Bug Penalty for overtaking under yellow flag

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by leonatic, Apr 28, 2017.

1. leonatic

leonatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First of all, i would like to express the excitement i had when the flag rules was implemented, wow what a great improvement for raceroom.
    But very fast i lost all the excitement when i realize the yellow flag rule is not working as excpeted.
    I will show you 2 exemples that happened with me on the last 2 races i had on a private championship,i would like to understand why i get a penalty on this situations and if it is a problem on the rule, is sector 3 trying to solve it?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Don't even know why there's a yellow flag in the 2nd vidéo...
    :eek:

3. leonatic

leonatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    because he cuts the chicane

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp, thats true... but I guess that wouldn't be a yellow flag in real life. In this case it was a cut-track-Penalty and maybe a white flag when slow-down-penalty is active.

Maybe the yellow-flag-detection-algorythim should use the speed and driving-direction in relation to the racingline + a delay of maybe 1 second before the yellow flag comes out. IRL it took a while too before the yellowflag comes up, as the track-marshals need to react first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. leonatic

leonatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A delay would be a good idea or spare the first car if it is too close

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Don't know about the first one, should not give penalty but might be an edge case.

Second one is probably because Roche slowed down because of Vasconcelos and you passed them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Delay could solve a lot of issues, at least for penaltys. And probably would be a bit more realistic, since marshals don't react instantly.

@[S3]Kitsune Maybe you could change simple flag rules to show all flags but without penalties? This would solve a lot of issues, especially for league racing. Would be even cooler if it would log violations and league admins could apply penalties after race by themselfs

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. leonatic

leonatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But im overtaking 2 cars entering the pit vasconcelos is already inside,and Rocha got a penalty for cutting the track and was going to the pit to take it.
    Vasconcelos shouldnt count specially because hes being overlapped and hes slow, at most i should have a white flag from hes low speed

9. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Too low speed = yellow. However, they are in pit lane and should be allowed to be overtaken. I think it's a possible bug with the game not being able to keep track on multiple instances of yellow or something.

I believe we have some plans for that, or just a separate option with all flags on but no penalties. It's been requested a lot so Probably™ Soon™. No promises though.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Maybe there is a problem with differentiating of the Pit-Entry with the rest of the Track? I think I've noticed something similar in Hockenheim, as I got a penalty while "overtaking" a car that is driving in the pit-entry but isn't in pit (so the part between Track and where you need to drive with Pit-Limiter) already.

11. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Too bad we can't see the flags in replays, but I'd venture a guess that in the second video, the yellow flag was thrown because the Vasconcelos guy almost stopped to a halt even *before* physically entering the pitlane, so the game considered him a caution, and you got a penalty because you passed Rocha under yellow as he was heading to the pits, but technically was still on the track racing there. I don't think cutting the chicane throws yellow flag.

Was there a reason why the Vasconcelos guy was going so slow into the pit lane? The pit lane speed limit does not apply there yet, that's much further ahead. Was he maybe confused a bit about the pitting procedure? I think I'd agree with the game there on the yellow flag, what he was doing was potentially dangerous to others and deserved a yellow.

(Mind you, I'm definitely not saying the flags and penalties don't need further tweaking, they absolutely do and I've provided several examples myself before.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. leonatic

leonatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On the second video, the reason for the yellow flag is Rocha who got a drive through that moment and went to the pit, vasconcelos was 2 laps behind.
    I passed rocha , on hes way to the pit, with 40 seconds ahead to the next car, how could i give away position? have a coffee and smoke a cigaret? :D

13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You got a penalty for passing under yellow because there was a guy stopped in the entrance to the pits, and the guy that cut the chicane slowed down on his way into the pits. So by 'passing' the guy that got a drive through who slowed to avoid crashing into the stopped car, you got the penalty because the stopped car triggered the yellow flag.

This is being looked into, but so far Im not sure if a good solution for this scenario has been found yet.

14. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, since there's no possibility of reviewing when exactly did the game throw the yellow flag, let alone what caused it, we can only speculate, really. I can only comment on what I see in the video and on what I've seen happen in the game so far. In the video I can see someone almost stopped at the pit lane entrance just as you're passing another car that's enterig pit lane, but technically is still on the track. I also don't remember cutting the chicane like Rocha did throwing a yellow flag in my races there before (but I can remember it wrong or the game could've decided differently in your case, that's definitely an option). And you're usually allowed to overtake the car that causes a yellow flag, meaning you should've been able to pass Rocha there without issues if he was the one causing the yellow (but again, not saying it's completely out of the question, I've been on a few occasions given penalty for overtaking the very car that caused a yellow flag, it can definitely happen).

