OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Oh, we typed at the same time :D. Why is that, why shouldn't we use mirror? If performance, how much is it affected per your test? I currently use it as it's humid over here, and just wait until I click the Race button before putting on my HMD :)

2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    This is something you should test yourself, it is very system dependent. It can be a huge factor as it is basically rendering a ‘third eye’

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I settled back to max settings .
    I dont know what to do with SS as it doesn't seem to work with -vr 2.3 !
    If I use just -vr or -vr 2.3 it looks the same now after this latest update :( I tried setting Steam to 200% but fps went to 30 ! I had to drop back to 130% to be able to lock to 45 and not drop .
    I just don't know how to start R3E anymore ? Just use the normal method or the new Steam option ?
    But anyway using the new method at 130 % with Max settings and 8xAA looks better imo to the settings from @Thomas Jansen !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    ofcourse it will look better :D But I personally can't stand the 45fps + ASW in a racing sim. your launch parameter '-vr 2.3' does not do anything if you launch it directly in VR with the new option, it only uses that 200% value you set. If you launch it in the normal mode and you still have the '-vr 2.3' in your launch parameters it will work as before with 2.3x SS

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I tried the settings (file) and works great. I only did up some settings like a higer AA set to 8x, track detail a bit up etc. Just minor things and still a smooth experience.
    Will test some more but I won’t over test like I did in Pcars. On a certain point you don’t know what is good or what is not good anymore. With Pcars I almost forgot to enjoy the game. I only was busy with tweaking and testing. I drove zillion of rounds on Oulton Park. A track I would love to see in R3E by the way..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    That is exactly why I run these low settings, I never have to worry about fps drops in any scenario :D It just makes the game much more enjoyable for me in the long run

• Like Like x 1
  7. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yes exactly and that is why I won’t test it till I got mad.
    We know that we don’t have a high fidelity VR experience with the current hardware.
    Nevertheless I have the best gaming time since the day I started my first game (pong) back in the late 70’s.. lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    The lack of shadows is what kills it for me and just turning them up creates the issue so i may as well just crank everything and enjoy as much as possible ! For some reason R3E works the best of any Sim with ASW ! I have a perfect 90 in pC2 and as rF2 until i use a badly optimised mod .
    So im done with testing for them and just doing racing now ;)
    Cheers all for helping :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I also need some shadow. So I set it to low.
    Pcars still is the winner GFX wise. Just fired up Pcars again and it just looks so awesome. Late in the afternoon. The sun low on the horizon, light rays through the trees hitting the tarmac and with every round you see the sun sinking more behind the horizon. Starts to rain a little. Etc etc etc.. haha.
    I like Pcars. But the FFB is much better in R3E. Would love to see a combination of these two games.

• Like Like x 3
  10. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yeah , man they all have their strengths and then they all have such shortcomings !
    Just imaging the best bits from all in one mega Sim !
    I guess that's what dreams are for , lol at least we can just jump from Sim to Sim or just sit on one ! Its entirely first world problems , running top end PC's and still just wanting more o_O
    Well i aint getting a DD2 that's for sure :cool: although it would be sweet !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Your CSW will do of course.. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I also tried now to use 200% SS in steam VR options instead of using 2.0 in the startup arguments.
    My problem now is that the picture is just smaller. And the clicking areas for the mouse stayed the same so it's a guessing game to click the correct menu buttons now.
    How can I go back to fullscreen? Am I doing sth wrong?

Edit: Ok nvm I think I was adjusting the wrong slider lol. found another one now.

13. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good... are these increased settings (ie. higher AA set to 8x, track detail a bit up etc.) from Thomas' settings, and you're still getting fixed 90? Can you guys try 20 AI, GT3 cars @ Spa? I thought I had good settings earlier at Monza, but when I tried Spa, quite some dips.

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    tbh i don't see a difference in 45fps asw and 90fps in raceroom. So I'll stick with my relatively high settings and solid locked 45fps with full grid at Nordschleife 24h.

Thomas' settings just look (way) too bad for me to just have 90fps which I can't even tell from 45fps :p

15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Lucky you, and @2ndLastJedi. I do notice some smoothness lost, but manageable if you don't look on the fences. Seems the track also matters. Well, at least there are options :)

16. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Well it does surprise me that i can tolerate 45 ASW in R3E but not in AC , rF2 or pC2 !
    I can see the artifacts easily in R3E but the smoothness is pretty good where the other titles it's the artifacts and smoothness that are really bad if not locked to 90 fps .
    I can't stand to have ASW kick on and off as that's worse than anything but in those other titles i don't need to sacrifice much settings to get that 90 fps but R3E its to much low settings .
    So yes lucky me on this one because even after using Thomas's settings going back to my full settings was just as smooth !?!?!?!? but looked so much better ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    yeah strange for me too. In pcars2 and rf2 it's really not that comfortable having 45fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Indeed pcars and ASE 45 FPS is not workable. R3E and ASW at 45fps is no problem at all. So
    I will go back to higher settings and do some more testing to find the sweet spot and then I call it the day. Race instead of tweaking the gfx . Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure what changed, but I started to hit the following problem with Oculus and Raceroom. All is running as usual when game starts, but after a bit of practicing/racing game turns into a slideshow. Any suggestions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I have a start option since today, for Steam VR. If i use this option, i have not the monitor on (so i can not sie on the monitor simultaneusly (-monitor option)).

Hm, what to do? Start in normal mode with -vr 2.0 monitor command or user the new one? where can i switch on monitor an set SS now?