[Poll] Downshift Prevention, yes, no or maybe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian G, Oct 12, 2015.

?

DSP - a feature needed or just plain evil?

1. + DSP

19.8%
  2. + DSP, but only for cars that have it irl

71.0%
  3. + DSP, but not in SP

3.1%
  4. - DSP

6.9%
  5. [How] Put car into neutral until save revs are reached

1.5%
  6. [How] Reject shift requests

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    A realistic damage model solves both the immersion part with fear of too much contact or crashing out, as well as the rammers.
    They can do one successful crash, then they're out.. Win, win.:D

On the point of a career mode, I really like the way Codemasters solved this in Dirt Rally.
    The whole game is open to mess around with as you want, but there are also a career mode where you earn money and have to purchase new cars to drive.
    And with set championships based on what class and rank you are in.
    Would be nice to see a mode like this in R3E one day.
    And could possibly draw some progression seekers to the game as well. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    :rolleyes:
    A really funny thread!

Is there a connection: Weekend is just about <-> imagination ran riot o_O

3. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I believe Gran Turismo has a system like this by using "penalties". After contact the car is ghosted and loses power for some number of seconds depending on how severe the incident was. A penalty would also be triggered if the car left the track limits. When it worked, it was good. But often times it seemed the car that got hit would get the penalty and the rammer would continue on with no ill effects. I also thought the two penalty systems should be separate, I would have always run with track penalties on in my clubs but the damage penalty didn't work that well so I always ran with all penalties off because both penalty systems were lumped together into one option.

Sounds like they've been watching too many NASCAR races. :D (skip to 1:25)

4. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Taking out an innocent party at the same time, doesn't seem fair or win, win.
    People give up on online racing because they don't want to waste an hour preparing for a race that a numpty can ruin in a split second, I'm fine with it if the rear ended car remains serviceable but they still get penalised if rammed off track.
    Maybe the iracing idea is not that far off the mark even though it's not really my cup of tea!

5. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Implement a realistic damage System and this solve most of the known Problem. Engine damage like race07.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    it would be nice to have fixable radiator damage so only the rammer got crippled.

• Like Like x 1
  7. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The thing is.
    As it is now, 80% of the ones getting rammed rage quit anyways.. .
    And the rammer can keep ramming people on every lap till the race is over!..
    Getting him disabled after the first crash will save many players grief, even if he will be able to take some unfortunate guys with him.
    It would be for the greater good.
    Would also make the races more exiting, thrilling and immersive! = win, win.
    Should be optional of course, both in mp and sp.

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Oh wow, we're talking rammers now...
    My 0.02: You simply cannot stop people from being knobheads. If they want to arse around, they'll find a way to do it. What worries me is that the more intricate the means against ramming (or make that gear dropping) become, the more they seem to alienate many people while not really curing the disease.

And btw, thanks to everyone for voting, didn't expect such a turnout. Neither such results tbh, DSP has recieved negative response when introduced pretty much anywhere (AC, iracing...), but maybe we believe S3S can pull it off. :) (God I hope they actually do :p )

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Like I said before, I found it extremely annoying in Assetto Corsa, but after having gotten used to it I like that you can downshift in a way that makes sense. I don't feel like I have to abuse a loophole in the game's physics anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    To me it's clear, go the sim route, DSP for cars that have it IRL, for cars that doesn't have it impose heavy wear on transmission and/or engine.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    There's only one answer here if you ask me and it kind of obvious.

Let me put it this way, you need that if you're riding your FJR1300 with auto clutch :p

12. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for taking this off topic.
    But did he actually get away with that cheap move, and could be proud of the win??!!.. What a disgrace!..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's a perfectly legitimate move in NASCAR, happened again yesterday in the Kansas race. http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascars-joey-logano-spins-out-matt-kenseth-to-win-at-ka-1737227755 I believe NASCAR actually encourages this kind of behavior because it usually leads to post-race fisticuffs and that's good for ratings (I'm dead serious about that, they famously told their drivers "Have at it boys").

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  14. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yep, they've really made a mess of it the last few years. Even one of their former champs said recently "It's not competition anymore, it's just entertainment". That's why they have "phantom cautions" to bunch the pack up and most of their races finish under "green-white-checker".

16. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yup, went from sanitized and boring to pathetic. Trouble is its not the drivers fault really. The owners made it boring and the bankers made it pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    After playing with the new downshift prevention, I'm really glad it's here.

It's more lenient than I was expecting (AC's is very strict) but downshifting feels much more natural now that you can't do what I have been affectionately calling "brake turbo." It's where you could horrifically abuse the gearbox to slow down much faster than you should be able to by downshifting extremely fast. The gear grind noise when you try to do the same in a stick shift car is a nice touch.

• Like Like x 1
  18. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I agree i never actually hit the preventer once last night in 4 different races with sequential cars.

19. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't fond with the idea but actually it didn't change my life. I had to do a very aggressive crazy downshifting just to test that it really was there, cause I didn't notice in my regular driving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I like it! It actually helps with a slight issue I have on my BMW rim where I occasionally will have a double downshift when I hit the paddle once ^^