Bug Pit speed limit penalty in Lausitz

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Alexander Asner, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I get a pit lane speed penalty every time in Lausitz. Pit speed limiter is engaged and I get the penalty almost immediately after I restart the race after the pit stop. It has ruined 2 long endurance races. I do not have a problem going in the pits, only when I leave them.
    Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug?

2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Could you explain what you mean by that?

You don't disable the speed limiter too soon? (I have that problem a lot :p )

3. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    No. I do not. Even if you have the speed limiter on most of the time you get little spikes over the speed limit if you push the pedal. I guess there is a problem with this course that the speed limit is too narrow. Even if you get over the limit just a little bit you get the drive through.

4. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    And you only have that problem at Lausitz?

5. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I don not drive all courses but so far I only experienced this in Lausitz. The DTM Short Course to be exact.

6. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Actually you can avoid the penalty when you scrupulously take care that you do not exceed 60 even for a milisecond. You cannot rely on the pit speed limiter at all.

7. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Try using a higher gear ! like 3rd, it reduces the rev spike. :D

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Î guess I'm probably going to yield some antagonism for saying this, but a pit lane speed limiter is not a fail-safe device in the real world.
    http://www.longroadracing.com/images/TSB_February_28_2017C_Pit_lane_speed_limiter.pdf

I know this is a game and that there are certain aspects that make it more difficult than doing the real thing. What these quotes from real world engineers should highlight is that a ECU limiter is a driving aid and not meant or able to completely replace the driver and his decisions.

Nevertheless, there is a built in leeway in RR which should compensate for those rev spikes. So if it doesn't in this case it should probably be looked into.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Well, it works quite well and exact in my real life BMW. :) But as you said somehow the leeway is missing on this track's pit lane. Or it is a problem with BMW M235i. It is not that you have to push the pedal to the metal to make it happen. Hitting the limiter is enough to make it happen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    In that case it might actually be connected to the car, because the 235 (from my pov) has always had an issue with its drivetrain elasticity in RR. To me it just feels way too pronounced for my liking and I'd guess that could be part of the problem here.

Out of curiosity, do you drive the 235 in real life and if so, would you say the drivetrain oscillations in RR are too strong or accurate compared to the real car?

11. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    No, alas I am driving a 5 series with a Diesel engine :). I had he opportunity to drive a M240i performance recently but only on regular roads and was not able to push it enough to make this kind of observation.
    What you are saying seems to make a lot of sense though as these rev spikes a pretty extreme. However I am asking myself if it is a problem of the M235i alone it should be on every track or shouldn't it?

12. martin.pater

martin.pater Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think it's track related. Had the same issue with a DTM 2016.

13. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I think I found the culprit but still have to reproduce it. It seems that the speed limiter is actually set to 80kmh while the pit speed limit is 60 kmh.

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    trying to fnd this bug , can you tell me what car/class you were driving please

Andi

15. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0