[Poll] Downshift Prevention, yes, no or maybe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian G, Oct 12, 2015.

?

DSP - a feature needed or just plain evil?

1. + DSP

19.8%
  2. + DSP, but only for cars that have it irl

71.0%
  3. + DSP, but not in SP

3.1%
  4. - DSP

6.9%
  5. [How] Put car into neutral until save revs are reached

1.5%
  6. [How] Reject shift requests

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa just added this feature and while I hate it for going against all my simracing experience, if it's more realistic, then it should be in the game.

It'll also prevent the crazy and unrealistic transmission abuse this game is a bit famous for. Fast drivers will still be fast, there will just be a little adjustment period as everybody gets used to downshifting a little later.

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    As long as I will be able to get my rear wheels to lock up and or gearbox / engine to blow in the cars that don't have DSP when I downshift too early I'm happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Exactly that, I discovered DSP in the recent AC update and I like it.
    If it is in the real car, I want it in my simulator.

4. R.C. Collins

R.C. Collins Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I may be mistaken but in real cars the DSP is fully programmable. ?? Can it even be overridden or turned off?

I'm all for it if it emulates real world systems but as most sims are right now, all don't really get the most basic of gearboxes remotely close. iRacing is the BIGGEST TURD of all as far as fake and incorrect and has been for as long as anyone can remember.

There probably should be other concerns or focus when it comes to gearboxes and shifting. It would be nice to have more realistic gearboxes first then worry about the extras unless these things can arrive through combined development.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon Could you answer my question please?

• Like Like x 1
  6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I#m actually no fan of OW's but coming from Sector 3 I'll make an exception (under reserve :D)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Fancy age has a lot to do with open wheelers, FI2015 moves along at quite a pace and my poor abused brain cells find it a tad difficult to maintain the frantic speed for too long before needing a cup of tea, biscuit and a lie down!
    That aside still can't wait for them, especially the 60's era and low aero classes, also can't wait to see what Anthony has come up with in the sound dept, free range may well mean some storming soundtracks to drive round to!
    On a completely different note, one of the splash screens yesterday had the Nordschleife tucked away to the right behind a DTM car, anyone else see this?

8. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Already did that with the skyline:eek: it wasn't pretty:(:D
    I find people's conditional realism somewhat annoying. I haven't been in the online for a while partially because of the way many people bang around on the track.
    I look at it this way. If you actually paid $300'000 to $500'000 dollars for a car? Would you REALly be hammering it like that? Simulators are great because they allow us to pretend to own very expensive sports cars. If you want reality, think about the car as if you had to pay for it. That's why the owner of these cars are developing the safety systems the in the first place. THEY have to pay for it.
    Sorry for the off topic rant. But it is closely related to the DSP issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    You wouldn't happen to have a preview of this? :D

10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    That is also how I get most immersed. We should really charge vrps for repairs in the game :-D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Serious - that is not the worst of possible ideas. Some games already have "consumables" - items that get spend and must be replaced at a cost (in real money).

The trick is to find the right balance between, the right mark for where the measurement serves its intended purpose, and customers still are not running away from the game. Probably easier to implement in moderated online league racing only with membership subscription. And wasn't there a game in the past where players could challenge other online players, and the winner took the loser's car? Test Drive Unlimited was it, I think, where you could earn virtual money, buy several cars and individualise them. Losing a car was a loss, but none that left players without options to play on.

At least charging players who ram other players so that other players spin off - that is worth a consideration. Call it "Real Life Career" mode, or something like that.

13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Actually....it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hehe - maybe another F2P aspect... After a Crash you have to wait a Day to get it repaired and you can drive again with it - or you buy a Scotty-Repair-Pack and get it done within a Minute...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    :eek: PLEASE DON'T!:flushed: At my skill level I'd have a garage full of broken cars:disrelieved:
    Rather than have vrp repairs. Earn money in races and have to use that money to repair your car.
    Still,,,,, I'd rather not:neutral: I like things just the way they are in that respect.:yum:
    But like you, it's definitely part of the immersion on a mental level.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  18. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i wonder about that somtimes. a lot of popular games use a cash system even a few f2p racing games but they are always arcade and normally pretty bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps there's a way to implement a penalty system for rammers by calculating contact and what happens to the struck car, if it leaves the boundary of the track then the rammer loses all power until rammed car is back on track and 100 metres up the road, 3 strikes and you're out! Costs nothing other than coding time and rammers would soon get bored (hopefully). Not exactly lifelike though but then neither is letting race drivers who ram other drivers off without penalty.

To reiterate, just by showing incident replays at end of race (especially first corner) with name tags would be enough to embarrass the majority.

or

seeing as some of the pro drivers have offered their time to development off season perhaps a short video explaining what is/isn't acceptable on the race track surrounding contact, I don't think any of us mind if it's a genuine misjudgement, an apology offered and original on track positions returned but that little nudge on last turn spinning you out, losing countless places and stoking the red mist to come down upon some other innocent is the spoiler for me :mad: spend an hour plus practicing, quali then last bend in race and nudge :mad::mad::mad: really don't get it :confused:o_O:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  20. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    we already have a system that detects if you miss the breaking point for novice so perhaps it could penalise people who hit someone after missing the breaking point by over 30 meters.