OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Help please.

I've followed the instructions in the original post. And RR wont launch in VR mode.... The rift continues to stay in oculus home.

2. -= Rooooney =-

-= Rooooney =- New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dan,
    so care about Case sensitive. You have to type in "-vr" not "-VR". Else if the game will start in 2D.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    @Dan84 do you have steamVR installed? It's required for Raceroom.

4. Conor[Tovak]

Conor[Tovak] New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any chance to have 'track map' fixed? Currently it isn't visible most of the time...just flashes on briefly every few seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was just mine doing this. Hope there is a fix.

6. SylverFyre

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I could be wrong but I believe this only happens with certain cars? There are several I have driven without the issue, but a few that have it.

7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Dont know if your problem solved, but make sure in Oculus home general settings you allow to run apps from unknown sources. Also since last update, if i start the game from home, it looks like nothing happens, however steam asks to let the game start with something like -waitformonitor command line parameter, it just forget to pop that window to be able to accept it. so after you start it form oculus home, just right click on your steam icon at the right bottom corner on your desktop, open steam library, and the window will pop, click ok, and the game will continue to load.

8. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean track map flickering? If so, what cars?

9. SylverFyre

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I'll need to double check these, but running VR, I believe that I have an issue with the mini map while driving the FRJ car at both Monza short and Silverstone International tracks. The map is usually invisible but will occasionally appear for a moment before disappearing again.

I haven't had this problem while driving the FRUS, FR-X, the Radicals, recent WTCC or DTM92 cars at a variety of tracks. The mini map appears and stays put solidly all the time I'm driving. Unfortunately I don't get to drive the rig often outside of weekends, but I'll try to get as much solid info as possible soon, if it would be helpful.

This is using the oculus rift on a GeForce 970, all with latest drivers, on win10.

The biggest issue I have though is more with the big performance hit I get with mirrors enabled :)

Thanks for your attention Kitsune

10. SylverFyre

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Hi [S3]Kitsune,
    So, I did about an hour or so running in various cars at Silverstone National and can confirm that the Formula Raceroom Junior car, most of the time, does NOT show the circuit minimap while driving. It does appear for a few seconds at a time at seemingly random places on a lap, but for me only once or twice per lap (once or twice per minute, approximately).

All the following cars show the circuit minimap perfectly, all the time:
    ADAC '13 Audi R8 LMS, Audi TT RS VLN, Formula Raceroom 3, Opel Omega 3000, P4-5 Competizione and Radical SR9 Judd.

Unfortunately I haven't had opportunity to try more cars yet and I limited myself to Silverstone National where I know I experienced the problem with the FRJ.
    I'm running Win10, i7 920 @3.2ghz, 12GB 1600Mhz RAM, Nvidia GTX970, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster TX.
    Along with Raceroom running at generally low settings, my system also had running Windows Defender, Steam and Crew Chief.

If any other details or tests would be useful, please just ask.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap! That's some dedication. I'll add this to the bug report, hopefully it's of some help to the guy fixing it!

12. SylverFyre

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    No problem at all, I had fun while sticking some laps together :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    You should apply to be a beta tester! :)

14. SylverFyre

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Not sure I get time to play enough to give worthwhile feedback :)

15. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hello, is there a way to play R3E without starting SteamVR? Thanks.

16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Not in VR.

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    No and it's something that is really frustrating.
    There is a common theme running through all the sims I play

Those that use the Oculus rift in Oculus mode, such as iRacing/AC/Project Cars 1/2 all work flawlessly in VR with good performance.
    And those that use openVR (SteamVR), such as Raceroom and rFactor 2 which have massive performance issues and are a constant ball ache to get working well.
    I understand the benefit of only having to develop for one sdk but this can't be a coincidence that all those running in Oculus mode work without any issues.

18. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    its is nothing about the number of sdk-s... current raceroom game engine does only support dx9, and Oculus sdk needs dx11.... case closed...the only workaround is openvr....

19. funkyfelis

funkyfelis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone else experienced missing shadows in VR?
    It was most noticeable to me the most at Imola - as I drive towards shadows that are cast on the ground by the environment, they just sort of vanish a few meters ahead of me as I approach them. If I toggle through to behind-the-car view, the shadows are there, and then when I toggle back into the cockpit the shadows are there, but as I approach the next patch of shadows those start disappearing from me again...

20. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes same behaviour in VR for me