Porsche sounds final?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cully.ie™, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I also wanted to add that we might have some complete new GT3R recordings after this WE in Nurburgring 24H.
    I'll keep you updated on this.

Also, I'm cooking several interesting improvements for a few common sounds, mostly in chasecam and TV cams/replay.
    Some of them will probably please some people in this thread ;)
    Brake hiss, gearshifts, traction control, scraping, skid/scrub, they're all tweaked to improve the general balance and and make the whole thing more alive, especially for the scraping and traction control that were not audible from trackside cams or chasecam until now. Cherry on the cake, brake will hiss at high speed aswell, and not only from 140 to 0 km/h like before :)

• Love it! Love it! x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, it is quite loud inside these GT3 cars, anyone saying it isn't has not sat inside of one. I've been inside the Cup Car as well as the Huracan GT3 at Sonoma. The cup car was the loudest, the huracan was the scariest. Either way, any sort of muffle to the sound I think would only make it sound not as realistic. Keep the ear rape to a maximum!

3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    May I ask how the traction control sounds? I wasn't aware this makes any noteable sound. In fact I was under the impression that the only effect it has on the sounds is to reduce tyre squeal. :D

4. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    My birthday came early this year...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    When the traction control kicks in you can hear the engine go „BRRRRRRRT“ (for the lack of a better word).
    To say ot oversimplified, the TC chokes the engine once the wheels are about to spin or lose traction. The engine does try to rev higher but cant because the TC is preventing it. it kinda sounds like hitting the redline. Not sure if i ever heard that in a GT car tho but on F1 Cars i heard that very often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0

But you can hear it in "regular" high power cars too, f.e.:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Last weekend I was live at WEC SPA for the 6hours LMP and GTE . The TC per car sounds different. I think Aston Martin has the best TC sound and that you can hear the clearest. The Porsches have soo loud exhaust/engine sound that you cannot hear anything else in the close neighborhood. But oooh they sound so good in the Spa 'valley'

BRRRRRRRRT is a great description. Could also not find anything else how to describe it. It sounds like a low bass rumble?

8. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    A nice exemple of traction control sound, GT3R in the wet :
    I'm currently integrating this kind of TC sound in the game ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
  9. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for keeping an eye on the details of your current sounds. Every improvement is very welcome.Especially if you improving the 911 GT3 sounds. By the way in case if you are also responsible for the DTM 95 C-class sounds...absolutely stunning.
    Thanks for your detailed work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Last weekend on the 24h Nürburgring TV Broadcast, I thought about this topic here.
    While hearing those Porsche sounds onboard, you nearly hear only the transmission whining, as @Anthony Monteil said earlier.

So I think, it could be a big problem to sort those whining out of the recordings. I don't wanna do your job there.
    I know that mostly everyone wants a big sounding engine in a racecar, but in fact it sounds not that big.

Hoping, you get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony Monteil I also noticed the 911 R GT3 downshifts make me piss myself in person, take a look here and (listen to the very beginning) > https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFqbe1u2hs63UZoz8
    Do you think you could also implement that sort of brutality into the game? Everytime that thing passed me @ St. Pete I literally had to change my pants. Absolutely brutal!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In person, the sounds coming from the engine are a lot more prominent than a compressed video from the internet. Try riding inside of one in action, and see what I mean. The transmission whine hurts your ears, the engine only scares the living hell out of you.

I believe the reason that the cameras and mics pick up the transmission whine more than the engine is just simply because certain mics will amplify the higher pitched, more obnoxious sounds over the more low pitched ones. In person however, the engine note and transmission whine (inside the cockpit) are both pretty equally prominent - at all times.

In R3E however, the whine is more prominent at the end of every gear. Something that also needs to be fixed, but like Mr. Monteil has stated previously, that fix is not possible right now.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  13. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    What the hell is paddle shift compressor sound? o_O I hear that sound in Porsche GT3, but whats is that sound doing in real car?
    Its kinda similar sound like DRS on DTM cars in RaceRoom :D

14. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The use of a paddle shift system, where allowed in motorsport race applications offers many significant advantages. Since the engine ECU handles all shift requests and only allows gear changes when pre-programmed conditions are fulfilled. This prevents over-revving of the engine during down shifts, saving on costly engine rebuilds. Since the shift pressure is also controlled in closed loop by the engine ECU, this ensures that all actuated gear shifts are identical, there are no change in how the actual gear shift is performed, preserving the gearbox dog rings and gear wheels. Basically, it increases the reliability and efficiency of each manual gear change.

15. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I know how paddle shift works, but why porsche make that weird sound during shifting and other cars just switch gear?
    I mean like this one

Its also replicated in game, but I spotted that its not doing that sound every time.

16. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just more efficient and reliable. Porsche, Ford, Audi and Lamborghini use this paddle shift component. As for the rest of the manufacturures, I haven't the foggiest idea why they have not used this.

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm not 100 % sure here, but I assume all paddle shift systems are hydraulic. The reason you can hear the hydraulic pump working in the Porsches is simply because it is placed right next to the driver, where the passenger seat would be. You can see it in-game if you look around.
    My guess would be that the other manufacturers place that system somewhere else in the car, so it's not audible from where the driver sits.

And the reason it doesn't happen every time is because as long as there's sufficient pressure in the little tank, the pump won't kick in. So it should only be audible on every 3rd or 4th gear change.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, the new GT3R recordings in Nurb 24H didn't allow me to fix the problem. Actually, it's even worse, and yes, the transmission is that loud into the car. We tried a special omnidirectional mic config with a new high end recorder to ensure that the sound is captured in the most neutral way possible. But the mics are not amplifying the transmission, it's simply extremely loud in the cockpit, and there is nothing we can do about it, excepted capturing the sound from the engine compartment, which would require some specific recording setup and much more time to install it.

In the meantime, I could improve the externals significantly yesterday, and that's already something.
    I'm now considering some others solutions for the cockpit sounds, but it's a sensitive area, because after all this time, many people got used to the current sound, so we need to be sure that everyone will like the replacement sound, if it happens.

About the downshifts, I'm currently reworking a number of external gearshifts sounds, replacing and equalizing some existing ones and adding some new ones. I think you might like the GT3R downshifts after this treatment ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  19. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Did you see my video I posted? I know you already know the 911R GT3 is brutal, but that thing... I swear it sounds like the demon of all race cars when downshifting, it's crazy. I have faith you will replicate that according to it's profile ;) the closest I've ever even heard to the real downshift brutality in a video game is for the Porsche 911 RSR sound mod by "Grand Prix 3 Fan" \/

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  20. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    First, let me say that I appreciate that you guys haven't given up and are trying to fix this.

As a point of feedback, I am not at all tied to the existing sounds of the Porsche cars. In fact, if i'm being honest I prefer the Porsche sounds in iRacing and AC which is pretty rare. It's tough in these cars though, I get it. I seem to remember iRacing posting about how they had some issues with the cup car sounds as well.

Looking forward to whatever changes you're going to make. Please just don't leave it in its current state.