Question Oscillation help

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Rmbonk86, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    As the title states -

I have some oscillation going on and i'm not sure how to either eliminate it or at least reduce it. I have a Thrustmaster TMX wheel. FFB settings that I am using are from Georg Ortner link he has shared on his channel. I get the oscillation a slow and high speeds. When i drive my car and let go of the wheel IRL this doesn't happen so I would thing it should be like that in sim ( I may be wrong ).

other settings i have changed in the .rcs file are
    FFB steer force exponent of 1.0
    FFB steer force grip exponent="1.0
    & FFB steer force balance mode="3"

But i was still getting the oscillation prior to making changes to the rcs file.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I get the same thing. It's because your steering wheel is not connected to road wheels that have momentum keeping them pointing in the direction of travel. Instead it's trying to simulate this by the motors "pushing" the wheel back to the centre, which inevitably makes it go a little past centre so the the motors "push" in the opposite direction, etc etc... which gives oscillation.

The answer is to keep your hands on the wheel... like you would in real life. :) Or dial back the forces that cause centring, but that would mean potentially losing other FFB effects and details.

3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    What Force Feedback Minimum Force(in-game settings) do you guys use ?

4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I recommend:

Damper at 50%
    Vertical load: 0
    Lateral force: 50%
    Steering rack: 100%

In the .rcs:

FFB steer force exponent="0.575" // << Try increasing this value a few % at a time
    FFB steer force balance mode="0" // << Leave as standard

5. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    well of course i keep my hands on the wheel lol , i just noticed the shake and just drove down the strait of Bathurst in practice with no AI to see.

6. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I have been trying different settings.. right now I have mine set to 12. if i have it too low I loose some road feel.

Thanks Alex, I will add some damper when I get home. About the Vertical load.. if change that to 0 wont i loose the feeling of bumps and such? Currently I have 60 Vertical and 30 Lateral

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    No, you shouldn't do, at least with the most up to date cars. The vertical load is about amplifying the feeling of going over crests or down compressions, but it's not necessary if you use steering rack at 100%, as the forces at the rack are already reacting to those conditions.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Alright I tried the settings suggested and the shake in the wheel goes away, but I chose i different car. At the time of writing this I was using the Cayman at Bathurst.

This morning I chose a different car, the GT2 RUF RT12 with the suggested settings. I decided i would Put the settings back to what I had just to see and there was no shake.. so would the oscillation that I’m getting differ per car and track ?

I will take the GT2 RUF to Bathurst down the back strait where I was noticing it most to see

9. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Drove the RUF rt12 at Bathurst and still get the shake, not as bad but still present. Mind you this was with my original settings and the suggested. Also drove at Paul Ricard with the Ruf down the straights and zero shake there. Which leads me to think that I’m just going to accept the fact I will have shake lol per car and track