OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    did u try older drivers?

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Couple of quick notes/thoughts

Absolutely try the screen resolution trick (setting in game resolution to 720P). That one was not minor for me.

I too felt like 4 months ago when I first started things were faster and somewhere it got worse. For me AI is actually the biggest culprit. More AI cars I have the slower and more stutters I would get. I also never get full GPU load unless I am playing multiplayer.

Next are you running a vive or a rift?

That steam error message has been around since the beginning of time. Only way I know of to get rid of it is to physically remove the cable from your video card. Once doing so I did not notice any difference at all. Other than no error message.

Next in steamVR what setting do you have on?

I hate this part of VR, but on both this game and assetto corsa I had to jump through hoops to get good performance and balance. Always there are people who say stuff like "liquid smooth" and "I have everything turned on max" - almost always they are running at 45fps which is in my opinion a very very poor choice for a sim. Since you have a 1080ti you should avoid that as well. Spend the awful hour finding the balance of performance to visuals to get you 90fps.

As a first few steps. ASW always on helps for the occasions it does dip just below 90fps. For testing turn that on in steamvr beta. Arcade mode is another I have turned on. Turn off interleave and async reprojection.

In raceroom, turn reflections to low (I wish there was a off). Turn mirrors to low. To LOD to low. Turn particles to low (especially being in stereo there is no need for more than low). Turn shadows to low for testing. Turn off the special shadow option for now too. Contact shadows I have set to 16, start with 10. I have AA set to 4 as I can't live without this. MSAA off as that just softens the images. I am running 1.6 super sampling turned on via -vr 1.6, but I would keep it at 1.5 until you have a steady system. Everything else I have turned all the way up I believe.

Start a race with only 10 AI. Imola is a good track for testing as turn 1 comes up and the AI get 2 or 3 wide. This tends to be the most taxing thing. If this runs smoothly - start turning up your options 2 at a time. It took me a good hour to find a good place where I could run with 18 AI.

If you are at 90fps without stutter, up the AI level to 15.

Worth noting different classes of cars have different level of polys. For testing stay with GT3 as it is one of the more taxing. I made the mistake of doing formula 3.

I am running a pretty over-clocked CPU (6950X at 4.4ghz) and a titan pascal over-clocked to 2040ish. Our systems are not that far off from each other when not using multi-threaded applications (like raceroom).

nathan

• Like Like x 2
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    You say you have AA set to 4 but MSAA Off! What AA is set to 4 if MSAA is Off?
    In game there is only MSAA or FXAA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaveS78

DaveS78 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I did the screen resolution trick (set mine to 720p) but I didn't really notice a difference. I've been testing the same cars on the same track (GTO at Road America) with 23 AI cars but only a practice session and not a race, so they aren't bunched up.

I currently have Steam VR set to 1.0 and I haven't been using Oculus Tray Tool as of late just to eliminate any variables. So I just have the launcher for Raceroom set to 1.5 for now. I have async reprojection checked in Steam VR but it always says it's off in the lower left and I don't know why. I am using a Rift so the Oculus Debug Tool may be overriding that anyways.

I've got most in-game settings to low/medium now but I can't handle track detail on low. Too much of the surroundings are missing and it's honestly distracting so I'll have to leave that on high. I'll keep messing with it until it gets annoying :p

5. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Yep, error on my part.
    FXAA off
    AA 4

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    If it says, mirroring is on, than close steamVR and wait until its completely closed, than start R3E in steam.
    Be sure, that steamVR is closed properly before starting R3E

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    @DaveS78 in addition to that what @FormelLMS said - in the past it was possible to activate a Screen-Mirroring directly in SteamVR. I'm not sure if it is still there. In the past it was in the little dropdown-Menu in SteamVRs Status-Window on the Windows-Desktop.
    In the SteamVR-Settings "Asynchronous Reprojection" should be activated as mentioned here in the opener of the Topic. On my system I had micro-stutters when I had it disabled.

8. DaveS78

DaveS78 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do that with R3E already but the message pops up anyways while I'm in the game.

It's not a big deal I guess. I messed around with all the GT3s at Bathurst last night and it ran fine for the 45 mins I played, quite smooth. Either some of the changes I made helped or Road America needs further optimizations.

9. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    FYI its possible to go lower than 720P if you change your screen ratio from 16:9 to 4:3. It helps

10. muzikant

muzikant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE = "2ndLastJedi, bericht: 142332, lid: 8533"] 1290x720 @ 59?
    Is de 59 belangrijk of kan dit 60 zijn? [

how can I changes this in game? in game I can`t change the resulution I have a 4k monitor 3840x2160 and now I have for 2 days a Rift... is it important to use 1290x720 2 59??
    eennd maybe some of your guys have some other tips...? I am compleet new in VR..... but man it is sooo good in simracing ;)

11. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If you are in VR, you will need to remove the -VR loading parameters.
    Then go into graphics settings and change the screen resolution.

Then re apply the VR parameters again.

12. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    how you do this?

13. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    You need to be in flat screen / monitor render mode to alter the screen resolution.

Right click on Raceroom in your Steam library and select launch options.
    If.you are using VR then you will have launch options set like this "-vr" possibly with a number after.

You need to clear these options so that the game loads onto the monitor. Then you will be able to set the resolution.
    Once you have changed it to what you want, close the game and set the launch options in Steam back to VR.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Oke mate I try this!

• Like Like x 1
  15. muzikant

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

I thx again in work ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. almkicker

almkicker Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

adjusting the HUD ist still not possible. The time deltas on the top could not be read. Any chance that this is changed soon?

Regards

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I thought this had changed so that you could edit the xml file now?

Changelog:
    • Hud_options.xml residing in My Documents is no longer encrypted, allowing players to edit and move HUD items around
    In VR however it would be really useful to have a system like PC2 where you can drag and drop the elements in real time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. almkicker

almkicker Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the info. Is there a chance to change colors, so one could better read the HUD?

19. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm honestly not sure.

I've not edited the file myself, but given its xml and not html I guess that might not be possible?

Think I'll have a look after work

• Like Like x 2
  20. almkicker

almkicker Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    #metoo