Porsche sounds final?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cully.ie™, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Invictus Deus GT2 RS

Invictus Deus GT2 RS Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, love the quality of R3E sounds but the Porsche Cup car and the Merc AMG GT3 are superb in iRacing.
    Anyway, it's a very positive thing that you guys are trying hard to make this game even better. It's my go to sim when playing offline. Top marks for that.

2. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Well, this is a very fundamental problem. Engine- and differential-sounds come from different sources that behave differently. One changes with revs, the other one with overall speed. To have this replicated in game you need two different layers of sound, each reacting to its respective variable. And you need two unique samples of each of the sounds. When, in case of the Porsche, one of these sounds is so overwhelming prominent, it's more or less impossible to divide the other one from it to have a separate sound sample. And you also can't record them seperately because they always come together. You would actually need a car with a special (silent) differential to record cockpit-engine-sounds. I highly doubt any of the teams running such a car is willing to make such an undertaking for a video game. ;)

You could record the engine reving while the car is stationary. In this scenario no differential sound is generated. But an engine sounds significantly different from when it's under load and when not. I'm not a sound engineer, so I have no idea if such a sample could be edited to sound like it was under load.

4. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    but this car has the VLN rules. This car has a silencer. That's not the real and clear loud sound of this car.

This video have the real Sound

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but they obviously won't want to do that. It's not good for the engine to rev it up to gearshift levels while standing still.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    they could roll the car a bit so that it's technically not standing still.. or is the car this pedantic? :D

7. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Honestly I wouldn't be TOO against (some) artificial/"synthetic" sounds to fix the problem. As long as it sounds as realistic as it possibly can, I'm onboard with it. The only reason most games who use these "fake" sounds get mocked is because they do it wrong (Project CARS 1/2, GT, Forza, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, rFactor 2, etc).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the reason is probably because they used the sound of a previous season car, where the transmission was much quieter.
    Unfortunately, it's not easy to find some 2015 or 2016 GT3R nowadays, same for the Cup car.
    There's a few GT3R in hillclimbs here but the latest ones are from 2013, and the sound is different.

9. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I know it's possible but I have no idea how to do that. We would need a granular synthesis system I guess.
    I always work with real sounds, it is very rarely an issue excepted here, but I reckon those systems allow for some nice meaty sounds (Forza, Dirt, etc)

10. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Mhm, I see. I love the idea of real (mic recorded) sounds, but we also have to remember, these are just sounds for a video game at the end of the day, so I think anything in order to get them to be as real as possible is acceptable, even if that means going outside the realm of mic recording and getting a bit creative with some artificial sound samples. Whatever works !

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I feel the car's overall sound is good, but a little lacking in the mid tone "throaty" sound...like hearing the sound of the airbox and exhaust combined at full throttle giving you a fuller sounding engine note (Like you can hear on the real in car video), whereas the current one is a little "thin" sounding. I notice the same thing on the new Audi TCR car, and someone mentioned the updated P4/5 sound lost it's fullness and sounds a bit tinny. Maybe just a little eq adjustment could do it? It's probably not that simple lol. Thanks for your hard work as always!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  12. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I already equalized the Porsche GT3R but adding more bass won't fix it, and as you said, it's also lacking something that I easily got with the version I made using a 2016 car video. This version was heard by the betatesters only for now but the opinions were very divided about it so we prefered to wait for some new recordings instead of releasing it.
    Clearly, in the current sound, the transmission is killing the "throatiness" as you described, and it also makes the car a bit unpleasant to hear.
    I'm confident we'll be able to take a decision very soon. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    See what happens when you set the Gold Standard with your previous car/engine sounds? We then start to scrutinize new ones to the Nth degree :D! The sound element of RR is one of my biggest bragging points (especially in 7.1) when I tell other's to try out RaceRoom, so keep up the good work! (no pressure ;))

If you have the time to answer...I am curios about how you deal with the sound of an engine at partial throttle, slow accel, fast accel, steady throttle etc.. In the early days of racing games, you could hear there was maybe one sound being increased and decreased in frequency to simulate engine rpm's, which had a really artificial sound obviously...so I guess I'm asking how many different sound clips does it take for you to make one realistic sounding "engine" in game? Is there some blending of multiple sounds to get all various on/ off throttle sounds?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  14. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Hello MrBones:).
    I'll try to give you a short answer (which is not easy when I talk about sounds:p).
    In R3E, we can use until 20 samples for the engine sound (5 for throttle, 5 for coast in cockpit + the same for external).
    We used to have 5 more triggers for mid-throttle, but we removed them as they sounded a bit artificial.
    It was also hard to get the proper samples for it.

Indeed, the blending of samples is the most important part of my job (and the most interesting too), as this is what gives all the dynamic and homogeneity to the engine sound.
    It doesn't always require 20 samples to make a good sound.
    Sometimes only 3 samples for throttle or 2 samples for coast are enough, but this is not common.

Though, there's an important number of additional triggers needed to make a complete car sound.

I hope I fullfilled your curiosity but don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions and if I can answer ;)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Anthony! I've always been heavily into the audio portion of any experience (movies, games, the mix of live music, etc.), so the massive jump in the quality of engine sounds, over the last 15yrs or so, have been really interesting! It's amazing to me how the audio is processed fast enough to match the throttle inputs, traction conditions, and now even transmission elasticity, and all these things factoring in at the same time...it seems to be quite a difficult task, keep working your magic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1