Please Add steer lock from asseto corsa! Also I suggest some upgraded version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Warrpirek, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I have an suggestion
    I have ferrari thrustmaster 430 fbb with 270 degrees

Default settings are unplayable because fbb work like for 900degrees but my 1 degree is like 3,5 ingame so driving in same line is very hard. Mareover fbb when sheke a little on kerbs, turn ingame wheel like a monster, so driving on pad was better. I just found good option, settings steer sensivity to 0% and now it is playable and more real but not enought. I feel something like gamma function where on 0 to 10 degrees i have very low sensivity, above 15 to 160 degrees i feel 1 to 1 and above 160 to max i feel incarase sensivity more and more to max degrees ingame wheel.

My suggestion is do add something like steer lock in "Asseto corsa content managera" which cut scale of ingame wheel to my wheel scale. (https://gyazo.com/30cc016c88706e59095bba0c4c18d072) I mean turn scale = MineWheelDegrees/carInGameWheelDegrees so for example ferrari 599 (540 degrees wheel) I can turn just max to 270 and this way 1 degree on my wheel = 1 degree on ingame wheel.

Asseto corsa offers this steer lock. This is very good option also because there is only some tracks where you need to use more than 270degrees. In Asseto i use this and this is best option which mamy people love. Why raceroom should be worse? This option seems very easy to implementation. Mareover I will offer upgraded version.

For Example:
    there is 3 video https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNd5vNsxQ2CjibDfWoZJ2xJaYPaBBz3MzM1sWfagJ7L92-x8LMF-aPjR3gw1ZY_kA?key=NXZ2WWpoVzB5ZERSTE5GX1FPaXJFSFNhcnZuZGhR 2 from raceroom

First with steering to 0%
    from 15 degrees angle to 160 is great, i feel like 1 to 1 linear angle and after 160 increase mod (and it is great) but worst thing it is this low ratio at first 15 degrees. I feel something like this https://gyazo.com/f1a4865663fe1444b07b835e1a40b8eb

Secound video shows 50% steering, we can see this linear https://gyazo.com/35f3b19a8954e7e26336e4c985f50edd but also we can see how fast wheel turn while i dont move too much wheel. straight ride is very hard, and we dont have precision (playing on pad is easier) also wheel have fbb which skip this mod, so when wheel want turn 5 degrees wheel ingame hitting in kerb, doing same for my wheel so with this mod wheel turn 16,6 degrees, unplayable for me. 0% steering is way better.

last video show asseto corsa with steer lock ( https://gyazo.com/30cc016c88706e59095bba0c4c18d072 )
    in asseto this is just MaxdegreesWhichCustomerSetInSettings/CarWheelMaxDegrees https://gyazo.com/002a9fae0bb50dc3755647b74e49ae6f

And This is what I suggest and in my opinion will be the best for all low degrees wheels
    it is this https://gyazo.com/ec6c247a62289f0849762cf777c865ff where steer is linear 1 x 1 to an angle treshold set by user in setting. After beat this treshold, just use any function, for example lerp to max degrees.

also steer lock from asseto will be welcome, most tracks dont need more than 180 degrees

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Hi! Can you first of all try the following thing please? Go to steam/settings/controllers/general controller settings and uncheck all boxes except for the top one. Then try and see ingame if your wheel is detected with its correct name.
    If you want that virtual wheel in-game to match your real one you have to set the steering sensitivity back to 50% for now, that means linear. If your wheel is recognised correctly as a ffb wheel you should then also be able to adjust the steering angle per car when in the garage. Since you only have 270 degrees of wheel range, you have to set that value for that specific car if not set automatically by the game.
    You have to make compromises in any case: 270 degrees for a car that provides 540 leads to a very direct steering, like you stated in your post. But that way you get that 1:1 visual match of the steering wheels.
    To obtain a better handling you can now lower the steering sensitivity below 50% maybe try steps of 10% and see how it handles around the center. You'll have to compromise the visual match, though.
    Hope that helps getting in the right direction.

