Please re-work contact with AI cars...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faldrath, Jul 2, 2015.

1. faldrath

faldrath New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ... because right now it is ruining AI races for me, and for pretty much all my friends who enjoy R3E.

It is so weird that whenever I touch (or am touched by) an AI car, the contact sends me into an immediate, unrecoverable spin while the AI car marches on as if it were a tank. I remember playing R3E a few months ago and it wasn't like that (or, at least, as extreme as that), so I think something changed for the worse in the meantime.

Given that contact is unavoidable in most of the categories available in R3E (touring cars, GT3, Group 5) - I really hope this is addressed soon.

Thank you for a game that has really improved so much in the past few months - these AI quirks are the only thing stopping me from fully enjoying R3E.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I think, as also stated and brought up somewhere else, that the current AI's using a simplified physic model.
    Most visible/valuable proof for me is observing last turn on Portimao, where AI defies G force rules and they gain an abnormal sling effect gaining a lot on the straight.
    The only thing I'd suggest it's to try to go extra careful with a braking AI (don't stay in their wake) and exercise major attention in the first few laps. If you get out of there unscathed then chances are you'll be able to finish the race and be as jolly as you please. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This has nothing to do with the physics model the AI cars use to drive, it's about collision physics. The problem is when you drive side by side with an AI car and a really very, very slight touch happens your car miraculously starts to spin away from the AI car - no chance to stop the spin. This strange behaviour is there since there is AI in RRRE and I have experienced this more often than I could count. Very annoying, really.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

I have posted already some videos about this behaviour, and used to be very harsh in my comments about this. Thats because it ruins all the experience.

The problem was never addressed, unfortunatelly.

• Agree Agree x 12
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    the physics and collisions are very very closely related

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    It needs to be fixed yes, totally agree. When you get sideswiped it's like an invisible magnetic repelling force just chuck you away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i have not had this problem but i only play dtm 92 and touring so maybe its got something to do with hi downforce cars

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    It's really bad with the ADAC GT Masters cars. As Emersons video shows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Any of you guys ever play with 'torquestab' settings in GTR2? ;)

10. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Mmmm...not really. They partly affect each other in a way that a car, that is glued to the ground like the AI cars, will not move realistically in case of a collision, but they are still two different things.

But that's not the point here anyway. I was referring to @::SKRO:: because his post didn't really hit the nail in this special matter. The sometimes strange performance of the AI due to the simplified physics, resulting in crashes, is not what @faldrath was talking about. The problem is exactly what you can see in the short video clip of @Emerson Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting. I rarely drive offline races tbh, but when I do so it's mostly GT Masters. So I experienced this behaviour with GT Masters only as far as I remember.

When I find the time I will try it with other classes to see if it is different there for me too.

Thanks for the input. :)

12. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    @Arthur Spooner I was saying that AI, IN GENERAL, adopts a simplified model of the in game physic. Whether is collision or just "car physic" or what you'd call that. They both interact by the way as shards pointed out, cause one influences the other at the time collision occurs. If you notice when you play against other human drivers, collision effects are not so drastic, on the contrary they seem very real. That's why I was saying that AI is using a simplified model of physic (I made that example cause to me that's the most obvious sign that shows this condition)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Yep! We can surely agree on this altogether. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. CirKan

CirKan Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree, and I hope they also find time to fix the excessive aggressiveness of the AI in some corners. Sometimes the AI hit me out of the track in nonsense actions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Hehehe... :D

This has become a lot better with the last patch. Some stupid moves still to see, but it has become a lot less. At least from my experience. Problem is that people now complain that the AI is not aggressive enough anymore and fails to pass each other which leads to a long queue of cars during a race. Whatever they do, it's always wrong for somebody. :cool:

I'm very curious to see what will happen when we will get the possibility to have multi class racing in single player. I can still remember what was going on in GTR2. When you started a 24h race in e.g. Spa you could easily win because as soon as the AI GT1 cars started to overlap the GT2 cars they mosty failed to pass them. If you were driving a BMW M3 GTR, which was a bit faster than the GT2 cars, but far away from the GT1 cars, you could still win the race. After two hours in the race you were able to take over the lead. :confused:

16. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The collision model is way too simplified. In any case, the result is always the same: your car spins out of control.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Here's another example: 2 contact scenarios.
    1st time I get hit and forced off the track.
    2nd time, I hit the outside car, but instead of the car moving to the outside, AI continues to drive to the apex - pushing me towards the guardrail and I end up flipping. BTW, I am at full lock - turning left - trying to move the AI car to the outside.

Also, sometimes, I do not feel nor hear the contact and I end up spinning for what seems like no reason. But after reviewing the video, I see we made the "slightest" of contact.

It will be fixed eventually. Just takes time. Sector3 programmers need at least an hour of sleep ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    The issue is not with aggressiveness, The issue is with very odd spin that defies logic.
    When my front gets a slight tap coming from the left i should not be starting to spin counter clock wise. I have experienced it and while its not all the time or with all class/cars it is there for sure.
    That's why i prefer online or leader board challenges atm

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  19. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    First time you turned in on him. the ai did nothing wrong other than go for a gap you left open
    second time the ai squeezed you to the inside of the track onto the grass and you hooked a wheel on the curb.

20. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes, please fix the AI !

• Agree Agree x 1