Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    An opinion then, hopefully constructive

I have been in this year 2020 increasing the canned effects like tire slip and also add road bumps from json file tuning because of my goal to reach a better feel with some cars

To the point that maybe i went too far leading me to heavily dislike cars like the M1 or the bmw m2 cs

Last week i decided to dump that and run a vanila like FFB settings and leave my controller.json alone

And guess what bingo, car physics feeling back to what i believe these cars would do IRL, and so was this sim enjoyment

2. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    json.....on raceroom:oops:
    json on rfactor 2;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    punaise je me suis trompe:p

yes I was talking about the RRE .rcs file, not json:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Porvette

Porvette New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rfactor 2 is the most realistic of all the racing sims. What is the proof of that statement? Real F1 teams all use Rfractor 2 in the simulators. They use the same physics that we all use except they can program certain aspects of their team cars into the sim. Obviously F1 can afford to use any sim they wish but choose Rfactor 2 as being the best suited for their drivers to practice on. Iracing has always put way to much speed reduction due to tire scrub (when entering a corner to hot) on their front wheels. Another feature of iracing that needs improvement is being able to trail brake without spinning the vehicle. Much more difficult in iracing than in a real car on a real track.

5. RIZZI

RIZZI Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I am not here to say if rFactor is better or not, I prefer not to comment on the r3e forum, I also have rFcator 2 and iRacing
    However professionals use rFactor pro and not rFactor2 which is inaccessible to players like us, we do not
    http://www.rfpro.com/

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Porvette

Porvette New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Rfactor2 is definitely the most accurate motorsport sim as you spend hours on setting up anfd fixing things with the game before you are able to race.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I came to read about Raceroom physics and ended up in a rfactor thread lol :)

Regarding rfactor pro....
    If you scroll down to the motorsports section
    http://www.rfpro.com/motorsport/
    you will find This...

Although predominantly a tool for engineering development, set-up calibration and testing, some of our motorsport customers also make use of rFpro for driver training, particularly for complex steering-wheel controlled on-car systems.

Regarding iracing, the last update + hotfix has improved the bouncy suspension over curbs and has also updated the tire compound to give it a grippier and stiffer feel.

Overall non of them fully represent a real life feel....but they all have there place and are fun.
    The deciding factor of what is good and bad imo really comes down to your imagination, personal settings, person preference and your gear.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes, for me the engine braking setting has been a game changer in RRE. It has helped a lot with cars that were previously twitchy under braking or turn in and that no other setting could fix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  10. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Just came back after about 6-8 months of not playing this sim (actually uninstalled :().

I have an SC2 Pro and I was a big fan of R3E early on despite some of the physics being a bit arcadey and too easy. I really like what Alex did early on with the changes and the Porsche Cup car in particular (before the ABS/TC nonsense) was one of my favorites of all time.

Somewhere around the time of pneumatic trail this sim was lost for me. I tried it again today and the feelings are better but very similar to why I left previously. The feedback from the car after pneumatic trail was implemented has become very rubbery and dampened near center. I'm not one for effects or heavy jolts, but it feels like every piece of feedback is smoothed out beyond recognition and it takes the fun away for me. I'm constantly feeling like i'm pushing through a rubbery/mushy wheel and it just doesn't make for a good experience. It's strange because usually with a DD wheel you're trying to find a way to dampen the jolts or smooth out the feedback. This sim is the complete opposite now. I'm trying to find a way to bring some of it back.

Anyways, my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

11. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    @tlsmikey I've been using a SC2 for several months now and I've summarised the settings I recommend here.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  12. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Error on that link, but i'm using your settings with the exception of steering rack at 30%.

13. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    That's likely where that mushy/springy feeling around centre is coming from. The steering rack setting isn't currently working as it should be, so I recommend not using it at all.

Fixed the link too.

14. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Are you suggesting the steering rack setting should be set to zero?
    If I have it set less than 40 the suspension feels like my dads old v8 falcon with it’s worn out shockers. At 40+ the care feels more natural to me but once I’m over 60 I start to loose the suspension feeling

15. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It feels even more dead with it at 0%.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  16. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, went back and tried 0%. It feels worse to me as well, but both suffer the same problem that I reported earlier.

Just as a reference point, I've had an Accuforce for years up until a month ago when I switched to a SC2 Pro. I had the exact same impressions with the Accuforce that I currently have with the SC2 Pro. I don't think it's a setup or wheel issue as much as the change that occurred around the time pneumatic trail was introduced. The feeling is just dead and mushy compared to any other sim out there.

17. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    increase the lateral forces

And steering rack at 0

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nenah

Nenah Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    For example the Scirocco: I don't ever recall my Scirocco back in the days just completely losing the rear and flying off or going sideways at Schwedenkreuz. Ever.
    And it didn't even have slicks or a race suspension. Just (wider) street tyres and a (germany) street legal Koni suspension and it still behaved a lot, A LOT better on the track.
    The (old) VW typical understeer feels very good in this game, but the loose rear is just out of hand. Which is a thing in every car in this game it seems. There is no real oversteer or understeer behaviour in cars. They all have BOTH. Which is fine to a point. It just feels a bit too much.
    I tried out some ACC today and all in all the cars in that game are a lot easier to drive (more arcade-ish), but the general "behaviour" so to say feel a lot more realistic. They also have the understeer/oversteer but it's not as harsh as in R3E
    They also feel a lot stiffer where the cars in R3E feel like they are driving on balloons. Sort of.
    Hope this makes any sense. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    FWD racecars are intentionally built to be excessively oversteering. You can't compare this to any road legal car, even with some sort of sport suspension. These cars will never be as oversteering as a purpose built FWD racecar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Andrew_WOT1

Andrew_WOT1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is the best I could do on SC2 Pro, open to other suggestions.

Attached Files: