OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any double vision or eye issues but I swear everything was much crisper last week. The only thing I've changed is nvidia drivers. Rolling back now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well it looks like not entirely ignored. It seems if I remove the "-vr" option then the game just opens up on the computer monitor as normal, even though I started it from the SteamVR interface in the virtual home room. When I added it back in and tried again then it opened in VR on Oculus.

Also my Oculus view is now working in car - no problem with right eye now. I presume it was the SteamVR beta that did it - I didn't change anything else.

Another question - does the 2x, 4x, 8x supersampling options in the game video settings do anything for VR views or is that just used on monitors? If they do affect VR then do they just do the same thing as the SteamVR supersampling or do they combine together or what? I understand all supersampling renders each frame at a higher resolution and then scales finished frames down to screen/vr display size afterwards to give better anti-aliasing to each frame.

3. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    If you're referring to the AA, yes there is a difference between 2x, 4x and 8x. However, VR is heavily bottlenecked by the CPU at the moment so if you have a high end card like a 1080, you're likely to have issues with performance unless you turn down the number of cars displayed along with shadows and some other options.

4. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Those of you running nvidia drivers, what version are you using? I've lost performance somehow and i'm trying to make sure it isn't driver related. Right now, i'm on the 382.33 release for a 1080ftw.

5. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Geogan, are you using the SteamVR Beta update or are you running in opt out mode?

6. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the SteamVR Beta now, yes, why? I don't have the problem I had before with glitched right-eye if that's what you are asking about.

7. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I am using a GTX 1070 and using the Oculus debug tool I can see that even with that, the game drops down to 45fps when in even just High setting. I had to change it to Medium setting to get it to stay at 90fps as far as I can remember.

This happens with a lot of the VR apps I have tried. The strange thing is when I monitor the GPU/CPU performance using MSI Afterburner when these apps are running, I can see the CPU not going above 30% on any core and the GPU not going above 50-60% so I don't understand where the bottleneck is and why neither of them is going near 100%. Surely they both should increase until one of them hits 100%?

8. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can barely reach stable 90 fps when i race with only 17 AI and thats with a 1080 and a 6700K at 4,4Ghz and the game is cpu limited.

Even if you see your cpu-usage hovering at 30% it's most likely a cpu-limit because that does not necessarily start at 100% usage, especially today where most people have at least 4 cores but not all games or applications use all available cores. If a game only utilizes one core for example you can very well run into a cpu-limit with only 25% usage.

regards
    Quicksilver

9. Scorpean

Scorpean New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it was. I have updated to the latest SteamVR Beta and all is working well. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I understand. The thing is I was actually looking at the individual cores usage using the options in MSI to do a graph for each individual core and I didn't see any one individual core going up very high at all.

And yes the most stupid design feature of DX9/10/11 is that the main "draw calls" that games make are all serial and can only be run one after the other on a single CPU core - this is what the main bottleneck is. DX12 big feature is the draw calls can be run in parallel on multiple cores.

I have 6 real cores in mine but obviously DX10 or whatever this game is limited to can only use one of them for draw calls. I think the latest Intel generation is able to figure out which of its own cores is slightly faster than the rest and use that for single-core tasks which is a nice feature.

I guess the next thing I could attempt is a slight CPU overclock and see if that makes it any faster fps.

I'm surprised you only barely manage 90fps with a 1080 and 6th generation i7. Was that on High or Medium or some custom setting and what supersampling rate?

11. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Most settings on low, only a few on medium. The last time i tried was before the latest updates and i was using -vr 2.0.

regards
    Quicksilver

12. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    You aren't nuts I noticed right after the updates last week. I think windows,oculus and steam all updated on the same day so I don't know which one did it but it was noticeably better before.

13. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'll open a bug on this and see if we can get some developer attention. If I turn off mirrors, it was tolerable but it was so much better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. icemanfrance

icemanfrance New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hi.
    I've installed HTC vive.
    In shortcut , i've written -vr but this is the image...
    What's wrong ?

I've tried Assetto Corsa and It's working very well.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  15. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    hey guys i noticed that the game looks blurry n crappy after the update i tried other games rfactor 2 ac no issues only in this game i tried -Vr 2.5 which what i had from before. i also tried to remove -vr and depend on steam vr samething game looks like crap comparing to before any advie?

16. Consolefanatic

Consolefanatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me it still looks very sharp with -vr 2.0 and 4xMSAA (GTX 1080Ti), but how can I get the Image back on my Desktop while playing in VR, so that I can capture it?
    1 or 2 month ago i had no problem.

Thanx

17. icemanfrance

icemanfrance New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

no one can help me ?

I've uninstall the game. setting graphic low. I disable the nvidia surround for the triple screen.
    always the same problem

Raceroom works without VR
    Is there a parameter to modify in a file ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  18. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    In the secondary key bindings bind a button or key to the VR mirror function. This function en- / disables the mirror on the monitor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Consolefanatic

Consolefanatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanx :)

20. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know which settings drive CPU vs GPU? I understand we're capped by CPU, but i'm trying to figure out if there are any settings that are soley GPU dependant that I can turn up.