POLL You want the real thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jul 11, 2015.

?

Would you like to have a physics model without BOP?

1. Yes, to Get Real without BOP

2. No, i like it as it is

3. Yes to BOP but only within same class

4. BOP only as an option for specific requests/needs

5. Better with no BOP at all

6. Something else, i explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    BOP is just as relevant offline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And you would have both. You would have the possibility to chose with or without BOP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    yup, this is what I they thought they were referring to (same class) with the BOP in the update - i was wrong there. I don't see the point in making different classes perform the same. However, when i tried racing a DTM 92/touring classics MP race recently, it was actually quite good!

So in concept, I don't like the BOP across classes, but in practice it seemed to have it's benefits. Providing an option to turn on /off I think would be nice for single player, but i think for MP we don't need anything else to divide the logged on players further into separate races.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I would probably have a stab in the dark and say most of us want bop in real life racing, so why not in Sim. We're not doing re-enactment here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And if you could have both?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I agree with ElNino, at RD we had great race with mixed DTM 92 and Classic cars, but I am also totaly on Turbo˙s side, so give us an option to decide what we want, so we can choose real cars or BOP specifications in the race.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    And for multiplayer, BoP is enforced by the server of course, so the races are either BoP on or off for all the drivers on the race.

This is something that I think would make all the parties happy: it doesn't take anything away from anybody, but offers an option for everybody.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Today I bought Paul Ricard and tested it with ADAC 2014 cars. So I chose the "long straight-layout (1A)" and wondered that a Z4 goes about 285km/h at the and of the straight. I didn't change the setup.
    I mean bmw and audi are known for their poor straight line performance, but for me there was no problem in overtaking SLSs or the mighty Camaro on that straight. So that is just unrealistic and if @Turbo means this case with "Bop", I want that "Bopless" mode^^

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    The idea of adding an option to play w/out bop is an interesting one. At first I was opposed to the idea. But then I considered what exactly that would mean. And after reading all your posts I am on the fence about it, so I haven't yet voted. My own experience with no bop was in a mobile racing game, and most everybody went for the fastest car. Most of whom, about 85%, were not skilled enough to handle it, And the multiplayer was a demolition derby at best some times.
    The original purpose of BOP was and still is to keep racing in the hands of the drivers. BOP is basically same horse power and over all car weight. I know there is more to it than that, for the sake of discussion I want to keep it simple. Keep the playing field level, no one has a clear cut advantage on the mechanical side of the race. NASCAR uses a form of it to the extent that at one time they were considering weighing the cars with the drivers in them. That was 25 years ago and I don't know if that ever happened, but the point is best driver wins.
    In R3E I have found as has been stated earlier, different cars do better on different tracks. I can do better in the Mercedes on Hockenhiem than I can in the BMW. And the reverse is true for me on Norisring. Because they are two different designs of car, and two totally different tracks. And even in the DTM where they also have the same kind of controls, have you heard teams say "well this track favors our cars design so we're hoping to do well here today"
    Now if you look at the Blancpain GT series with a lot less controls in place over the design of the cars you will generally see same manufacturer's tend to win on the same tracks for the same reason.
    I think that in single player mode where you run a championship with one car it could be a good thing, but ultimately not much different than it is now. (for me at least) And in multiplayer, where it is hard to control what car is selected you would see everybody taking the BMW on Norisring and the Mercedes on Hockenhiem so to speak. Unless you could set up an online championship where each driver commits to use the same car through out the whole series.
    So having said all that, I've made up my mind. As someone who has worked as a programmer. I don't think it would be worth the effort at this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely agree with that.
    Therefore it is so difficult to do a good BOP. You have to use more than one track and also with different characteristics, because some tracks suits better to a specific car (engine configuration etc.). If a car has a clear advantage on e.g. Spa, doesn't mean it is the best car on e.g. Sachsenring too.

Good example: Last DTM race at Zandvoort with the dominance of BMW. At the Lausitzring it was Audi, and at the Norisring Mercedes was doing best.

11. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I rather have BoP than no BoP but I think the Touring Classics needs some reshuffling to split the 635 and Volvo from the rest of the class. They really do not fit the current Group A grid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    80s TC and 90s TC?

13. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And if you could have both?

• Like Like x 2
  14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I personally think the pack could be split into two years 1986 and 1992.
    1986 feild:
    BMW 635csi
    Holden VK Commodore SS Group A
    Volvo 240T
    Nissan Skyline R30
    Ford Mustang & Ford Sierra XR4Ti
    Toyota Corrola Sprinter
    and the Mazda RX7 FC
    1992 feild:
    BMW m3 evo2
    Holden VN Commodore SS Group A SV
    Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R
    Ford Sierra RS500
    Toyota AE86 Sprinter Tureno
    Mazda 323 GT-X

and 92 can be balanced to dtm cause they almost were anyway

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  15. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I rather not because it will split the lobby into BoP and non-BoP.

As a mostly single player, I do not mind much for single player perspective. Playing non BoP once in a while sounds nice but I do not know whether it worth the effort for S3S.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    For me it is the single player perspective
    that is the thing, but I don't mind if we could have a non BOP MP as well.

I don't think that a BOP and non BOP will "split" more than 30 circuits (+ all layouts) and 22 racing classes do...

It might actually ad more people to the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Well, so that way also Novice, Amateur and Get Real options split the lobby? I simply don´t get it, why somebody doesn˙t like more options and everybody happy :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I agree i don't see it being worth the effort. my only problem is having the volvo 240 turbo competing with the skyline is silly they shouldn't be in the same class to begin with. I do not think we should have a bop option Im fine with the r32 and the e30 being balanced with the dtm cars. My hope is as they expand the class with holden, ford and mazda (maybe toyota) they can have two separate balanced classes.

19. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yup that is the way I see it...those difficulty settings do seem to split the lobby somewhat. Or at least for me I only like to join get real races. So if I end up preffering BOP races, that's even less races I'd want to join.

That said, if the option were there in MP I'd likely not be bothered too much either way, at least not like with the difficulty classes.

20. JNRRR

JNRRR Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    On the other hand some people will not even join R3E.
    Some kind of authencity is necessary for a Sim.