OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    yeah, same here. It's like they're getting culled at the extreme edges of the screen - you can see similar behaviour when you turn your head. Shadows disappear when they're near the edge of your view

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Do you notice it on both sides or only on the right edge of view? I noticed it especially on the right side, together with some trackside-objects like flags or petrol pumps in the pits that disappear early on the right side when turning the head. (or appear to late on the right side for sure - depending on the direction of the head-turning ;) )

3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    it's on both sides, if i remember correctly

4. funkyfelis

funkyfelis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm for me it's not so much at the edges of my view but directly in front when the shadows are close to me. That is, I see shadows on the road in front of me and then they disappear when I drive toward them.

In the first two images you can see how the shadow disappears a consistent distance away from me as I drive out of the pit at Imola
    imola_pit_1.png imola_pit_2.png
    Below you can see how road shadows have vanished in front of me in the first person view, but when I switch to the 3rd person view the shadows are there.
    helmet_noshadows.png 3rdperson_withshadows.png

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I've checked that yesterday and you are right... it is on both sides and not to close to the edges...
    I've tried that on Hockenheim. While sitting in the Pits i pressed "Page Down" (or was it "Page Up"?!)-Key and the cam switched to the grand-stand on the other side of the pit. From there i can look to the Stand in the motodrom. Especially there the disappearing of the shadows which came from the roof of the stands while moving the head became quite obvious.

@funkyfelis I have that effect, too. Always about 10m in front of my car the shadow disappears like shown in your screenshots.

6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I can see that some of you have Oculus rift CV1, is that the HMD you are using when experience this?
    Cause I don't have shadows disappearing infront of me when I get close to them with my CV1.

What graphic settings are you using?

Edit: Does this happen in every time of day, or which time set are you using?

7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm using the Oculus Rift CV1 and yepp, it happens on every time of day setting.

I'm starting VR with Launchoption "-vr 2.0"

My graphics-settings are attached (startet without VR for Screenshots)

Attached Files:

8. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I think I have shadows on low.
    Can try again tomorrow with medium and see if that might be the cause.

9. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah - somewhat in that direction could it be. If I remember right I had shadows on high in the beginning and didn't had that effect. I'll give it a try in a moment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    So I was just fiddeling around a bit in the Graphics-Settings and found the Setting that caused that strange Shadow-behavior that was shown in the screens from @funkyfelis in that post: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/openvr-support.7109/page-31#post-130740

So the Setting was not linked to any shadow-setting. It was the Car-Reflection-Setting. I had it on low and switched to medium. After that, the shadow was not disappearing in front of the car anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Hm, I have reflections on low though, so it must be something more to it..

12. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    @m.bohlken did you happen to change something else for the try you did with reflections on medium?

13. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, I tried different settings but if the setting doesn't change anything I switched it back to the previous setting.

So I just tried that Setting back and forth - and yepp, that effect appeared and disappeard after changing that setting.

I've attached both graphic_option.xml in a ZIP-File - the one with that strange shadow = reflections low (graphics_option_not_working.xml) and without = reflections medium (graphics_option_working.xml)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Will make some testing on my system tomorow and see what I can come up with.

15. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I've tested this Reflection setting set to Medium but still have the vanished shadows...

16. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    maybe you can make a backup of your graphics_options.xml and copy the one from me (that with the "_working" addon) into your userdata-Folder?

17. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    @m.bohlken
    I have done testing with your settings that you experienced this shadow issue with, but I can't reproduce it..
    There must be something else that you guys that have this issue have in common.

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, strange... Do you have "Borderless Windowmode" in the Video-Settings?

19. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    What hardware is required to run the Oculus with the graphic settings at max?

20. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If it would be only max-settings... As Super-Sampling and MSAA is needed to get a crisp image, the demand for max-settings is very high. To be honest I'm not sure if everything maxed out is already possible with R3E in VR...

• Agree Agree x 1