OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for these info. I was almost going to settle for 1.7 SS after some tests earlier today. Even tried setting affinity to just 4 cores, same results, as only 1 or 2 were running high. Got to try these settings tomorrow w/o shadows. Do these remove the shadows of trees as well (ie. flickering shadows)? What speed is your 4770 running at?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it removes those shadows too, my 4770k is running at 4.3GHz, edited that into my post too :p

RAM speed can also improve performance in r3e, I upgraded from 1600MHz to 2400MHz and gained 10-20% in fps in VR! though it really depends how bottlenecked you are, results may vary ofcourse :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    That is a nice tip indeed.

4. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Is it true that lowering the monitor mirror resolution helps with performance?

5. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that the video settings are greyed out in your settings file. How is this possible? Is it a read only file?

6. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    You can edit video settings only in no vr mode (so 2Dscreen). Adjust it, exit and restart in VR.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I can usually just edit video settings normally in VR !
    I haven't tried this file yet but can't they be adjusted like that ?

8. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thomas.

I tried your file and everything looks as good as its gonna get with the current Rift. I do miss the shadows but everything else looks good. Main thing is now I am holding 90fps all the time. Just did a 10 min GT3 test race at Nürburgring and it stayed at 90 entire race.

PS I can adjust video settings in VR just fine with this file.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I'll be able to test later today :) keen to have solid 90fps .
    Did you try shadows Low ? As you have a faster more cored CPU !
    Also is that SS in Steam as 200% or using command -vr 2.0 ?

10. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    When is start R3E in VR mode I cannot change all video settings in game. I have to restart in non VR mode and then I can e.g. change resolution. MSAA etc

11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    The only thing i haven't been able to change while in VR is resolution ! All other graphics settings are fine .

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BrianBosch

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    haha PC's are strange things. Back in the days of DOS and Wind95 I (tried to) understand the ins and outs of hard - and software. Nowadays I often except it as it is and find 'workarounds' with the help of forum sites like these ;)

13. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    :D I think you both are talking of 2 different areas inside 'Video Settings'. @BrianBosch should be referring to 'General Settings' which can't be edited in VR , while @2ndLastJedi should be referring to Custom Settings' which can be edited in VR :)

Whom are you referring to, w/ more cores?

Brief testing, so far performance seems almost similar, I can have MSAA x4, Textures and Shaders to High, Shadows Low, but with SS at 1.8. With 20 AI cars only. Still comparing which is the best compromise. Will try removing Shadows.

PS. What are Shaders affect, this part of reflections? And OT, for Sound, what effects are those sounds like gravel hitting the underchassis?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Dont you have a 8700k ?
    So far I'm trying AAx8 seems good but cars transform in from so im upping LOD to High and I need more cars visable so going for 35 visible .
    AA x 8 and LOD on High still 90 , testing visable cars now , i had to bail out of game because i got that crappy 5 fps stutter BS after 3 laps of solid 90 fps !

15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I was referring to your post above (https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/openvr-support.7109/page-50#post-154859), who were you referring to about having more cores? :)

With the settings similar to Thomas', I'd get 90 but few occasional dips (can't get it stuck fully at 90fps)... I'm guessing its Shadows, even at Low. FWIW, in my case, the '5fps judder' no longer happened after I stopped using MSI AB, too bad as I liked the graph stats.

16. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yes , dont you have a 8700k ? Thomas has a 4770 k ! 6 core vs 4 core !
    But that doesnt matter here , lol we are in R3E and i forget it only uses 1 core !

Also i reverted back to my settings maxed locked to 45 in R3E for me seems best !
    Sad but true .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  17. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes, 8700k. Didn't realize you were referring to me at that post, as my last post was way back :D So let us know when you get to find your optimum settings ;)

18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Afaik that is the same thing, there is now a vr launch option in steam which will use the global steamvr SS setting you set! (Don’t use the raceroom specific SS multiplier in steamvr, it scales incorrectly atm)

19. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to mention that, you should not use the raceroom vr mirror, unless you really can’t do without it. For recording you can use the oculus mirror (which is waay better quality) the only thing you lose is the static hud from the raceroom mirror

20. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    With the new vr launch option, does this mean we can remove the '-vr 2.0' parameter in launch options (and just optionally leave -monitor)? Also, does lowering monitoring resolution (in my case, 1280x720) help with performance?