Overclocking the AMD FX-8320E

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gp20, May 15, 2016.

1. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I came to the conclusion (more an intuition) that i had to improve the CPU performance.
    Hopefully the 8320 is "overclockable".

Two points you have to know before starting :
    1_ how to reset the bios to the default values
    2_ how to check the CPU temperature

1_ there is a jumper "CMOSCLEAR" on my motherboard. If i want to set back the Bios's default values i just have to move the jumper then power on the computer, power off and move back the jumper.
    It's useful when you try settings that do not work and freeze your computer (and the Bios). You have to restore the default values in order to make a new try.

2_ In order to check the CPU temperature i'm using CPUID.
    http://www.cpuid.com/

CPUID tools record max and min values so i start the application then i start the game, play a moment, then stop the game and check the CPU temperature max value if nothing has freezed.

I'm still using the default ventirad which is noisy and not as efficient that some specific ventirads.
    This limit the overclocking.

Actually i'm able to use 4.2 Ghz with a max temperature of 69°C reach with AC at fulls settings in 1080p.
    I played last evening about 2 hours AC, R3E, RF2, Pcars at 4 Ghz without any issue.

I will post here the settings i'm using.

I'm waiting for a new ventirad which, i hope, will allow me to reach the 4,8 Ghz.

Is it useful?
    Yes with no doubt. All games run smother, in particular R3E and AC, i still have some micro lags when i take a corner with few cars around me in Pcars.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    :eek:

I really hope that's not your CPU core temp...max safe CPU core temp for AMD FX CPUs is around 62°C, but I wouldn't recommend running it for hours on end at those kinds of temperatures either, try keeping it around 55°C max for extended periods of use. What's your Vcore for running at these settings ? And on what motherboard are you running your CPU, does it have heatsinks for the VRMs (voltage regulator modules) ? 'Cos if it doesn't, you're risking burning out both your CPU and your motherboard running them at these kind of temperatures... Did you check your motherboard temp as well ? Also: did you check your thermal margins with AMD Overdrive ? Keep these in the double digits at all times !

Anyway, my advice would be to stop running this overclock until you get a better after-market CPU cooler and possibly some extra case fans.

For example: I'm running my FX-6300 at 4.7ghz with 1.42 Vcore offset voltage and load line calibration disabled, and generally it's maxing out at 40-43°C under heavy load (gaming or stresstesting with OCCT or Prime95). Last week we had a bit of hot weather here with outside temperatures of 27-30°C and my CPU was reaching 46-47°C max (it's in one of the hottest rooms of our house actually) when playing R3E for a couple of hours. The reasons why I can run that overclock at those temperatures are (click the spoiler in my signature for the exact components):

- a very good CPU cooler, with high quality thermal paste applied to the CPU
    - a solid motherboard with big VRM heatsinks
    - a quality gold-rated PSU
    - plenty of in- and outtake case fans
    - a case with good airflow

And I only considered this overclock safe after days of trial-and-error and countless hours of stresstesting with OCCT ( http://www.ocbase.com/ ), Prime95 ( http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html ) and IBT ( http://intelburntest.en.lo4d.com/ ).

Overclocking can get you a nice performance boost, definitely on AMD CPUs, but overdoing it can cause big-time damage real quickly, so proceed with caution I'd say. Here's a good guide to overclocking AMD FX CPU's, in case you're interested:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

3. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I think that people are a little bit shy about CPU temperature and it's probably better like that. By the way your CPU will fail before burning a track. Mine failed at 77 degres. lol
    I read in a french news that they reach 105C° with an FX 9590. There you must be close to burn a track. lol

Anyway, the motherboard is an AsRock 970M Pro3
    I'm using a Buss speed of 210
    CPU speed 4000 Mhz
    Vcore 1,35 volts

I played 2 hours today with IRacing but i think that IRacing is not CPU intensiv.

4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I have always oc`d and never in my time spent days running bench after bench stressing and the like, each to their own but unless your doing data critical computing i think its pointless, day 2 day where all you want is your computer to do your everyday things oc and test, ok it works, bit faster, it works and so on till it dosnt then back off a little and away you go. Be sure it will run all i want it to without locking up or freezing job done!
    As for the overclocking...50% Oc here, http://www.anandtech.com/show/8864/amd-fx-8320e-cpu-review-the-other-95w-vishera/2
    Here too http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8320e-processor-review,18.html

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    To each their own indeed, I'm not claiming that being 24h stable and error-free with tests like OCCT and Prime95 guarantees absolute system stability at all times, but in my opinion these tests provide a fairly good indication as to wether your overclock is going to be stable or not. And in the long run, I prefer to be safe than sorry ;) That's one of the reasons I'm using offset voltage rather than LLC 'cos that way I can enable AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, allowing the CPU to clock down to 1.4ghz and drop the core voltage to 1.056v when my PC is idle.

OK: the first overclock is done on a 12+2 power phase mobo, a 1250w platinum rated PSU and water cooling. The second one is done on a 6+2 power phase mobo, a 1200w platinum rated PSU and also water cooling (I think?). Both setups are capable of delivering lots of clean power to the CPU (and other components) and keeping it cool enough in the process.
    The OP has a 4+1 power phase micro ATX mobo, and I assume he's using the stock CPU cooler. Personally I wouldn't be pushing too much of an overclock on that setup, but hey: that's just me.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    4ghz is still reasonable, but I am surprised though that your CPU is running so hot at that speed... The 8320 should be able to handle that overclock on just a little over stock voltage. Have you tried lowering Vcore to something in the 1.30 range ? If it runs stable at that voltage, it will drop your temps a bit already.

And I would look into getting an after-market CPU cooler if I were you. If you're not going for extreme overclocks, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo will do the job nicely. And it's quite cheap too, excellent value for money if you ask me (I used one before upgrading to the Noctua). But definitely measure your case first to make sure you have enough room for the heatsink.

7. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
  9. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I received the new cooler.
    With AC almost all maxed in 1080p :_ 4,4 Ghz - 1,38Volts - 55 °c temp max.
    I think that i will stay like that.

Now i'm waiting for a new HD. I never thought that this one (320 Go) will be full so quick.
    Yes it was small but i'm just using a few games.
    SSD are too expensiv i finaly went for an SSHD 1To with 32 Go SSD, this one :
    http://www.cdiscount.com/informatiq...laptop-sshd-32go-2-5/f-10768-st1000lx001.html

I will clone the first one.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Much better ! :cool:

11. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Yep.
    I had 69°C at 4,2 Ghz so 55 with 4,4 is pretty good.:)