I can also tell you from experience that you sometimes remember things differently than how they actually happened. On several occasions, I was absolutely certain I did get a penalty for no reason at all, and only after reviewing *both* my race recording (so I could see the exact moment the flags were thrown and penalties given) and in-game replay (so I could analyze the situation from multiple angles) I realized there actually *was* a reason for my penalty, even though the game was perhaps a bit too eager to penalize me for what I've done given the circumstances. Memory is a funny thing, especially when something emotional (like being penalized during a race) is concerned :)

Rocha getting a drive-through there could very well be just an unfortunate timing of two separate incidents - the car on the pit lane causing a yellow at the exact same moment as he cut the chicane and got his penalty. In fact I'd be kinda surprised if someone caused a yellow flag *and* got a drive-through penalty at the same time. But again, not saying it couldn't happen - just that I find it kinda unlikely.

If the game was expecting you to give position back to a car that entered pit lane, then that's clearly a problem, no arguments there.

15. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Like @rad said, Would be better if they can turn penalties off and leave flags only, in the time they can figure a way of delaying flags or for a better alternative soliution.
    In anyways the AI doesn't get penalties and if they get they dont care :D, but for a racing community would be perfect addition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. lennyallover

lennyallover Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    If the game kept an incident log during each race, which contained the pertinant details of any driver/driver contact & off road incidents, instead of immediately giving a penalty the server could request the logs for analysis and the incident decision which could be given later during race, drive through etc or after race by addition of time, demotion or even disqualification dependent on offence, or a position drop for start of next race. Maybe even a graphic saying "cars *** & *** under investigation for incident at turn ** "

• Like Like x 1
  17. S-AMG

S-AMG Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Désolé mais mon anglais est trop mauvais pour pouvoir écrire un long commentaire , si quelqu'un veut bien traduire ce serait sympa , merci par avance ;)
    pas mal de gars disent avoir un souci de drapeaux jaune et donc de disqualification quand ils doublent une auto par exemple dans les graviers et donc sous drapeau jaune , mais le constat que j'en fait sans s'avoir si j'ai réellement raison et qui fonctionne pour moi est qu'il faut bien ralentir qu'en un drapeau jaune est annoncé et attendre le drapeau vert pour ré accéléré et pas avant !!
    je n'ai jamais eu de soucis sous drapeaux jaune pour l'instant avec cette méthode , en fait il faut faire comme en vrai
    je pense qu'il faudrait tester plus en profondeur , mais je fais beaucoup de course tous les jours et je n'ai jamais eu de sanctions
    nous voyons bien que sur la vidéo il double une première voiture qui a couper la chicane ça ok , mais la deuxième voiture sur la voie des stands quand il la double a elle , si on regarde bien la vidéo en cockpit il reste a fond ( compte-tour ) et ne ralenti pas donc il est disqualifier
    :)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. lennyallover

lennyallover Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    from google translate
    Sorry but my English is too bad to be able to write a long comment, if someone wants to translate it would be nice, thanks in advance;)A lot of guys say they have a worry of yellow flags and therefore of disqualification when they double a car for example in the gravels and therefore under yellow flag, but the fact that I make it without being so if I really right and Which works for me is that you have to slow down that a yellow flag is announced and wait for the green flag to be accelerated and not before !!I have never had worries under yellow flags for now with this method, in fact it is necessary to do as in realI think we should test more in depth, but I do a lot of racing every day and I have never had any penaltiesWe see that on the video it doubles a first car that cut the chicane that ok, but the second car on the pit lane when it double it has, if we look at the video in cockpit it remains at bottom -tour) and does not slow down so it is disqualify

19. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Sticking to 'Black Only' on our servers, bc busy servers are a catastrophe with full flag rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. axxis278

axxis278 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I think what is missing in the code is an exclusion for overtaking the car that is responsible of the yellow flag. A yellow flag is a warning for a danger, but in the real races they are waiting for an off track car. So I'm ok to not overtake cars that are still on the track, but we should be allowed to overtake the one that provoked the yellow.

• Agree Agree x 1