Oli

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Steering lock is already available in the game. Steering sensitivity should be set to 50%, and the visual wheel rotation in the general settings should be set to 270°. This way your virtual wheel matches your real wheel. You can change the steering lock in the car setup screen in the small box in the top right corner. A steering lock of 13° is enough for most of the tracks.

4. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for reply!
    Oh my english isnt the best sadly and you misunderstand me.
    This is what i have here https://gyazo.com/ddb608e742c3ac54d40f8fb05844a016
    and I dont have any issues with detection.
    https://gyazo.com/4ee597401f881e5586f5296b983d6fba

This isnt my wheel issue, this is what this system work by design. I saw onboards in others low degrees wheel and there is same. I Just suggest to add to game great option from asseto cosa and upgrade it to beat limits
    I cant https://i.gyazo.com/thumb/1200/27ca95858f74bf25aed1770003a82f0b-png.jpg there is no option to set steering angle, also what I suggest it is option where system set this automaticly.

Many trakcs doesnt use more than 180 degrees, most doesnt use more than 270, there is only some slow curves where we need more degrees. 270 degrees scale ingame is fair enought. Talking about confortable controller, driving in 0% steer sensitivity is very good, I think i can learn this and beat every record is i will be skilled enought. But this isnt real, i lose immersion. This is similator so i want real feeling 1:1, asseto corsa give this but I want play raceroom! ;p
    Just read about this steer lock from asseto, many people love this because too many people have low degrees wheel.

Normaly i play with hidden wheel, for example
    So I dont need visual cheat changes, I want turn my wheel by 45 degrees and ingame car real Wheel should be turned by 45 degrees, on this setting [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/0c1618a5b34bdc3a0076d1c6c7bf5d9d
    like in asseto corsa.

In noob here, when i change this steering lock, didnt notice anything change ingame.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Just set the steering animation to custom and the wheel rotation to 270° and it will work.

With a higher steering lock, you can do sharper turns. You need to set the steering sensitivity to 50% to be able to properly feel it. So if you think the steering is too sensitive, you can simply reduce the steering lock.

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Steering lock is how far your car's front wheels turn when you turn your steering wheel to its limit. It should literally match the settings: with 8 degrees steering lock your front wheels turn 8 degrees to the side, maximum. With 12 degrees steering lock that should be 12 degrees, etc.

Untitled-1.jpg

So if you need your car to feel less twitchy when you turn your steering wheel, you need your steering lock as low as possible.

I'd say for most tracks even 10 degrees steering lock could be enough unless you need to drive side-by-side with another car in some pretty tight corners like Hockenheim's hairpin (Turn 6).

7. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just feeling like I cant speak english :(
    I dont want fake/change animations. I want change real steering angle ingame controller wheel. I think on raceroom isn't this possible do I suggest to devs to implement same option like steer lock from Asseto corsa. This is very easy feature to implement. 1 hour with tests.
    Just scale steering angle to HardwareMaxAngle/CarMaxSteringAngle and this is all.
    Steering sensivity with this option will be same on all wheels.
    For example Look at this in Asseto corsa
    I can just copy his wheel movement and this will work. In raceroom it is impossible on my wheel, because this car have 900 steering angle and with 50% sensitivity my 45 angle will be something like 150 ingame. Meanwhile in Asseto corsa with steer lock 45 will be 45. Tommorow I will record some examples if still no one will understand me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  8. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Maskerader, it will be helpfull knowledge. But still this isn't enought. Steer lock is far better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Well, I mean I also don't understand what's this steering lock from Assetto Corsa you're talking about... Raceroom should allow you to change your in-game steering rotation to whatever you want, and when working as intended the game should automatically set it up to your wheel's max rotation.

