Bug Possible Bug in Multiclass Races

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by m.bohlken, Oct 4, 2017.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well - not really a bugger but I wondered a bit...
    Yesterday I had a Multiclass-Race on a [RR]-Server @Spa with several Classes - I Remember the classes Aquila, GTR3 and Audi TT-Cup where some of the available classes on that server.

At the end of the race I was leading (not only in my class) but it seems that the leader of another class crossed the finish-line first and with that, the "Race end"-Countdown starts.

Shouldn't it be the overall-leader who triggers the end of the race?

2. Marcel Schümmer

Marcel Schümmer Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    We from SRU had a multiclass race on tuesday and will have tomorrow evening.
    We had GT3, GT2, IMSA and Gr.5.
    After Qualifying the qualification times were obsolet.
    They didn't count.
    In the grid first were the GT2 cars, then GT3, IMSA and Gr.5 at the end. But some Gr.5 and IMSA cars were faster than GT2 and GT3.

The leaderboard in the race was ridicolous too.
    Just every class for its own. No overall leaderboard.

This happened after the last patch.
    Tomorrow is another test event.
    Maybe Georg will participate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess I get that current behavior now. I guess yesterday I was on that server you mentioned @Marcel Schümmer. At the moment all Classes are seperated in own races.
    So every class is categorized in its theoretical performance. The fastest is Class A, the second fastest Class B and so on.
    The qualifing is counting but only in your own Class. If you are the fastest in your class, you are starting as first car in your class. But if for example your car is in Class B, all other cars of Class A are in front of you - even if your were faster than the Class A-Cars.
    As said, there is no overall-ranking and in the race you only see the Times/distances of cars in your class. As soon the Race-Time ends. The leader of one of the classes triggers the Race-Finish-Countdown as soon as he crosses the finish-line.
    So in the end there is "Just" an overall-Ranking missing.

That Overall-Ranking would be needed for:
    • Qualifing-Result and Starting-Grid so that the starting grid is based on the overall-qualifing-result
    • Race-Timings in Hud --> maybe switchable to class and overall
    • Trigger for Race finish (only from overall leader)
    • additional final Overall-Result

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Marcel Schümmer

Marcel Schümmer Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hi and thank your for the answer.
    I wrote you a PN.

Till June/July wie didn't have such problems with the classes.
    We want to start season 2 with the Generations Cup and now at the pre-phase we see these problems the first time :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. V8Olli

V8Olli Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    @m.bohlken
    Yeah, that was our server. If I remember correctly, you were driving a white BMW M6 and a few laps before finish, I passed you in the yellow IMSA Nissan. It was quite a nice race, although I was placed in the last starting line despite having the 2nd fastest overall quali time. A lot of cars to overtake …:D

If that has shown anything, it's that the „theoretical performance ranking“ of the classes which Raceroom currently uses (GT2 > GT3 > Group 5 > GTO Classics) is exactly that: purely theoretical.
    You had a good pace in the supposedly „faster“ M6, but I could catch you and overtake you with ease, because the Nissan was vastly superior on the straights. It may be more challenging to drive, yes, but in my opinion, it was the faster car on that track.

From our experiences in the first „Generations Cup“ - Season, the Group 5 & GTO Classics cars are a perfect match in terms of performance, and on most tracks, the GT3-Cars also deliver similar laptimes. On slow tracks the GT3's are maybe a tad faster, but when the straights get longer, the Group 5 & IMSA cars take the lead and can even challenge the mighty GT2's.

And those were only four classes … :confused:
    You simply can't create a complete class ranking, which applies to all tracks.

But that's not even the point: I can think of a few scenarios, where the current „class ranking“ system may be useful, but in most cases, it's not. When I participate in a multiclass race, I want to challenge cars from the other classes. It's great fun to take on newer and/or faster cars with an apparent „underdog“. And when I do that, I want to race them directly, without blue flags or different final results. When I qualify before them, I want to start before them, and when I'm the one leading the race, I want to be the one who triggers the „finish“ countdown. I know of very few „real“ race series with multiple classes where this is handled differently.

Multiclass races (with matching classes) are a great way to fill up your grid when there are not enough interested drivers for just one class. If there aren't many people who are willing and/or able to drive the old Group 5 monsters … let the others take a GT3 instead. The result: a larger field, more duels on track, more fun for everyone ... But with the current system, this is no longer possible. :(

So please, dear devs, listen to what m.bohlken has already said and re-implement an „overall“ ranking as soon as possible. Or, if you see advantages in the current system, add an option to the dedicated server menue where you can switch between the two ranking systems.:)

Thanks a lot!

Olli

• Like Like x 2
  6. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Maybe soms stupid thinking
    Is there a different between settings in the dedi server if you select only the classes wich maybe create different results.
    Or select the cars instead of classes.
    I haven't this tested but maybe this give different results.;)o_O

7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you are correct that the overall leader (who is usually in the fastest class) should trigger the race finish.

This isnt the case right now and has been reported. Frankly, I think this is one of those refinements that is needed to have a functioning and fleshed out multi-class experience for single player, and it just hasnt been implemented yet. So, the way it should work just isnt in the game logic yet.

Dont thing it is a bug in the sense that it isnt working as intended... as I dont think the correct logic is coded into the game yet :p

• Agree Agree x 1