess he meant other VR-Titles - AFAIK Raceroom doesn't use PhysX.

10. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Possible. Maybe it's just a placebo and i changed my graphics settings since the last i played. I think i reduced the number of visible cars without testing it. That might be the "magic".

11. WoOdZ

WoOdZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No, as I understand it if you have physx on the gpu, regardless of if the game uses it the graphics drivers reserve some cores for it.

In vr titles you really notice the differance as current tech is on the limit and if you stay above 45fps you get a better experience. Try all your vr titles with the same settings as before and I bet you get a smoother experiance.

12. WoOdZ

WoOdZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As I understand it even if the title does not utilise physx if your driver is set to gpu then a number of cores get reserved regardless. It is no placebo if you pass it to the cpu you get all your graphics card for graphics.

13. WoOdZ

WoOdZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is a really good first pass. Made a few tweaks to my graphic settings and RE3 is working so well that a just bought all content via the Premium pack.
    Considering I have not been using the SIM at all since I got my rift on launch this is high praise from me. I can't SIM without VR.....

R3E is now my favorite racing title once again. DEVS please don't break VR it is awesome and smooth at 2.2 PD on my machine.

Also if you put your PhysX onto the CPU and not the GPU you will get a little more FPS.

4930k @ 4.4ghz, 32mb RAM, Asus black edition Mobo and 980ti GPU.

Can anyone else verify PhysX on CPU performance gains. Seems to be an unknown treasure I have stumbled across.

My understanding is that cores of the GPU get reserved for PhysX and if you pass it to the CPU your GPU is only doing graphics. Not sure what the impact is on games that do use PhysX but LFS, DCS, Aerofly2 and Assetto VR all work better since I changed the setting in Nvidia control panel.

14. Wesley Stokes

Wesley Stokes Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Can you explain this with more details? I am a relatively newbe to PC gaming, just built my PC early 2016, how do you set the physic to run on cpu?

Update: Did a little research on the topic and found what I was looking for, now off to testing, i'll report back if I am able to notice any differences.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  15. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Attention to all VR users!

SteamVR Beta currently means trouble in RaceRoom, causing the rendering of an eye to lack the required transformations.

If you have opted into the beta of SteamVR, please opt out for now.

Valve's VR team was made aware of the issue earlier this week.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  16. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to restart steam after opting out of the beta. This will install the regular SteamVR version.

17. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I stop the beta ,restart Steam and got error in Game , looks like i sit in 2 cars , restart PC but help not , any idea ?

18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Game loads fine but in game on track I get constant flickering of the sky or clouds which causes bright white light coming on and off constantly.

For me this is totally unplayable now in VR as the flashing lights is instant feel sick & headaches as I am affected in a negative way by bright flashing lights, unfortunately. :eek:

I am using Oculus Rift CV1...
    ...anyone else getting this same effect and know a fix or workaround ?

Problem so far has been Indy Noon and Raceroom track. Just tried Bathurst morning and did not get the flickering sky/clouds. Perhaps is only on certain Track / Time of Day combo's ? Unfortunately I do not have time atm to go thru every combination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. just_mic

just_mic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Turn off Light Shafts, that solves the problem

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Hipor

Hipor New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the great update in VR but i really hope the devs will update the max steering wheel off 180 degree to atleast 360 degree because this still takes away the immersion in VR

• Agree Agree x 4