This is an actual option, not just an indicator:
    Untitled-1.jpg

But for some reasons it's locked for you. Unfortunately I don't know what to do to unlock it and make it changeable, because I don't use a wheel in RR... Maybe something is set to "Auto" or "Match" but your wheel isn't properly detected in-game?

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  10. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Like I already said, this option exists in the game. Just lower the steering lock in the car setup.
    It's locked because the steering angle of the real car is bigger than the steering angle of this wheel. You can only change it with a 900° wheel, but there's no point in changing it anyway.

11. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok i understand you now, i will try.
    But try understand my suggestion now.
    Maybe I can set this steer lock property to have same feeling like someone who drive this car in real life. But I never drive anyone, for example I never drive real dtm audi 2016 so I dont have knowledge how this proporties should work. Devs knows this, and real drivers aggre with this, this is Simulator. So how someone without knowledge will know how to set steer lock?
    Why I need to try set this while this is actually configured right on better wheels?
    My main goal playing simracing games it is real feeling and real skill what i can learn and feeling i can use this skills in real life. Asseto corsa give this on my wheel without any knowledge. Im raceroom if this work, i have to had big knowledge how this shoud work. Only way to set this good it is run Asseto corsa, drive same car, learn how he work and try set this in raceroom.

This is why imo this game and me need steering lock from Asseto Corsa.

12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hi please could you post your control (rcs) file here

13. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think I attach good file.
    I test now this steer lock and this work. There is one big bias fuckup because steer lock didnt change anything what we can see. This is only feelingbased.
    For example,
    - wheel ignore steer lock and turn on same scale without lock (ok propably that this work in real)
    - Wheel in controler UI [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/646ac80664a5e32a65b05c7bfdd9e47a
    didnt get locked and isnt sync with animation visual wheel
    - and the worst, Car front wheels turning animation didnt change!
    This is screen from 8 steer lock https://gyazo.com/d9f815b9d590f27047eac6f8f2475916
    and this from 15 https://gyazo.com/6c693178469e03cba6e48b8c13a61076 Look like same screen. This is why i was thinking this steer lock didint work. I noticed that when do this gif https://gyazo.com/7778c2c7cea8d676150678e2f811edce.

So ok this is possibility to set similary gameplay, but this need knowledge or copy feeling from asseto steering lock scale.
    For example, f4 i have to set steer lock to 10, audi TT cup to 9, bmw gt2 to 8. Other cars i have to guess.
    In future I will probably buy better racing wheel with 900 degrees so I want learm tracks on same movements on wheel. In asseto I know it will happen because of this https://gyazo.com/30cc016c88706e59095bba0c4c18d072 in raceroom im not sure, so without any "auto adjust" learning simracing in raceroom will be pointless.

I already gave up on passing the idea with upgraded version of asseto corsa steer lock while noone here understand basic AC steer lock phenomenon, but still I want to push this basic version.

In asseto corsa this auto adjust didnt change anything in car. Didnt change front wheel angles or sensivities.
    He just cut max gain from steering wheel controler. Just scale degrees gain from hardware wheel to PlayerHardwareWheelControlerMaxRotation/CarIngameWheelMaxRotation
    For example
    [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/9579a32a55c6394ec89a7b46f6f3a102

Real feeling, Real skills, real controler, Auto-adjust, visuals also will work property (front wheels, virtual wheel, controler wheel UI etc) seems like simracing.

Attached Files:

14. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    There's no guessing, it's simple maths. For a car that has a steering angle of 540 and a lock of 18 for example:
    18/540*270=9
    So 9 would be the lock value to set to obtain what you are after (While compromising the cars ability to go trough sharper turns)
    For the formular junior or other open wheelers with a 360 degree steering angle you are much closer with your 270 degrees obviously
    10/360*270=7.5
    But you will run into trouble trying to do that for a car with a 900 degree steering angle and let's say 24 degrees of lock.
    24/900*270=7.2
    That means your roughly only using a third of the cars given lock making it nearly impossible to go through sharper turns or countersteer sufficiently when your back steps out.

