Poor framerate in the last few months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spanner_76, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Not sure how to explain this, not sure exactly when this started but i do know it was after the last big physics update, not exactly but maybe the patch after it.

I'm now seeing really low FPS in game. Typically going past the pits or long rendering distances its dropping to 30-40FPS and peaking at around 68FPS. Watching my CPU usage its around 10-25% on a i7-9700K while my GPU is 100%

It never used ot do this, I was always 120+ FPS on triple screens 5760x1200

My hardware hasnt changed for a year at least.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Are you guys using Nvidia Fast Sync? That really boosts FPS a lot, at least according to the steam FPS counter. With it on I am getting 135FPS or more compared to 80 when off

3. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Fast sync? wheres that option?

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Nvidia control Panel, manage 3d settings, VSYNC options - fast.

Another good one to try is G Sync, if you have a 144hz monitor. I was mixed up and that is the one that gives me better performance.
    I don´t know if it works or gives advantages for lower hz screens.

[​IMG]
    For it to work/be visible you need to disable any onboard graphics like iGPU in BIOS.
    I turned G sync off as I don´t need more than 80FPS and prefer not to burn out my laptop´s Nvidia having it in use all the time even for just basic desktop and web use. YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think thats specific to your GPU as its not available for my GTX1080 in the driver settings

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I have a 1070 mobile version so we have the same generation GPU. As mentioned, I confused G Sync with Fast Sync. Fast Sync should definitely be visible in the VSYNC options. GSYNC only shows up as per the screenshot if you deactivate any integrated graphics card so it does not appear in device manager. I even had it back on the old 398 driver but now I have activated the iGPU, GSYNC has gone from the options menu.

You might want to try different drivers too as many people claim Nvidia are doing an Apple and slowing down our chips with the newer drivers. I found 398 to be very good but W10 update was hell bent on pushing more recent ones so I am on the latest now.

7. SuperMonacoGP

SuperMonacoGP Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    it's not a matter of vsync or gsync, r3e slows fps at every update. i'm on 2070s and 144hz gsync monitor + i7 9700k, still it is the only sim in which i have fps issues. as said before, dx9 made its time. if the sim will keep on going, it will need something new.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Set pre rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia game options , that may help

Andi

9. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I only have 'VR Pre-rendered frames' option

There is a Low Latency mode that will limit queued frames to 1?

10. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For info, in a race at Brands GP, my FPS fluctuates from 60's past pits to 160 through Westfields out back of track. Is this normal??

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you want a benchmark track with consistentñy high FPS try Road America, Bathurst or Watkin´s Glen.

It´s funny how some tracks have such disparities and even on the same track.

12. ✠UK_SPAWN✠

✠UK_SPAWN✠ Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    How much AI/cars on track?