OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    yes, it works correctly without the steamVR beta

2. Chris Kemp

Chris Kemp New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Why do we have to use Steam VR. It causes me nothing but problems. No other title i have needs it so why this?

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    eh? It's a steam game. It's VR. It uses OpenVR and SteamVR. Like all the other Steam VR games

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Is there any way of bypassing SteamVR? I cannot get this working through it properly. I think I've reinstalled everything bar windows at the moment.

5. Sparten

Sparten New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, SteamVR->settings->developer uncheck "Start SteamVR when application starts", there is a drawback of doing this as it seems like steam have a hard time closing the application correctly without having to restart steam.

6. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Works fine using non-beta SteamVR. The problem is not with SteamVR Beta but with R3e. If it were a SteamVR Beta issue, we would be seeing this problem with many other titles, but that is not the case. The only sim with SteamVR Beta issues is R3e.

That said VR in this game is nice. It's given me a reason to reinstall it. It is not as good as AC in VR, but it is miles better than ProjectCars.

Thank you S3 for finally answering the call for VR. Now quit blaming Valve and fix your crap.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    It is actually a bug in steam vr, something to do with incorrect scaling or offset of a dx10 texture. Steam acknowledged their mistake and rectified it, then subsequently broke it again. So stop throwing sh1t at sector3 when you don't know what you're on about

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    • "Fix rendering issue seen in RaceRoom Experience caused by apps that pass in a DX10 texture from a DX11 device"
    Again, show me this occurrence with other titles. ETS, LFS have no issues using their custom wrappers.

I wasn't throwing anything at S3. I actually thanked them for finally bringing VR to the title. If this was a mistake by Valve then we would see this happening in other titles. It's exactly the same as Nvidia or AMD changing their driver software to accommodate a new title. It's not Nvidia or AMD's fault the game does not work well with prior drivers - it's the ones who wrote the code. The change to drivers is to accommodate those with that title and hardware to play the game properly. This keeps customers happy and is just good business practice, not an admission of failure.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Eh? Valve's API is not working as advertised in their beta. Which is fine because it's a beta so may have bugs. Like last time, valve is happy to fix it. It's been reported and will be fixed. By valve. Why would S3 reengineer their renderer to work around a bug that valve will fix? Why is this anything to do with S3?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody. I am also a VR user and played Assetto Corsa. I installed Raceroom after reading it also has VR support. Assetto corsa is running nice and smooth. Even on high settings. I read trough this forum for other peoples settings. I also use Simvibe. If I get everyting working, I prefer this game very much over Assetto Corsa. The sound!!!, The overall feeling, also with Simvibe. I am currently struggling to find settings that make it run smooth in VR. I am a rift CV1 user, I disabled asynchronous reprojection. ASW is better. I put all my settings on low, just track detail on medium. No AA. I use - VR 1.4. But still it is sometimes choppy (and that is without any other car on the tracks). Can someone help? Here are is my system setup:

I7 3930k (6 core) OC to 4.2Ghz
    16GB ram
    GTX 980 OC (165 GPU, 400mhz Ram)
    Simvibe
    OCulus Rift CV1

If they could make this run better I would purchase more content ASAP, but now I am holding off for better performance in VR.

Can someone help? Is my GPU underpowered?? Not for AC so?

thanks

11. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi, How Is this possible? I have a higher spec system, and I have to set everything on low, I run 1.4 and still it does not run smooth. ??

I really want this to work, because I have a feeling this could be my go to sim...

12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I use -vr 1.2, and have track detail on medium, track textures medium, car textures high, shader quality medium. Car shadows on and shadow split on, and shadows on low.
    Everything else off, or on their lowest settings.
    14 visible cars.

13. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks i will try that. What are your specs of your pc? Thanks

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, you can try to disable Hyperthreading for your CPU. Seems to help some to get rid from stuttering...

Have you checked your Framerates?

15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    In description below. :)

16. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I can not see the description below in my mobile phone, but I checked it on my PC. You have a higher spec PC then mine :). Is that the best you can get out of your system?

17. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I disabled hyperthreading. Does it change anything. Not very obvious. I will have to check the oculus tool for FPS. But i can not seem to get info. The strange thing is. If I put the video settings to high or low. There is not much difference in performance. It is ok. But what bothers me the most is that the steering wheel sometimes is choppy. If i test a car that i want to buy, on the test track the second S corner there is always a performance issue. But like I said. High or low settings. It is the same. The performance is doable.

Also a strange thing is the GPU usage. 60 to 65%. Cpu usage is high.

Other question. If i go to video settings. The resolution is 1280x920 but not 1920x1080. Only In VR.

Btw. My framerate in normal single screen mode (no VR) is around 110 fps with high settings.

What is your resolution in VR? And your gpu usage in VR?

Thanks

18. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    you have to remember this isnt final and is on its second pass as such , and on a dx9 engine

thanks

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I haven't looked at my GPU usage, and not that good with those things.
    But the resolution should be 1280x920 in VR, think this was changed between the first and second pass of VR to make a performance boost.

• Like Like x 1
  20. demaarten79

demaarten79 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    hi again. I did some extensive testing this morning. With the oculus tray tool working now I could check performance realy well. Ifound out that the OC program that is used for my gtx980 was giving problems. If I do not overclock my video card I have better performance :). I now am running -1.2 oversampling, almost everything on medium settings and 4x AA. It looks en performs really good now...

Now I can start to play and Enjoy the game. And spend some money on it :)

thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1