Question Paul Ricard cut penalty a little harsh ??

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by MeMotS, Jun 5, 2016.

1. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    i got a drive through penalty tonight while racing Paul Ricard 3c ( Well a lot of us got it )
    Its seems a little harsh, Is that really supposed to be?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Imho you were just a few inches too far on the right. Afaik at least two wheels should still be on the black tarmac / the real race track.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hm, it's not a case of going wide but actual inside cutting, so you being off the track surface with all 4 tyres is just too much.
    As that's often my personal means of judgement, here I personally wouldn't report it as a bug if it had happened to me, others might tho. Don't think it's considered an issue tho, rather see it being strict (as long as it's reasonable) then too lenient.
    Keep two tyres within the lines and you're safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    All four of his tires were on the racing surface... Since when should hitting a rumble strip count as an off track? It was quite annoying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Lots of places where keeping two wheels between the white lines will still give you a penalty, using the kerb half on the track and getting a penalty and on the flip of that quite a few where all four off the track wont.
    I would say screw the reality where the real life counterpart track cuts are soft, and make it four wheels outside the white line regardless of where is a penalty, keep two wheels on the track at all times, and a definite penalty if you go over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Since FIA decided that kerbs are not part of the track:

"Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of
    doubt, the white lines defining the track edges are considered
    to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
    "
    http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/13.01.24_ANNEXE L 2013.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Imo its not right , i too felt like i clipped curb and got penalty but hey if it is correct so be it , but it does seem little harsh

8. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Don't understand what you dislike in my answer. :rolleyes: You can dislike the regulation but I didn't define it.

Just for information the sporting regulations of DTM. Sh/Could be relevant for other series too:
    "30.4 The track is defined by white demarcation lines on both sides of the track. For the interpretation of this Article, the kerbs are not considered to be part of the track. The drivers are allowed to use the whole width of the track between these white lines. The car is considered to be off the track as soon as all of the four wheels of the car are outside these white lines."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Well on next corner left/right the left entry kerb you can ride the whole car on it and no penalty ? I am not disputing regulations

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    You can also cut in hockenheim, sachsenring and spielberg(these are the ones i remember, i'm sure there's others) with no problems, i don't really mind it, but a little consistency would be nice, now the only way to know the limit is to go past it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    As you know with dislikes your whole reputation can go down the drain nowadays (so-called ebay-syndrome) *just kidding*

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Cutting apexes on the inside or going wide on corner exits?
    Tendency is to be lenient on the latter as it's more or less a common thing in rl racing.
    Personally I'd also prefer one consistent (strict) ruleset, always two tyres within the lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Definitely on corner exits, so i guess it makes sense. But the limits seem quite arbitrary, and it can be a pain getting the most out of a corner, with a lot of trial and error involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I guess i'm just too used to iracing where you don't get penalized unless you actually go off track. Rumble strips are free game.

15. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    On the previous race I served drive through being in a guaranteed third place (6 sec ahead of 4th), two laps to go, and I'm ok with it.
    As I've said before, after the anger, it makes you a better driver. The beauty of sim racing is that is not subjective appreciation, you get it for that, everyone gets it too, it keeps it fair.

16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I reported this to the devs a few weeks back when I was going over some of the tracks before a patch ;)

Noticed myself while doing some testing that this corner in particular is incredibly difficult to do cleanly, especially while racing. The AI uses that entire kerb to make their turn, and if you just so happen to be on the inside of them, you will always get a cut track penalty.

Not only that, but due to the nature of the corner (very tight, low speed, <90 degs arc...) it almost forces you onto the kerb if you want to take a proper line through there and hit the apex. Deeming that kerb almost a necessity.

Hopefully that will be changed if hasnt already. Which, if you are posting a vid of this issue now, I assume it hasnt.

More broadly speaking, the cut track rules are definitely slightly different on each track. Some corners seem to be really lenient, and others more strict. Seems to be a problem for every racing game out there though. Really tough to please everyone. Either you make them all lenient and easy to abuse, or strict and people complain about getting penalties.

From my own observations, it seems that the cut track rules are more lenient on corner exit. My guess is that if you are running side by side, and go a bit wide on exit, the outside car wont be penalized. However, this can easily be abused in the leaderboard challenges.

My ultimate goal and something I hope is possible, is to see 2 different cut track rule sets. 1 for races, and 1 for leaderboads/comps. The one for races can be a bit more lenient for the reason above, whereas the one for leaderboads/comps should definitely be more strict so the times cant be abused and made quicker than they should be by cutting every corner and going way wide on exit.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Consitent penalty boundaries is best imo over 2 sets of rules , most of time i have no problem with cut detection but that one corner man it's harsh !!!!!