OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. AndiiLMS

AndiiLMS New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, first I want to say that im really enjoying Raceroom with my Oculus, it really takes it to another level :)

The game is running pretty well, not constant at 90 FPS but I think ASW makes a really good job.
    As I am very interested in recording videos to share it with my friends/viewers I am struggling with the picture crop I get when I reproduce it to my monitor. The picture has like a 'zoom' and with the seat position when I am driving there's almost nothing to see of the cockpit.

To explain my problem I recorded a lap driving

I know that I can move the seat backward to get a better view for videos, But usually I can't see my mirrors because of the seat position ( I only see the seat left and right.

Is it possible to get a better view for that?

Greetings, Andi

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to improve the screen mirror in VR?
    At the default setting of -vr the mirror is quite low res and poor quality to capture.

Increasing this setting to -vr 2.0 helps considerably but then performance drops.

This is an area that RaceRoom falls short of compared to all other VR titles whose screen mirrors are much better.

3. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I have this problem when race start in vr the menu is keep clikkering and i cannot play. It work fine with screen. Menus work in vr fine.

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    You have to reset your VR Position.
    You can assign a button for this in the Menu :)

5. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    The vr reset not solved the problem. The last menu where is drive i cannot move mouse in it. It work fine in screen...... I have installed the newest drivers for my gpu. And installed the game again.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I would have thought that setting the in game resolution to the native screen/monitor res would be the answer.

7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    With perfectly decent headsets down to $200 new, i took the plunge and grabbed a Dell VR118 Vision - works great! I've tried AC, R3E, and American Truck Simulator so far -all awesome but i do like R3E better than AC in VR, the graphic style seems to work better - the interiors are way more detailed than i ever knew too!

I'm running the same settings i used for triples, it's smooth as butter.

Going to need a straw for my coffee.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hello, something weird with the default camera position in cockpit: most of the time I have to move the camera if I want to have my virtual head right over the driver's neck.
    Why the camera position is off in most of the cars?

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I find it to be off also, the position and also the angle!

10. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    what headset are you guys using? I am on a vive and once I do a room setup my head pops up right on the shoulders 95% of the time without issue. Assetto Corsa on the other hand requires several attempts to get angle and position correct.

Of the 3 sims I play in fact (iracing being the other), raceroom does the best job in openVR for this problem.

I do have my in game chair movements mapped to buttons, so if I need an extra inch or want to simply be closer than the virtual body it's easy. I do sometimes sit a little closer as its near impossible to read the splits on some of the Motec displays

11. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is what I do to make minor adjustments. I agree, R3E usually comes up in the right place compared to others. I'm using a Lenovo and Acer HMD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I thought of something we need in VR, not an R3E thing, just VR in general. Well call them "crosses". They are little stickon devices with tracking built in to apply to any real world item. This is IN ADDITION to vr controllers.

In my case, the real world item is say a coffee cup. You stick on the cross to the cup. Think Truck Simulator., not racing. VR can now track this object via the cross and render in game. Setup would involve choosing said 3d model avatar for your device, and setting initial location.

Now you should be able to grab in game 3d model and see it move up to your face, take a drink etc. Of course possibilties are endless...ecig, asthma inhaler, etc...

Im guessing next post might be "they already have this you noob!"

• Like Like x 2
  13. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    https://www.vive.com/us/vive-tracker/ u mean those?
    in my case i can see quite a lot through nose gap so no need for that atleast now ;p my guess is that we will get irl overlay over vr via front cams in next gens so u can see and mix with vr what u desire

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yes that look like the idea! although i had in mind something that could be easily applied to a coffee cup or other small objects. But good to know they are on it.

I tend to keep all gaps closed, prefer to be fully immersed visually, while using speakers vs earphones so i can hear whats going on in the house (e.g. wife or kid needs me)

15. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. R. Kipker

R. Kipker New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Guy.. VR is great, is there any way to have it run both on screen and in VR? My screen is always black when in VR... makes it difficult at time with menu.

Duh... so this is what happens with this.... I'll try it.

VR Toggle Monitor View - This will spawn a new game window that you can use to stream/record in-game footage, or show to bystanders on a standard monitor. It will use the resolution set for the game while outside of VR..

17. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you can run a command on the start (check the Jan patch notes) or map a button to the option (found in advance controllers).

I will warn you - you should be running the non vr window in the lowest resolution possible. There is a major savings running the game in the lowest res independent of the default vr resolution (even if it’s turned off visually). That silliness was the single biggest FPS improvement recommendation I was given.

18. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, nathan is absolutely right. choose the lowest resolution.
    Easiest way is to take the startup option "-vr monitor" so you will have the game running in VR and on the monitor

• Like Like x 1
  19. rzsmith

rzsmith Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I prefer navigating thru the game menus in the 2D monitor view without the HMD on, but I usually turn off the monitor when I go 'in-car' so all my pixel-pushing power is focused on the headset.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, it’s pushing those pixels even when it’s black. Thus my surprise about setting the monitor resolution very low - you’d think it would not matter if you are not using the monitor. But it very much appears that it’s rendering 3 screens while in VR.