Opinion on new GT3 BOP changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Dandy Highwayman, Feb 1, 2018.

1. The Dandy Highwayman

The Dandy Highwayman Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think overall the latest BOP is very good, the cars on average seem pretty balanced.

From a gameplay point of view, ignoring realism, the M6 would be a lot more popular with better brakes, it can do good laptimes in the hands of a skilled driver (and setup maker) but the average driver will likely be well off the pace in it.

Very much enjoying the Audi R8 since the patch and have been tweaking it to get every last tenth out of it at Zolder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. elkingdu50

elkingdu50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind the fact that a car can perform very well on some tracks and perform a bit bad on others tracks. This is also part of the BOP ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. The Dandy Highwayman

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yes, which is why I test at a variety of circuits, and different circuits at that, Zolder, Zandvoort, Spa and Silverstone are quite different and should provide enough variety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    After been driving the AMG for most of the time now (Nearly 2 months) I must say it's growing on me with faster and more consistent lap times. I might have to reevaluate my opinion on the BOP for the Porsche and the Corvette, as it looks now I can stay close or even be a little faster :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christian Moreau

Christian Moreau Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The feedback I'm reading in this thread post BOP patch regarding the M6 is pretty spot on. The top speed and low end power is really good now making it a competitive car again in the right hands. I used to drive the M6 almost exclusively but couldn't use it in league races anymore as it just wasn't competitive enough pre-patch.

In terms of further improvements, if they're going to be done, we need to be careful here. The car is already pretty good as is. I usually take all the cars around the Nords VLN layout and thrash them around to see what they can do. I managed a 7:55 on the leaderboard, and with a few mistakes cleaned up, would've been an easy 7:53. I'd say just a very slight improvement in brake power, and perhaps adding a tiny bit of the front downforce that was removed but not much more than that. The car is still crazy good in the high speed stuff where I would expect it to be. Also, as Alex said, this car has the largest wheelbase in the class along with the Bentley, it's always going to lose out the agility competition to the likes of the R8 and AMG.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
  7. The Dandy Highwayman

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    :D

Well, not only BMW and not really a buff. ;) That's one of the effects of the BoP. The manufacturers don't need to stuff too much money into making their cars faster - as long as they can achieve a competetive speed to begin with. It doesn't make sense anyway, because if you're too fast you get nerfed, and if you're too slow you get buffed - without the need of R&D. The manufacturers usually only make their cars more driveable so at least a gentleman driver can achieve better results - and sometimes more reliable.

BoP leads to less technical advancement but to less cost also. Some like it, some don't. But to be honest, without BoP any GT racing would be a mess. The road legal counterparts of GT racecars are just too different to be put in one class without any BoP. Unlike TCR where about all mass-production-manufacturers have a 2.0 litre turbo charged petrol engine in an FWD car in their lineup. These cars surely need to be balanced a bit too, but due to the similarity in the technical base it's a lot easier than in GT racing.

Regarding TCR and BMW - I'm curious to see if BMW will build a TCR car as soon as the next generation of the 1 series BMW is launched worldwide, as it is already known to have FWD. AFAIK there already is a variant of the 1 series BMW out in the Asian market that has FWD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Malicious toungues could claim, this seems to be a bit systematic for the Bimmers regarding DTM 2016 (iirc) and the M8 GTE (German).:eek:;)

10. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Well, the links I posted describe improvement the manufacturers implemented themselves to their GT3 models, nothing BoP-related. So nothing fishy to see here... :D

But the article states that the M8 already has the best BoP rating and might have a fundamental problem with its size. And to be honest I also didn't understand why BMW chose to use such a huge cars for GT racing lately. The M6 GT3 is shorter than the M8 GTE but has an even longer wheelbase (remember what @Alex Hodgkinson wrote), width is identical on both cars.

Looks a bit like the big BMW GT-boats shouldn't be racecars in the first place. :cool: I still like to drive it and RL GT3 shows that it can be successfully BoPed...somehow... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    ;)

12. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    It can be a tactical move for the upcoming Le-Mans and other endurance races to use a "big" car. Biggest problem for a race engineer is where to put all the radiators for cooling but still have a car with decent "aerodynamics". I remember when this video came out in 2015, I was so amazed on how they could make a small car like the BMW Z4 as reliable as it was for the 24h races at Nordschleife :eek: ... but to honest I have no idea.
    It might be a marketing stunt for sales kind of thing (Race on Sunday sell on Monday)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I believe that it could be simple mathematical logic that pushes the desire for bigger race cars.
    A bigger car has a bigger surface area and therefore will generate more downforce. It also will have decreased outside tyre loading due to less weight transfer, given it's size. It can be built to be more or less the same weight as a smaller car, and will have the same power output. So given all those factors and after BoP, you're most likely left with a car which is kinder on it's tyres.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    New GT3cars Bop (My Research)

[Discussion]
    BMW M6 GT3
    It was given the most benefit of BoP this time.
    With powerful downforce and powerful engine power, it has competitiveness comparable to Porsche.

P4 / 5 COMPETIZIONE
    MCLAREN 650 S GT3
    PORSCHE 911 GT3

With a powerful downforce, cornering performance is very excellent.

CALLAWAY CORVETTE C7 GT3-R
    MERCEDES AMG GT3
    (<- This does not seem to have changed, though ...)
    AUDI R8 LMS
    Just a little better performance up.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT3
    CHEVROLET CAMARO GT3
    FORD MUSTANG GT3
    MCLAREN MP4-12C GT3
    Audi R8 LMS Ultra
    BMW Z4 GT3
    BMW ALPINA B 6 GT3
    FORD GT GT3
    RUF RT12R GTR3
    NISSAN GT-R GT3
    MERCEDES - BENZ SLS AMG GT3

These will be race difficult for the old GT3 car because the downforce and power are inferior.
    You can see clear differences at lap times.

[conclusion]
    If you want to be at the top in the race, or if you want to leave good lap times on the leaderboard, you have to get on the new GT3 Car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  15. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018