Released PORSCHE DLC#1

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 21, 2017.

1. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    will there be another Cayman specification? they also promised a Gt4 class!

2. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    There is no turbo ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I find too that the sound is a bit strange when going in high RPM with the Cup and the GT3. For me the problem is the total loss of low frequencies after a certain RPM, and their coming back when changing gear, it sounds strange and disturbing (I play with good headphones that render well the low freqs).

I love the GT 3 and Cayman, damn yesterday was so fun driving. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    To summarize and answer some of the complains I read about the GT3R and the new Porsche sounds in general :
    Right now, the three ingame Porsche sounds are totally accurate with the recordings we made in Paul Ricard circuit.
    On these recordings, the transmission whine was very loud, because it's very loud in the real cars aswell (especially in 2017 models).
    This is not as obvious on the Youtube onboard videos because the camera audio compression is muting it a lot in order to balance each sound in the cockpit. This doesn't happen with a classic audio recorder, therefore the whine is dominating on the recordings, and in the game aswell, as the engine sound was directly sampled from the recordings.
    We have currently no way to decrease the volume of this transmission whine in the game, as it's embedded in the engine samples.
    And also, it's a perfect replica of what happens in the car in real life.
    Though, as it seems to disturb a large part of the players, we will look into recording the GT3R and GT3 Cup audio again, and this time with a different microphone setup so we can split the transmission whine and the engine sound and balance them better in the game.
    Please accept my apologizes for the inconvenience in the meantime.
    Stay tuned for the future improvements and have a great Christmas ! ;)

• Like x 14
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Love it! x 3
    • Useful x 3
  6. axxis278

axxis278 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the precision

7. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I must be one of the few that actually likes engine (and gearbox) whine. I have gearbox whine on my motorcycle and I think it actually adds character, same with the Porsche.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I must precise that I like the sounds, that's just this low frequency "hole" in high engine RPM in Cup and GT3 that disturbs me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Arrowheadrocker

Arrowheadrocker New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony.
    Thanks for the explanation and figured the sound was like real live but then just does not suit me much (personal preference)
    A bit louder engine and less whine (and turbo:p) would be nice though so looking forward to that.
    But it's a great drive!

10. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Turbo? Which car are you talking about exactly? None of the Porsche we released yesterday has a turbo engine ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Anthony
    Suggestion: maybe add a slider to add some exterior sound? (I know, realism forbids)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    He he, don't worry, it's not about realism, a lot of other people requested this slider already, we simply didn't have time to implement it yet. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I may be then the little few who actually like the sounds of all three cars. As you describe, it's an actual representation of the real sounds. Something almost every other game is lacking. And when you indeed take other games and youtube videos (compressed audio/video) for reference, there is a difference. But not because the accuracy of the others (due to bad sound engineering, sampling from those same youtube videos etc.). And since I like things as accurate as possible, I certainly would like it stays true to real life.

Compare it with the GT3 Cup car. In other games you will find available driving aids and possible settings (even when you set things to pro/real life settings) which aren't available in real life. Which makes the GT3 Cup car harder to drive fast than in other titles. Does that make R3E's iteration of the GT3 Cup car bad or lacking? On the contrary. Imho it's the best frickin' car of the bunch (and for me even of the whole collection of cars of R3E) because of it's hardcore nature.

And that is something I become more and more aware of. When you dig into technical regulations, you become aware of the fact how bad series/cars are simulated in some games when set to pro/real life settings. Possible settings which aren't available or allowed in real life. Or driving aids which aren't available in real life. Examples are in AC: GT3 cars with choice of soft/hard tyres while most series it's a fixed compound, especially during a race weekend, or the 911 GT3 Cup car with ABS. And when you dig into PC2, almost everything is pretty FUBAR when it comes down to the truthful simulation of setups and driving aids.

Some do complain about the lack of some settings in R3E, while not being aware of the fact that those settings aren't available in real life in the first place. When you become aware of that, you would realise that R3E does a very decent job in truthful simulating cars and series. That seemingly simple setup window in R3E is often more truthful than in some other games. When you are searching for the negatives in R3E, the only things which pop up in my mind are tyre pressure (when not fixed on a mandatory pressure due to regulations) and truthfully simulating cold tyres and cold brakes (where imho AMS stands out).

And the same with the sounds. While subjective it may sounds off because on TV of Youtube or even at the race track sounds may perceived in another way than when objective measured and recorded.

@fl0wf1r3 what a cool video, didn't watch it for it's sounds. Did watch for the chase. And that speed difference between other car classes and the GT3's. I have read a comment somewhere (I believe in a thread on RaceDepartment) in the past where someone dismissed GT3 as a true racing class car. Too slow, not hardcore enough, too many aids and all that kind of crap. When you watch this, you realise how big those balls have to be from either the people racing the GT3's or the people racing the lower class cars. Because being overtaken with a speed difference easelly reaching something around the 100 km p/h (or 60 miles p/h for the non-metrics) or even more so on a narrow track like the Nordschleife must be pretty scary from time to time. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. franck ballanger

franck ballanger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,

the noise of the gearboxes and the bridge also depend on the different oils used by the engine manufacturers...!!!

15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Give me a break! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. schielchen

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    @Patrick van der Meulen
    I agree, real settings like in real racing.
    But sound is kinda personal taste and won't influence racing itself.
    Real sounds for the purists, and the slider for me :)

17. schielchen

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
  18. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Well, there is some truth in it... When you use cooking oil instead of proper gear oil, it sure will sound very different! :p:D

I have had many different brands of engine oils in different motorcycles. Different viscosities, semi-synthetic, synthetic... None of them ever had any single influence on the sound of the engine, clutch and/or gears. Exhaust sounds on the other hand with different "mufflers"... :smilingimp:

That is certainly true! Sliders for settings to be able to create your own preferable mix of sounds definitely wouldn't hurt! :)

19. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    abs is available(as an option) for the Porsche cup, depends on the rules of the championship. different tires are good for online events.

20. Arrowheadrocker

Arrowheadrocker New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What? No turbo and still charging that much? :D Just kidding. See the remark from Karting06 earlier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1