Opinion: What the best car to learn in?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Nash Bobo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
  2. roller.inside

roller.inside New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you want to go absolutely for free... the FRj is the toughtest teacher you will find, will not forgive errors, nor bad manners. I absolutely agree with all others that recommended it to you!!!

If it's hard for you and you are out of the track or spining all of the time, I suggest you to buy the NSU TT. It's a "no helps" car which will be very affected by anything you do wrong, but doesn't punish as much as FRj. You can even try it for free unlimited time until you learn.

If I have to choose... I definitely would start with the NSU because it's slower so you will have time to think between "events" and then react, learn, etc... you will learn the track and then, later, you can do it faster with any other car. If things happen too fast, you will collapse and be out of the track too much time.

You should watch this playlist:

The way to go is:
    1.- Choose one car, do some laps until you are able to do it without going off-track, doesn't matter the laptime!
    2.- Watch ONE video of the list
    3.- Go on the track again and try what you learned in that video.

Don't watch more than one video each day, and don't practice more than one video each day. Your brain and muscles need time to get used to the new things you are forcing them to learn. Less is more. Be patient.

Final tip: give yourself a treat and play from time to time with easier cars to drive (Shilouette for example) in Raceroom Raceway (which you can go offtrack without loosing too much time), it's simply fun and you will enjoy everything you learned :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I agree with @nickh158

There's a big difference between;
    1. Which is the best car to drive to learn the tracks and have fun?
    2. Which is the best car to drive to learn the physics engine of the game?
    I'd start by learning the tracks with an easy car to drive so that you can focus primarily on learning the corners without having to spend a lot of mental focus on handling a car that feels out of control because you don't understand how the physics work.

So you want a car that has ABS and Traction control for starters
    As Nick suggested the BMW 235i and the Audi TT`s are excellent for the following reasons
    • They are stable; If you don't overdrive them they will easily stay on the track and are easy to manage
    • They are slower which gives you more time to observe and think about what's coming up and it this makes it easier to learn and follow the racing line
    From there you can move up to the GT3's which are faster but they still have ABS and TC and the games physics engine starts to become more important

The GT4's are then good progression because they have a more obvious weight transfer feel about them and still have ABS & TC. They are slower than the GT3's but this gives you more time to think to learn and feel the physics of weight transfer.

Then I'd got to the GT1's as these don't have ABS or TC so you now have to learn how to be gentle on the brake and throttle

The biggest thing to learn about the physics engine is to understand what weight transfer means; actually everything is about weight transfer, it doesn't matter whether you are driving the slowest and easiest car or the fastest and most technical car understanding weight transfer and how to use it will make you faster and help you understand the good and bad behaviour of a car and your setups.

There are heaps of youTube videos on the theory of weight transfer and I suggest viewing a few so you can understand the concept.

• Agree Agree x 1