[Poll] Downshift Prevention, yes, no or maybe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian G, Oct 12, 2015.

?

DSP - a feature needed or just plain evil?

1. + DSP

19.8%
  2. + DSP, but only for cars that have it irl

71.0%
  3. + DSP, but not in SP

3.1%
  4. - DSP

6.9%
  5. [How] Put car into neutral until save revs are reached

1.5%
  6. [How] Reject shift requests

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    you can setup a double shift prevention delay in the controler settings ;)

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I also found it to work well with my driving right from the start, wasn't gear dropping, shifting like I would irl anyway. Great to hear you guys like it.

3. baronkg

baronkg Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My friends and me would like to drive WTCC and first our bad impression was Downshift Prevention in WTCC cars. So we ask real ex-WTCC(TC1) driver for opinion and he told us that such thing exist in Seat Leon Cup and Audi TT Cup cars but not in WTCC cars with sequential gearbox. If reason for implementation of such thing in Raceroom was to get more realistic feeling then this DPS in cars which never had it doesn't have sense. Your opinion?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    The result of the poll shows exactly your opinion;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The main reason the DSP was introduced for every car in the game was that people were abusing the engine brake excessively, which was particularly disliked in competitions that gave out prizes. So it was introduced for balancing or "fairness" reasons.

But that thing about WTCC cars not having a DSP system...are you actually sure about this? Because they might not have a distinct part for that, but I thought every sequential gearbox has an over-revving protection by design, meaning you simply cannot downshift if revs are too high. At least that's how it worked on all sequential drive cars I've driven, which weren't actual race cars admittedly, but some quite sporty ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. baronkg

baronkg Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    His words were that such thing doesn't exist in WTCC cars and that you can very easy burn your engine if you downshift very fast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    That's why mechanical failures should be turn on during competitions. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, who am I to argue with an actual racing driver, whoever it might have been. ^^

If it is a true sequential manual I think it is possible, just like on a motorcycle, but I don't know what gearboxes WTCC uses nowadays (and I'm not that interested to actually try and find it out). But I know that the BMW 320 TC that is included in the WTCC 2013 pack did have a semi-auto sequential gearbox, and I'm quite positive those cannot be over-revved.

Anyway, the main reason was and is abuse of engine braking, which has been eliminated with the introduction of DSP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    "That's why mechanical failures should be turn on during competitions. ;)"

they should be in my opinion and on getreal leader boards , motors spitting out there entrails and a big boom , because basically at present a lot of people rape the gearbox's to get a fast time .. if a car has dsp in real life then great , if not -then great but make it real in get real competitions and leader boards so if you drive like a nutter its in the bin.
    i would also like to see engine wear /gearbox wear carried over from quali to race in sp and mp

Andi

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    +100
    For the cars that don't have DSP I much rather see / feel a big jerk, loud tire squeal as my wheels lock up and send me in an uncontrolled spin backwards out in the gravel!! :eek::confused::screamcat::oops::D
    And if it was a big enough abuse on the gearbox with several gears skipped, you have my permission @J-F Chardon to send smoke up my hood and let me retire in shame. :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. baronkg

baronkg Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Be careful... ;):D "That is also how I get most immersed. We should really charge vrps for repairs in the game :-D"

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bartosz Janus

Bartosz Janus Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    dsp sometimes annoys me, I mean seriously. Truth to be told it was my secret weapon to accelerate quickly.
    Anyway if it exists in real racing cars, why not, however using it additionally to every single car is not my cup of tea :)

13. baronkg

baronkg Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Same here, especially when WTCC with mechanical sequential gearbox have similar behavior like Audi TT with DSG gearbox. I hope that Sector3 will consider this issue.

14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    id be happy to see it go on cars that dont have it , but as i said earlier id like to see it blow the gearbox to shreds and kill the engine if you "cheat shift" and id love to see engine gearbox damage transfer from quali to race ..aero and body damage not so much

Andi

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2