Optimal tire temperatures and pressures

Discussion in 'Car Information and physics updates' started by ShortyBuzzGER, Jun 14, 2022.

1. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    This thread refers to the Adjusting tyre pressures thread from Alex but it takes it a bit further.
    I was curious about the optimal pressures and temperatures one should aim for and after seeing some other people on discord interested in this as well I decided to tackle this.

How did I do that? Just opening a leaderboard challenge with every car available and looking at the settings screen. For reference: it was all on RaceRoom Raceway Bridge (as it was a nice little track with small loading times). It still should be the same everywhere else.

So here we go:
    Cars are sorted alphabetically by their full ingame name.
    [​IMG]

NOTE: FWD cars won't reach the given values for the rear wheels. They will become and stay cold whatsoever. But it is still programmed like this. ;)

NOTE: Theses values are the ones you should look for during racing/while driving, not setting those values in the setup menu. Due to friction and so on the pressures will be higher as in the setup menu.

I still need help filling in the values for the cars that are not buyable anymore.
    And as you can see with Alfa Romeo, even a car with the same name can have different values between the years. So controlling the rest of the cars I don't own would be appreciated.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR - WTCR 2020
    Audi RS 3 LMS - WTCR 2020
    Citroen C Elysee WTCC - WTCC 2014
    Citroen C Elysee WTCC 2015 - WTCC 2015
    Citroen C Elysee WTCC 2016 - WTCC 2016
    Citroen C Elysee WTCC 2017 - WTCC 2017
    Cupra Leon Competitción - WTCR 2020 / WTCR 2021
    Honda Civic TCR - WTCR 2020 / WTCR 2021
    Lynk & Co 03 TCR - WTCR 2020 / WTCR 2021
    Lada Vesta TCR - WTCR 2021
    Hyundai i30 N TCR - WTCR 2020
    Porsche 911 GT3 R - ADAC 2018 / GTR 3

NOTE: All other hidden classes and cars (like DTM or ADAC Esports) are neglected in this list. They probably are the same anyway, but you never know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I thought tyre pressures were fixed and hidden on leaderboards. How did you see the supposedly optimum ones?

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    One thing I can.say about this, especially for the fwd cars. The temps for the rear tyres in leaderboard aren't optimal, in fact they give too much grip which upsets the balance of the car, they are designed to run colder. Alex has commented previously that he does not like this anomaly.

4. ShortyBuzzGER

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    They are fixed, that is why I could write them down. They are visable just like when you do practice or qualy in the setup menu on the first page.

5. ShortyBuzzGER

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah, I also commented in the post that the fwd rear tires are wrong and are usually always cold and the settings are wrong for them. But interesting that Alex says it is an anomaly and not done by him :thinking:

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Right and are these pressures different from the default setup ones?
    Maybe I am thick but I don´t see what there is to gain from this as if you are running with tyre degradation enabled then the pressures are going to vary according to the heat put into the tyres and you are never going to see 85 degrees on the FL at Zandvoort no matter the pressure you use - or am I missing the point?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    @ShortyBuzzGER I don't know why your Hyundai i30 has 182/199 tyre pressures, it's 157/172 for me (from both 2018 and 2020 pack).

Also these:
    Citroën 2014-2017: 85, 179, 184
    Lynk&Co 2020: 85, 158, 172

8. Rowan Unning

Rowan Unning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    seems good as starting reference point.
    thx

9. ShortyBuzzGER

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    It is as reference. Of course there are extreme tracks like zandvoort where one tire is burning. Still these numbers are the ones to aim for basically.
    I added a line stating these numbers are the ones you should look for while driving, not setting in the menu.

Because you looked at the wrong spot :D
    I said i used the graphic on the first setup page in leaderboard mode, you wrote down the current setup values from pages 2 and 3.
    i mean this:
    [​IMG]

So as we can see: the optimal pressures are higher (because of friction and so on) as the values from the setup.
    Again, these numbers are the ones to look for, not to set it straight up in the setup pages. that obviously doesn't work. Using the practice session and looking for the tires is essential anyway.

Attached Files:

10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Interesting collation.

You have to of course respect that these will be wholly unattainable as circuit layouts ensure that you have to find a compromise. For example, at the Nordschleife. If at the end of Dottinger Hohe you're getting nicely even temperatures across all four corners which are close to this chart, you're almost certainly overcooking the tyres on other parts of the track.

Also needs to be remembered that you can only adjust pressures whereas temperature is an relatively uncontrollable variable.

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Exactly my point. Also, although you can adjust pressures in the pits you can´t control them either after that as the tyre pressure goes up when the carcass gets hotter the air heats up and expands - that´s why you re supposed to take pressures on cold tyres. Ideally the game should indicate the real pressures and not the ones set in the garage - AMS2 does this in the HUD so you can see the change as you drive. I´ll check next time I play but IIRC RRE only shows the wear and temp in the HUD.

It would also be good to be able to adjust pressure in fixed setup rooms just like brake balance and brake pressure as the defaults are not suitable for all tracks/drivers. The Starter pack circuits used on fixed setup rookie servers all just happen to be especially demanding on front tyres.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Ah, so that's why. Then I suppose you can use Test drive for that too, not only Leaderboard challenge. At least the numbers I see are the same as in your list.

Anyway, I agree with Vale and see no point in looking at these pressures other than out of curiosity. If you adjust pressures and cambers like Alex describes, you don't look at pressures at all, you only look at temperature spread across each tyre and then click pressures up or down. And I guess on most tracks you'll have a strong asymmetry in temps between left/right side and therefore in pressures as well - all while your temp spreads are around optimal.

Like that. You start with a default setup, drive several laps and get this:
    amg-gt4-temps-default.jpg

Then you increase/decrease pressures (I didn't change camber here) and get something like that:
    amg-gt4-temps-adjusted.jpg

That was a Merc GT4 at Most. If instead of temperatures I tried to aim at pressures from your list - 177.5 front, 180.5 rear - I'd have all tyres over- and under-inflated and less uniform temperature spread.

Reference pressures maybe make sense in a game where default setups are bad and you need to at least start at something drivable and work further. But that's not the case with Raceroom, default setups here are a good starting point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    These are pressures on Citroëns: 181.5, 186.6.

I don't own a Porsche 2017 unfortunately.

15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    In the GT3 cars at least, the IMO temperature spread is not even when I set up the cars to reach these pressures. In the Corvette for example, the temperature spread is even at roughly 177 kPa. With 180 kPa, the middle temperature is already too hot compared to the average of the inner and outer temperatures.

16. doomsday

doomsday New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    do you kindly have an updated version?
    thank you