Pit to car radio app available - work in progress

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I LOVE READING THIS KIND OF STUFF WHERE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING!!!! :hearteyes::hearteyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    @::SKRO:: :D Where is the "funny AND agree" rating smiley?

@mr_belowski : Great project.:cool: I'll definitively try it out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This has great potential!!
    Just ran it while in a practice session with the classic touring cars and a little voice said I had just done my fastest lap time!
    Thanks for this and keep up the good work.

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Awesome glad it runs on someone else's system, not just mine.

I've just uploaded a new version with a few minor fixes to the pit window messages. I've focused mainly on race sessions and penalties, so you'll hear more stuff if you run DTM 2014 with mandatory tyre changes, or online races with fuel usage enabled.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be very welcome. I'm wondering if I should drink loads of coffee and re-record all the sound files to get that race engineer feeling :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I meant it sounds great that you are doing this for all users

• Like Like x 1
  6. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Just added another event which reads out your race position at the end of the lap if you're in the top ten and your position has changed since the last lap. It helps a lot as you scythe your way through the field online ;)

This has made it a bit more chatty, which means sometimes there are 2 or 3 radio messages queued up when you cross the start/finish line. Currently each message is preceded by the radio beep - I think there should probably be only 1 beep and a short silence between messages in this case. It'll take a bit of fiddling to make it do that :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    tried it with DTM 2014, works a treat, also tried it with DTM 2013, it works but in 2013 there are no pitstops available, still works though!
    Good news on the position notification............although I am not often in the top 10 !!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff. I finally took some time to actually race with it, rather than debugging and fiddling with it. Apart from some stinky code and the weirdness of hearing my own voice, its actually really good, even if I say so myself :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    One suggestion mr_belowski, edit your first post on the first page with the link. I ran a race or two with it and enjoyed it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Joshua Spann Jr

Joshua Spann Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this program, really nice, only bug i've encountered is the app telling me im in 1st place and im not:), once again THANKS

11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    So I have made a couple of short races with it, and here are my thoughts:
    Brilliant!! :D

I raced in DTM 2014, ADAC GTM and WTCC 2014 in R3E.

I didn't get a fastest lap, but I got a decent lap on Red Bull in DTM 2014 and a great lap at Oschersleben in ADAC GTM! :)
    But I noticed that I heard you better when I got penalties in DTM 2014 than in ADAC GTM and WTCC.

Guess you havent done any specific for ADAC GTM, cause I didn't get any pit notifications in that race.

And some suggestions to this awesome immersion enhancer:

If I turn all Hud overlays of there are some notifications that I miss.

Would be good to get notifications on cut track warnings.

And also when being disqualified, you will think the game broke if you suddenly get kicked to the menus.

Damage on the car and engine would also be nice to get notified. (Maybe not that important yet though)

Also pit window is closing (this might have to do with that I had already pitted? (DTM 2014)
    And I didn't get any notification on DRS is open.

Really liked to hear "two more laps left", would be nice if you could implement this for timed Races as well.
    Like "five more minutes to go" and "final lap"

Can't wait till we get full flags with you telling about accidents ahead, and lapping cars! :)

And one question: would it be possible to get spotter notifications when vehicles are on our sides?
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/situational-awareness-in-r3e.1925/

Oh, and put up a donation button!
    Keep improving this, and I will gladly give something for your effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

A lot of stuff that's missing is because of the limited data R3E exposes in the shared memory block. S3S are planning to extend this to add more stuff in the future so the app should become a bit smarter. Stuff like race time remaining, car class being run, which track you're on, which tyre you're on, whether there's mandatory pit stop outstanding, whether you've just cut the track, and some other stuff just isn't in there. So I'm having to infer information as best I can. The pit window stuff is only for DTM 2014 at the moment and without more data in the shared memory block I don't think I can implement it for ADAC.

I'll look at adding a "you've been disqualified" event - again, I'd have to infer this from there being an outstanding penalty that was given more than 3 laps ago.

I'll also look at adding a race finished event for DTM 2014 (I can only add this for races run over a number of laps), perhaps with some suitably grumpy "you were rubbish" or elated "woohooo" for bad or good finishes.

I have access to engine oil temp, tyre temp, and oil pressure so I might be able to add some related event, and maybe a "you broke it" event when the oil pressure drops off.

The best / decent lap notifications need some work. All I have to go on is the best and previous lap times so as you can imagine they're a bit limited. You get the "decent lap" one if your last lap is with 0.5% of your best. You get the "great lap" one if the last lap is your quickest. The app can't know if the times are actually any good :)

I've not heard it tell me I'm in first when I'm not - i'll look into that.

The pit window closing in DTM 2014 should play regardless of whether you've pitted. Again, I'll have a look at that.

The volume of the sounds is the same regardless of car class. If the sounds aren't clear in ADAC GTM I guess it's just because of the different nature of the car sounds.

I'll sort out some kind of donation thing, but really don't want to ask people to make a donation. I did this because I love R3E and enjoy making stuff. If the app proves useful and reliable and user want to donate me a beer then I guess I can live with that ;)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I've hacked together a little app to give pit radio messages. It's a work in progress and still in the (very) early stages of development but it does work quite nicely and might prove useful. It's quite limited in the information it can provide (but will improve as S3 add more stuff to the shared memory block it uses and I add more events).

