Pitting keys and strategy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fleskebacon, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so after the mandatory pitstop was introduced, I've finally taken the step into pitting.

But I'm a little distracted by the pitstop menu that pops up, blocking my view. Is there any way to get rid of it so that only the small "pit now" overlay shows?

I've mapped the "pit request" button to my glorious button box, and it works like a charm, but when I press it, the pit menu stays on screen until I finish in the pit. If I press it again, the menu goes away, but it also cancels my pit request.

I've tried mapping the same button to "pit menu" instead, and that enables me to hide the menu without canceling the pit request. But when using this approach, I have to navigate down and select "request pitstop" first. I understand that I can make changes to the preset before pitting, and for that I'll need the menu, but when I'm just going to pit without making any changes, it would be convenient to be able to just press "pit request" and then pit, without the menu showing at all.

I'm a total noob at pitting, and pressing too many buttons makes me lose concentration and crash...

How do you guys do this? :)

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I use presets for a couple of different pit strategies, the one most used as #1.
    Then in race I press pit request and immediately after on the hide pit menu button, when I enter the pit and the AI takes over I scroll down and confirms my pit stop.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I also realised that possibility after I posted... Two buttons I think I can master, as long as I don't have to navigate the pit menu while driving. But that means I'll need to map both the "request pitstop" and "pit menu" buttons though. And I'm all out of buttons! :(

But that would be the obvious fix for this... Looks like I need a new button box. Or a 6-button G27 mini plate from DSD. After all, it's Christmas, and I've barely got myself any presents yet.

Do you get any waiting time in pit if you change your preset after entering the pit?

4. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The whole pitting thing is very cumbersome, it took me a few tries to figure out how it worked.
    You need to many buttons to go through the menu while driving... not well thought out.

It would be a lot easier if the pit preset activated automatically and didn't need a confirm.
    Everything could be done with a single button:
    - Long press, active (deactivate) pit menu
    - Short press, cycle through pit presets, they are automatically activated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. It's far from ideal to require the user to navigate a menu while driving. For most people this means reaching for a keyboard to do so. Fine if you have a fixed, dedicated cockpit setup with keyboard mount, not so fine if you're sitting on a sofa with a Wheelstand Pro like me!

Most wheels don't have enough buttons to allow the player to map the up/down/left/right/enter keys in addition to the essential vehicle controls.

As you said, the priority pit preset should activate automatically with no further user input required. Just request pit stop, drive in, drive out. I like your idea of having pit request plus a number presets handled by one button. That's an efficient solution. For any on-the-fly changes to the pitstop actions the user can still reach for the keyboard.

6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Not if you are able to change and confirm your pit preset before youre pit crew takes you in, they will wait for your confirmation before they start working on the car.

Another problem with the way it works now is when we will have control of the car in the pit lane as well, potentially dangerous.. :)

I can see the reason for a confirmation of the pit preset, things can happen and you might want to change something.
    But atleast if we are happy with the preset, it would be good if the confirm button was highlighted directly and we just had to press the confirm button without having to scroll down to the confirm button.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I see many guys driving with a headset anyway, or at least you've got some mic, so why not use speech recognition software, for the pit request f.e.?
    Voice Attack ($8) or Voice Activated Commands ($18) are recognition sollutions specially built for gamers and you can assign all sorts of inputs/functions as you can see here: http://dwvac.com/videos.html

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    It confirms with a single button press if you press the "pit request" button instead of the "pit menu". But then the menu pops up and stays on screen, which is unnecessary. And you need to navigate the menu to select a different preset.

Would be brilliant. Two functions/birds with one button/stone. :)

Could also add "cancel pit request" as the last "preset" of the short press function, in case you accidentally hit the button.

9. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I do think the confirmation while pitting is too much, even if we have time to do it with AI driving at this time.
    I already had miss my pitstop because I forgot to validate things I already validate when requesting the pit stop, or because I hit the wrong button, cancelling the pitstop (Damned !! no way to recall it while in the pit!!)
    It would be great to have to validate only once (before or after entering the pit)... and just giving you the ability to change if necessary.

10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Agree that the pitstop should be simplified as possible regarding to needed inputs. It had bothered me a lot in Race07, that i always had to confirm the pit menu after entering the pits. Now the same in R3E.