Oli

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Do you know you aren't using the default steering settings in Assetto Corsa? Your steering gamma is set to 1.15 and your wheel is set to 300° there. The proper default values for your wheel would be 270° and a steering gamma of 1.00. With these values, your wheel would also be much more sensitive in Assetto Corsa.

Both games do not simulate real life steering angles when you use a 270° wheel because you wouldn't be able to make sharp turns then. If you want real life steering angles, you need to buy a >900° wheel or lower the steering lock, but then you will be much slower in sharp turns because you can't turn in enough.

That doesn't make sense. You couldn't drive the 900° cars properly if you are limited to 30% of their real life steering lock with your 270° wheel.

16. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Will be great but i miss one thing.
    This "18" it is max possible steering lock?

Yeah dont Look at this. My wheel had some deathspot on 0-2 angleand this "hack" fix this. As you can see on my ac video, wheel move same way in hardware like in game.

I cant agree with you. Most tracks in world dont need more than 180 degrees angle. I have 270.
    There is only small amount od tracks where you need more, for example laguna seca pit stop, hockenheim, macau, monaco, okayama. I dont have to race on all. Actually I race with this 30% on AC and only moment when i need more degrees is when i do any mistake.
    For this moments I run with suggestion upgraded AC steering lock scale, but Nvm.

For me will be great if i will know how to use math for set good steer lock. But if this game want be good, expecially that it is f2p, auto-adjust option must be added.

17. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    This "18" was just an example of what the standard lock of a car that offers 540 degrees of wheel angle could be...
    If you look at this spreadsheet you can simply calculate your needed lock for each car for your 270° wheel.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vFYxSshVNlxiVl63x2Zq-eCn5T5AiY5D/view
    You even might add a column where Excel or whatever you're using calculates that for you (fx U:T*270)
    But nice that it seems to work now and you can drive in a decent way.

Still, I do have to (partly) disagree to your statement that there are only very few tracks anyway where a max of 180 degrees is needed, though. If you're driving mainly cars with low wheel angles (open wheelers) you might be right. But it just won't work if you're hopping into a DTM92, Gr.4, Gr.5, X-bow, NSU, Carrera cup classic or one of the Touring classics (all in the 790-900 degree range) I love those cars, and there are plenty of spots where I even have to change over my grip on the wheel to make the corner...
    There's a reason 900° wheels exist ;)

Oli

18. Warrpirek

Warrpirek New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah these cars dont use much aero, drift on 270wheel is hard/impossible but still for example last competition dtm 1992 on nurbringring only first curve people use 360 degrees and whole else track less that 270. First curve also is possible to beat using 270 with decent performance.

19. Thxave

Thxave Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have a 270wheel and have yet to encounter any problems or difficulties in any sim.
    I can't imagine even needing to turn a wheel more to get around a track.
    Maybe I just haven't been on the right tracks yet or drive a Pontiac from the late 1970''s.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Uhm... Since we're talking about variable steering ratio, does it really make sense to talk about "realism" of steering wheel angles? It's not the steering wheel that actually turns your car, it's your front wheels - so it's the steering lock that should be considered enough or not enough, not the steering wheel angle. The latter only affects how "twitchy" your car feels when you steer it and how precise you can be with your steering (more steering angle available - more precision).

And as I said before, from my personal experience (I try to run as little steering lock as possible) 10° is enough for most, if not all, tracks; lots of tracks are fine with 9°; and on some you never need anything more than 8°.

Upd: Looking at the chart above, most cars have steering ratio from 30:1 to 40:1. 270° wheel at 10° steering lock gives us 27:1 steering ratio which isn't that far from real ratios. And at 8° lock, it's 34:1. So yeah, it might take some time to set everything up, but once you do this, you shouldn't have much problem with a 270° wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020