The app can be downloaded here (version 1.4):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KQS820QNFbTnJRd3dOYi1WWUE/view?usp=sharing

Just unzip it and run the enclosed CrewChief.exe before firing up R3E.

There's a discussion thread about it with information about the current version starting from post #20, here:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...n-a-crew-chief-pit-radio-app.1988/#post-19670

[edit]

This discussion thread is now very long and contains lots of updates and general chaos.

The link above is to the last version of the app (version 1.4) which now includes a ReadMe with some version information.

Note that PixelJetStream has now ported this to Lua, and when the Lua version is ready for action we'll be focusing future dev effort on that. I might do more updates to the .net version for bug fixes, but the plan is to do all the shiny new stuff in Lua

Version 1.3 adds engine temperature monitoring, but this is a bit of a fudge at the moment - see https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/engine-oil-water-temps-always-very-low.2193/ for more info

Changes
    -------

Version 1.4: Fixed NPE in engine monitor when starting app after starting game; Lowered tyre temp 'hot' temp to trigger more warnings; Added pearls of wisdom. This adds some encouragement to some events. There are 'good', 'neutral' and 'must do better' messages. They are triggered by a probability (i.e. if you take the lead there's a 50% chance of a 'good' message). The messages sometimes play before the event they're associated with, sometimes after. There will only ever be 1 such message queued at a time and you won't get more than one every 40 seconds (so you won't hear a 'good' then shortly after a 'must do better' event). The min time between pearls is in the config file, and they can also be disabled from there and there's a global scaling factor for how likely they are - if they're too frequent lower the pearls_of_wisdom_likelihood variable (down to 0 for no messages). If 2 events fire and they don't agree on whether you're doing well or badly (say, a best lap but lost some places), no pearl of wisdom is added.

Version 1.3: Fixed null pointer exception in tyre temp monitor - this happens when you start a race and then start this app; added engine temperature monitoring (note the caveat above)

Version 1.2: Dropped background volume a bit; Added tyre temperature monitoring. This looks that the average tyre temp (across the tread) over the course of a lap. If a tyre's average temperature is above some threshold, an event is triggered ("Your left front is hot", "your rear tyres are hot" etc). It doesn't keep spamming this message - it only informs of changes (i.e. if the next lap your temps are back to normal you'll get a "tyre temps look good" message, or if they're all hot you'll get a "all your tyres are hot").

Version 1.1: Updated the update frequency to 10 times per second (this is now an user configurable property). Probably overkill but it might resolve some funkiness with race-finish messages (thanks to Georg for the bug report);

Version 1.0: We'll call this the first version even though it clearly isn't. This version includes lots of events along with filtered and processed sound files, background sound support (mixed in with the event sounds in real time), and lots of other awesome stuff. This version has an issue with race finish messages in DTM 2014. One user (we'll call him Georg, because that's his name) wins pretty much all the races he runs (grrrr) but sometimes the app doesn't congratulate him (poor fella). Because I mostly lose I don't get to test the 'wayhay, you won' message much, but it's *always* worked for me on those rare and magical occasions when I don't suck. Sometimes Georg gets a 'hard luck' message reserved for slow and hopeless losers like myself, even when he won. This might be down to the relatively low update frequency (once every 2 seconds) in this version. Or the code: if (driverName=='Georg') { alien = true; alwaysBeMeanToHim = true;}.

Hope this is useful :)

• Winner x 21
    • Like x 8
    • Useful x 4
    • Love it! x 3
    • Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  14. ViperNo23

ViperNo23 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I guess we could build some kind of database (on the fly) where all the laptimes are stored for one session and then compare it for the decent / great lap times?

But this is one great piece of sim racing software! Thank you, Sir! (@Sector3 We need a Beer smiley ;))

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I could handle the laptimes data a bit better - the app can easily keep track of previous times and compare the lap you just did with the average of the best few in that session, or something like that

• Like Like x 1
  16. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    cannot wait to try it.

17. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    It's running fine man....I haven;t driven enough to test the fuel usage yet but yeah maan, penalties are working well. One thing about them is, you told me I had to come in for one, but I only had slow down on..lol...btw. I can help with the audio if you want. Start building a script between us and I get it recorded with radio fx too. maybe some track atmos in there cars buzzin by etc.

EDIT : Just done a few penalty clips

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  18. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Arrrgh, you're right, the penalty message triggers as soon as you get one so will trigger even for slow down penalties. That's an easy fix - just delay the message 10 seconds or so and it would be skipped for slow down pens because the flag would be cleared by the time the message is due to play.

Might make it confusing regarding which corner cut triggered it tho... I'll have a think.

Regarding radio messages, new files would be cool but I'm adding to it a lot at the moment. Once the app stops growing so fast, i can sort out a script then anyone can make a sound pack.

If you want to experiment just replace the .wav files in on or more of the subfolders

19. Mally B

Mally B Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure your app will help loads of us out, so on behalf of the community THANK YOU Mr Belowski

I'll download it once I'm home from work! Sure it's come at a useful time seen as this weekend will be hectic on MP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Machwebb - I like that clip, it's bang on :)

• Like Like x 1