Problem Performance and Optimization

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by heppsan, Oct 9, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just have to write this question to the devs, don't know if it is you who are in charge of those things @Sonat Ozturk?

Have something been changed or gone wrong in one of the latest patches when it comes to optimization?

I'm wondering this cause I have noticed a steady decrease of my performance in R3E lately.
    Both what goes for fps and loading times..
    And it feels like I shouldn't have any problems running this smooth on my rig..
    Other games I have installed is:
    Dirt Rally
    pCars
    MotoGP 15
    Mad Max
    Shadow of Mordor
    Sniper Elite 3
    Dying Light
    GTA V
    Watch Dogs

Run all of them as good as maxed out, and none are even close of going under 60 fps even in rain / storms or whatever the games throws at me..

I have always noticed some fps drops on Hockenheim, but earlier this year I could run R3E almost maxed out on all the other tracks. (don't use motion blur, medium on mirrors and 4xAA)
    And it mostly ran on a steady 74 fps with full grids.
    On race starts it was just above 60 fps. (58 on some tracks, but only till after the first corner)

Last month or so I noticed that I had fps drops on several of the older tracks, went as low as 38 fps on the worst ones.. .
    Also small fps drops around the start finish line on some of the new ones.
    The only thing to keep the game from never going under 60 fps was to set the reflections to low.
    Still dropped to 53-58 when passing the start finish line though.

I tried changing to w 10 and made a factory reset to see if that helped, but no effect.
    That boosted some other games, but not R3E..
    Have also tried to update the bios and messed with the Nvidia settings, but all in vain..

Now earlier today I was racing WTCC 2013 on Zandvoort National and noticed yet another decrease in performance, and even after lowering Multisampling to 2xAA it still ran horrible, about 48-54 fps the whole track!..

How can this be??
    And especially strange when I just a couple of months ago could run it almost maxed out without any issues..

My system specs:
    ASUS ROG G751JY
    Intel core i7 16gb ram
    Nvidia GTX 980M 4gb vram
    Windows 10 64 bit

2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Windows 10?

3. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Nope, this started before that.
    I changed to W-10 to see if I could get a better performance again.

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Just want to say that im at the opposite end of the spectrum i run min setting @ 720p and i get a smooth 50-60 unlike most other games (and it looks better). ac gets 10-30 based on #of cars and battlefield 3 get 5-40 based on lighting effects.
    r3e is one of the few modern games i can play and i hope they can keep it this way.
    specs in signature.

5. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Shouldn't better optimization make it better for all users?

6. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    oh I'm not saying i don't want optimization. although i think you'll find its shadows, lighting and reflections that cause your frame drops which i don't have so their would be little effect.
    Without dx11 lighting effects it is difficult to compete with the other games in terms of shadows and lighting performance.

7. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    True, and it was the reflections that made the biggest impact on my system.
    But the question remains.
    Why was I suddenly not able to run the game smooth with them on anymore, when it was perfectly fine with reflections on high earlier?..

8. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    they made some changes to shadows to make them look better but i dint know about reflections.

9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because the new shadows took a little more power than before, leaving less for reflections.

Almost all issues (except those on Shanghai and maybe Macau) stem from shadows, they are hungry like a wolf and not even nearly as good as one would expect for that kinda performance hit (moving/flickering). They appear to be the biggest weak spot in what was Simbin's and is S3S' engine.

But they are working on them and, without spoiling anything, lately things were looking much brighter on that front. (Oh what a punster I am :p )

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Stop teasing us with all these tidbits about how awesome the new stuff is :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    No don't stop and tell us more

12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Exactly that was the reason on my system. Shadows on High needed more power than before, so reducing shadow-Quality or switching of Shadow-split helps alot. But setting reflections to medium brought back enough FPS to run well on my system.
    Shadows and Reflections need both alot performance - so balancing the settings between those to your personal likings vs. enough FPS should be the way to go.

I think drop in Performance and the Shadow-Update comes with the update in April or May. On the following updates I've noticed a slightly better performance, but still lesser than before. But what Christian teases sounds very promising :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Finally, is the R3E graphic engine DX9 or DX11?

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    the R3E-Engine is still DX9.

15. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    The next update should hopefully improve performance by a bit for those of you who find shadows a bit too heavy for your computers.

• Like Like x 7