[Poll] Track boundaries - your opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian G, Oct 12, 2015.

?

What should be the defining track boundary?

1. White/Yellow lines

65.7%
  2. Kerbs/Curbs

34.3%
  1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    As this is an ongoing debate, what do you think should define the border of a track, lines or kerbs?

I advocate lines as those are used in the official FIA rules, but if we look at real life races that is not the case in most series.
    Maybe this poll might help shape a clearer picture of what the users prefer.
    So if you will, cast away. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I say curbs and not the extra green runoffs that modern tracks have. Plus for white lines, id say two wheels on is fair enough.

3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Certainly let people use kerbs, I have very few complaints about the limits in general, just would like a more subtle 'lap ruled out' message (in reality you wouldn't know instantly anyway).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    So do I.

I always found R3E to be to wide on this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You still can use Kerbs if the track limits are the white line. As long as you have 1 wheel in between the 2 whites lines (say: on the track)
    With FIa Rules (and most series) Kurbs are NOT a parts of the tracks, they are behind the white line, their not meant to be part of the racing line, it's just pilots that use the maximum they can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    To make this clearer: The basic idea is the system that is in place for cut track detection: Two wheels have to remain on a specific surface all the time to not get invalidated/warned.
    So the question is should you be allowed to use the kerb as long as you leave two wheels within the lines or should it be ok to go even wider and be valid as long as you have two wheels on the kerbs.

Remember, there are tracks with very wide kerbs, like Hockenheim or Spa. And there are tracks that are one massive kerb, like Paul Ricard. ;)

I just think we should come to a definitive decision, as right now it's a mix of both, varying from track to track.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Stop making track were running wide is an advantage. put grass or gravel on the outside of your corner. they have been doing it for years in Australia and America why do we need to have stupid run offs the cars are safe enough to handle a crash these days anyway.

I say make astro turf more rough and slippery in game. It is more slippery irl.

as you can tell i don't like cut track rules on the outside of tracks and i think chicanes need to be more vicious. this is not a problem just in raceroom but also in real life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    What the FIA says. You can still use the kerbs, just keep two wheels inside the lines at all times. Simple.

R3E is a little generous on kerb/run-off use in certain corners. If the FIA rule is enforced everywhere on all tracks then we all know where we stand.

9. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    For those you havn't watch Blancpain Endurance at Paul Ricard this year:
    Jump to 1:44:40 and watch the onboard lap in the Nissan, they know how to handle track limits :D

If you ask me, I'm for white lines and 2 wheels between them

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Up there with the NASCAR 'no contact' rule...

11. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Eh - well...

12. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Only for the corner after the large straight.

13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I know there are some racing series, where the track limits are handled a little bit gentle by the race directors. I see it a lot in DTM series, where cars using the kerbs without having a wheel within the white lines.

I have voted for the white lines, because all sporting regulations i know (even DTM), describing the white lines as track limits. The kerbs aren't part of the track. Of course, you can use the kerbs, but you need to have at least one wheel within the white lines.

In F1 the drivers get a warning, if they are offtrack a few times. And in qualifying the lap time does not count.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I say white/yellow lines, as long as two tires are inside the lines you're good. It does get tricky when the line is outside of the kerb and the kerb is wide enough to keep half of your car on (so two tires in the grass, two tires on the kerb, zero tires on the tarmac) but in that instance I'd still say as long as two tires are inside the line/on the kerb then it is legal (if a bit ugly).

15. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    White lines, two wheels inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I never saw that on any homologated track I know.
    Do you have an example?

17. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Is it really that black and white, I can think of 2 tracks off hand that are a problem, Norisring and lausicring (I probably spelled that one wrong). I'm all for following the white lines, I just see some tracks are going to be difficult to handle without some consideration. Taking a group 5 corvette off the back stretch onto the road course, it is a very Sharpe and small track with some nice green paint runoff for multiple cars or that darn corvette and it's bad braking ;)

Rich

18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Turn off all in game banners and use Crew Chief, way better, IMO!

19. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Not off the top of my head, I just know I've encountered them in other sims because this very topic was discussed about what was legal in that situation.