Problem People being disconnected from the server

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by KentClark, Nov 22, 2019.

1. KentClark

KentClark New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's an issue with some people being disconnected after a few to a few dozen seconds after joining any server. There's also an issue with LAN - only the owner of the server as well as people outside the network can join in (not mentioning all of the hacks with feedback loops and setting up virtual servers, plus forwarding ports on a router itself to even work with that)... No one else on the LAN is able to join the local server, you just get "no response" error. I mean, it would be okay if at least multiplayer worked correctly, but it doesn't.

I know, that's a minor issue for couple of friends or families here and there, but what I said about disconnection to external servers is a big thing. A couple of weeks ago, me and another pc on my LAN could join any server and race alongside. Week later and he is getting disconnected off of any server, another week passes by and I have the same issue. A minute into being logged onto a server and I'm getting disconnected. It happens on any server, in fact, I can see that even on my own server, there is a spam of messages saying "player x joined server" and after a minute "player x left server". I'd say that's typical, but it happens for the same people that are trying to rejoin over and over again. The bug is so repeatable that it has to be an issue with the code it's running on, I have no other explanation, and the funny thing is that bug was posted first in the exact form about 2-3 years ago.

I wrote to the support with no response. I admit that I didn't try one thing - reinstalling the game, but still, an issue with a program is still an issue even if it disappears for a while when you reinstall the program. (I guess that's the next thing I'm gonna try, although I lost patience for this a while ago).

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    One thing up front: I understand the frustration these issues cause, so thanks for giving your complaint a second, more sober try. But you also have to understand that these issues do not affect every user. Quite contrarily, most people can join dedi servers without problems, so the conclusion that there must be sth inherently wrong with the net-code or the dedi tool as a whole cannot be upheld. I know this is somewhat of a cold comfort for you in your situation but we have to stick with the facts and try to work towards a solution from there.
    These networking issues are always very complex because all sorts of factors come into play, from the hardware that's involved to the LAN setup on the client end, as I'm sure you are well aware of.

The problem as you describe it hints at a server disconnect caused by a high ping. Ping monitoring in RR dedi observes each clients average ping over one minute and if the average is too high, it disconnects the client. The crucial part here is that your displayed ping might be very good but you could still have a problem with very short but very hefty ping spikes, which can be induced by a not perfect WLAN connection to the router f.e. and those raising your average ping above the threshold. I'm not saying that that is definitely the problem you're dealing with right now, but it is a possibility.

Proceeding from that thought, could you give more detailed info about all relevant components that are involved here please?
    What are your internet connection properties, what router are you using, how is your LAN set up, what clients are connected and how are they connected, does the dedi run on a truely dedicated machine, are you using some kind of proxy or VPN etc.? The more details the better.
    If you don't want to share these informations publicly, feel free to contact me via pm, preferrably on our Discord (my username there: Christian G).

Regarding the issue of LAN clients: Having a true dedicated machine and connecting to it from LAN clients can work out of the box but it requires the router in place to support a feature called NAT loopback. Many routers these days don't support this method anymore, which is why in these cases the workarounds mentioned in the pinned message are necessary.

Additionally, if you want to aid investigating this issue further, it would be immensly helpful if you could provide log files from a client that gets disconnected as well as the server. These can be found in the games/servers documents folders which are stored in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\SimBin
    Create a session, have a client join and wait for him to get dropped. Close the game and the server, navigate to the documents folders and find the latest logs, for the clients we would need the files called game_xxx.log and MWTransport_xxx.log, for the server just pack the whole latest log set.

If you are able and willing to do even more, get Wireshark if you don't have it already, log your LAN traffic with that while a disconnect happens and attach that log as well.

Best regards

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. DYL3MMA

DYL3MMA New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting 'Error 13' when I try and search for a MP server. I have to quit to desktop.