Porsche sounds final?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cully.ie™, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Cully.ie™

Cully.ie™ Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    For a sim with the best sounds of any sim m cant help but be disappointed with the porsche sounds especially as im a big fan of these cars.
    I recall reading somewhere that the current sounds may not be the final ones, can anyone confirm this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Any (specific) Porsche? For me, the 911 GT3 R sounds okay, the shifting sound effects sound a bit off (they aren't fast enough)
    >
    and the paddle shift compressor doesn't seem to be loud enough but other than that I would say it's good. I do prefer Assetto Corsa and iRacing's version of it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    sorry but this car is not included in iRacing, so how can you prefer it? :D

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The "cup car" which doesn't sound different from the 911 GT3 R in real life. The overall note of the flat 6 in iRacing and Assetto Corsa, I prefer over RaceRoom's.

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    raceroom sounds are direct onboard recordings, so it should give us an accurate sound. But anthony already mentioned that he's looking into doing some new recordings. Problem with the current sounds is not the engine sound, because that's as accurate as it can get, but the transmission whine (irl the whining is speed related and not rpm related like you hear in raceroom's porsche).
    It was impossible to split it from the engine sound because the transmission is so fuckin loud in the GT3 R. Competitors use more synthetic sounds and put a seperate generic transmission sound on top. But anthony refuses to use generic transmission sounds and tries to improve the real sound.

So to answer the OP question: Sounds are probably not final but that's not a promise. The sounds are recorded from a real GT3 R and are authentic cockpit sounds (you can find pics of him on flickr placing the recorder in the car etc). The only problem is the wrong transmission whine.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Can I get a link to those photo's? Not that I don't believe you, I've just alwayse been really interested in game development/sound design. I would love to see it.

7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i think you can find one here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143694754@N04/albums/72157681480203101

you can browse his photos .. they often have hints for upcoming content :-D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, the goal is to record again both GT3-R and 991 Cup during the current season in order to improve the ingame sounds.
    The opportunity didn't happen yet.
    Otherwise, I might try to improve what we have currently ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    At the minimum I’d like to see the gear whine increase with overall speed which is consistent with other sims and not tied to RPM in specific gears.

I’m really hoping it gets addressed soon. The Porsche cars have been the most disappointing purchases I’ve made here and it’s due to sound for both and handling on the cup car.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  10. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this is the main issue, as I said earlier in others threads, it's not really possible to add some separate transmission sound when the real transmission sound is that loud in the car recordings.
    In this case, both cars have extremely loud transmission irl, so it's not easy to prevent it to overwhelm the recordings, unless we can record the cars with a specific microphone setup.
    Of course, we could choose the lazy way, and implement some generic Porsche sounds, but that's not my conception of sound design, especially when we got the chance to record the real cars.
    Among all the car recordings we've made for the SimBin titles or R3E, it's really the first time we met such a loud transmission, and you can hear it in the YouTube onboard videos aswell.
    So, it was totally unexpected but of course, we will take care of it when we record the cars again. ;)

• Like Like x 10
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I really admire the fact that you go all in and refuse to go the cheap/easy way. Other sims need sound directors/designers like you.

However, I do have one last concern with not only the 911 GT3 R, but the entire GT3 lineup. I recently went to a GT3 race almost 2 months ago in St. Pete, FL (U.S.) and got the chance to hear these cars in person as you did.

The first thing I noticed about these cars is the obnoxious brake squeal from the carbon ceramics and the transmission whine being audible from the exterior of some of the cars (911, AMG, 488 and Huracan). You can listen more closely to what I mean here > https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJbjiHCXvAB8YVzh2
    Just click/tap the video after you click the link to view.

Will this ear-rape be included in the sound update?
    Thanks!

-Brandon

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  12. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    External brakes squeal is already quite loud on the GT3, but I can certainly increase it a bit more, maybe even find this exact sound to add in the game ;)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The exact sound would be the best, go big or go home! ;) they are quite loud in cockpit (especially the Huracan in real life) as you will be able to hear in this video >
    Louder transmission whine/brake squeal would be fantastic Mr. Monteil, thank you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. nobledms

nobledms Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Gran Turismo Sport replicate that kind of "squeal" quite well .

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Haha no no no not transmission whine, we mean the squeal from the carbon ceramic brakes. GT Sport has cheap, generic sounds. Raceroom is in a whole-nother league.

16. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, and this is the reason why I modified the volume and sensitivity of the brakes sound a few months ago. They were too discrete, especially for the modern cars, and too much pedal pressure was needed to hear the squeal sound.
    It's better now but I agree that we could hear them more from TV cams on high speed braking.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yepp

• Like Like x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought, but don't the GT3 cars have ordinary steel brakes (and that's the reason for the squealing)?

The DTM for example has carbon ceramic brakes....

And the steel brakes have working temps between 400 and 600°C while the carbon ceramic have much higher temps.

Maybe GTE cars also have carbon ceramic brakes.

But I'm pretty sure that GT3 cars only have steel brakediscs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I believe it's the Huracan GT3 that uses Brembo carbon ceramics and a few others. The Porsche I think. I know it's up to the manufacturure to determine what kind of brakes they use, not the FIA. So it will differ from car to car.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  20. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    The Huracan GT3 has steel steel brakes, Source
    The 991 GT3 R has aluminum brakes, Source

• Informative Informative x 1