Please re-work contact with AI cars...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faldrath, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I use to love driving against the AI but not since the update...Would still like to see Adaptive AI in free practice mode as well..

2. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    C'mon Sector 3 guy's please spend a little time and fix this issue it is really detrimental to the Single Player race experience.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. VirginiaF1

VirginiaF1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Race07 A.I. were made of granite as well, so maybe S3 just imported that coding from Simbin?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I actually don't mind this that much, as long as it happens to other cars as well on occasion.
    Contact is cruel in real life as well.

5. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but that little scrape in the front fender that R32 gives me would barely jolt my car IRL, and i go spinning wildly out of control. This is a collision bug, and it is really irritating. And i do not really care if it happens to other cars either because this event should not take place at all anywhere on the track at anytime, we are after all playing a Simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Using WTCC, GT2+3 and DTM style cars both old and new, I do not see that big problem with collisions. Maybe contact is established at too high impact speed? LOL

I have contact to cars in front of me or beside me all the time, especially in turns or when chasing somebody through snakeline turns. Sometimes I spin myself out and gotta admit that I touched the other at too high impact speed, but most of the time I keep my car on track and in pursuit, and see the aI car also struggling s second or two, and moving on - exactly what I would expect to see in most of these situations.

I cannot share the sentiment of the described problem being a general always-on issue. It is not. The issue more likely is player's driving...

So much for the collision results.

The AI and the way it reacts to contacts being made, is more diverse, but even here one has to take into account the fact that many players seem to ram their way through it in a bid to enforce their line that bases on unmaintainable assumptions about how and what the AI should do - and it is always expected to give room, it seems.

Also, when you7 are in front and brake too sharp, no matter whether the driver behind you is AI or human - you can end up leaving the other too little time to react, and so he dives his nose into your rear end. Often players complain about this as the aI shooting off players' cars as if they were not there, and the aI being unaware of players cars. But the real problem often is the player simply driving too unpredictably and too ruthless. In both AC and in R3E, I almost never have this problem with the car classes I use most.

In both sims, there are cars that usually are the more exotic, the more powerful and aggressive and inherently instabile cars, where the AI struggles to keep them in stabile attitude, and adapt braking behavior, so that it indeed tends to happen easier that player and AI end up in a conflict that ends with the player being messed up. But that is an issue with a minority of cars, I would say, and it is that minority of cars that I personally am less interested in anyway. The higher the acceleration, the higher the speed, the less time the car has to brake, and that is true for an AI-controlled car as well if it still should behave the laws of believable physics algorithms. Else you get cars that within one second can come to a standstill from 220+ km/h. That might avoid them slamming into player'S rear - but would you be satisfied to see this behavior?

In AC, the described issue of collisions not affecting the aI cars as much as driver'S car, is much more obvious and significant a problem - almost never I have managed to even intentionally spin an AI car out - they are glued to an invisible track to which they always stuck and that saves them from any spin, no matter what. The Force is is strong in them, really, and it works miracles and wonders. :)

In AC, this criticism to be read here, would be valid. But in R3E I cannot share it.

A good question one should always ask when one wonders about these issues showing up, is this: "What has my driving style to do with it, maybe?". - Lets face it, many players simply push too easily and too hard, daring to drive in a way that in reality - in a real car costing money and protecting real own body, life and health - they would be too afraid to even think about. A simulation that is nevertheless meant to copy - and to cope with - the driving ways of real world driving, necessarily will show a player the limits of the reasonability in his doing like this.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely. sometimes like 1/50 chance the player seems to get thrown into a uncontrollable spin for no reason but other than that it is always the player at fault (or driving erratically) from what i have seen.

8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    My only real issue with AI collision behaviour is when I give an AI car a rear end tap when braking into a corner, which often sends my car into a spin yet the AI carries on as if nothing happened. Perhaps it's coded this way to discourage rammers but it's certainly not what I would call natural collision physics in this scenario.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    the physics are simplified so that they use less cup, some sacrifices were made but i think if you ram a ai or a ai rams you both cars would spin of irl so just you spinning off really isn't a major issue cause to you it has the same effect.

10. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Invariably the car being pushed is unsettled in real life, not the car doing the pushing. A car that is braking heavily or locked up will mostly want to plough straight ahead, not spin.

11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    irl you bust your intake and have your engine blow up, so i dont see how spinning is a big deal.

12. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Because it's not correct physics, something a racing simulator has to get right.

13. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    if you want 5 fps then im sure they could give every ai perfect physics. look I'm not saying it shouldn't be improved, I'm just saying we need to get our priority straight and this is a racing simulator not a destruction derby simulator. what happens when you ram someone shouldn't be first on the list of improvements.

14. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yep, a racing simulator. And when the collisions are so funky (as per all the complaints in this thread and others) it's not simulating racing as well as it should. I find racing the AI more difficult than it should be because of the collision behaviour.

I'm not talking about super computer level physics for the AI, just basic, natural reactions when the cars come into contact with each other.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Now you are taking it a little to far. We are not talking about a the car version of MMA here. we are talking about being sent into an uncontrollable spin just from a little touch that would barely scrape the paint job. And the collision model of the sim is a really important part of the whole simulation. And we can never have a perfect environment cause of limited computing power. 90% of the time the collision model behaves but there are flaws, and those can be improved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    your saying that and i agree. james isn't hes talking about being rammed, "My only real issue with AI collision behaviour is when I give an AI car a rear end tap when braking into a corner", a tap is probably a bit of an understatement because i know i can lightly tap the ai on the rear without spinning.

17. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Said it before and say it again, it exist, the problem is real it's not because of the way people race. I've been racing since the old papyrus title with a wheel. This is something odd, but it's not happening all the time, the ammount of force or angle doesn't matter.

I am not a fan of offline race with Ai when I race offline I would rather do some leaderboard challenge or competition because of this problem. I've made a video before like the one above and of course was shot down that it was of course my fault, I could make example after example it doesn't matter , it's there it's real but it's not always.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    The vid is not the best example cause coming from that high-speed straight in Bathurst the cars always become unstable under full brakes -specially when your brakebalance is not 100% correct - on the other hand, yes, the AI there was definitely too rude...:)

19. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    No, it's a tap, as in braking a little late or being brake-tested by the AI mid-corner or something. I'm not talking about ramming an AI car. Don't misconstrue my words.

20. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    So, the oversimplified collision mode is my fault? It's about my bad driving?

In conclusion, we have just forget about the basic laws of physics.

• Like Like x 1