Proper Downshifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DirtyriceTX, Apr 22, 2016.

1. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I have no problems up shifting in the manual cars. But down shifting I seem to always do some damage to my gearbox. I let off the gas while pressing in the clutch, with the clutch fully depressed, I use my paddles to change gear, then clutch out and then back on the gas. I'm in an acceptable rev range when I downshift. Even if I let the revs drop to near nothing, still damage. The only other sim I do is iracing, which has no clutch simulation at all.

Please show me the way, European driving masters. Us muricans aren't used to three pedals :) I'm guessing it's from lack of proper throttle blip? I've been trying to work on that.

2. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Down shifting with the clutch takes a LOT of practice. I'm still working on it. I found what helps me is to set the clutch to auto. You can still use the clutch and the auto clutch kinda helps smooth it just a little bit.
    It seems like the most successful, spend more time practicing the toe heel gas and brake combo. Toe on gas, heel on brake is what I do. So I can brake and blip at the same time with my left foot on the clutch. I suck at it and usually end up just using the auto clutch to downshift after a while.:oops:

3. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Just normal stick shift gearshifting you go from gear to nutral then in to gear so if you ar using padles you skiping nutral and goes straight to the lower gear that is why you damage the gearbox, you need to blip the gas to do that or use the autoclutch.
    Think about it like a stick shift it is in gear you pres clutch move gearstick to nutral then put in next gear release the clutch.
    if you are using padles to gearshift manualy you skip the nutral hence the damage engine and gearbox are not in rpm sync so a throtle blip is needed before engaging the gear to get them in sync then the gear goes in smoth without damging the gearbox.

Edit
    to achive that with paddles you need to before changin down gear, press cluth rev the engine slitly as you do that and the same time as you release the clutch you change down gear simultanesly and if you got it right it should change down gear without damage, could use some pratice to make it work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. DirtyriceTX

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess I have even more reason to get a H shifter now. I'll try to work on throttle blipping until then. I've only driven a couple offroad vehicles that were manual and I never had to blip lol. Luckily I've watched enough youtube videos to know why you need to blip, I just didn't know it was the lack of h shifter that made the difference? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome and you won't regret getting a H-shifter when you get the hang of using one ;)

Edit: I just recently bought a T500 H-shifter and use it with the G27 wheel OH gee I should have done that from the start it is just awesome feeling in that H-shifter I recommend it highly. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DirtyriceTX

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I have fanatec clubsport v3 pedals and v2 wheelbase. I'll probably end up going with the fanatec sequential/h shifter. After I go to the bank this morning, its time to practice blipping. :)

7. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for starting this thread. It has inspired me to knuckle down and get a handle on downshifting without auto-clutch. Far more immersive.:) And tho I still have a long way to go, my lap times are coming down.;)And I'm spending less time in the dirt without the it. :D
    Couple of questions.
    The clutch bite setting seems to make little to no difference on the g27. Is it just me....?
    Also if I'm within safe rpm ranges it doesn't matter if I use the clutch to downshift!?! :confused: What's up with that?
    Should I ask about this in the support forum?

8. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I can't imagine driving a real car without a stick shift and clutch, think would feel well weird and detached. I'm from the UK, though, so driving hire cars in France always feels a bit odd for the first few hours as I try to change gear with the door handle... :confused:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    You actually get used to it surprisingly quickly, at least the road signs are relatively similar across Europe, the ones in the USA totally baffled me and the rules of the road are more different.

10. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    No, I've driven with a clutch since I was 16. I sat and very slowly and carefully checked it. There might be a 1/2 a centimeter difference. I can barely start to lift my foot off the clutch before it bites. Rather frustrating.

11. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Left or right hand shifting is not problem. We have a lot cars with right side steereng wheel in Russia (probably at Far East region). And i speak with many owners of Japan cars. They say you need ~ 30 min to get used.

12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Can I recommend the Thrustmaster TH8A when you take the plunge, upgraded to one recently and have to say this shifter is a great piece of kit, build quality is fantastic and operation is solid, only hangup so far is when swapping from H to Seq you have to slightly move angle of whole unit, not to mention the 4 fiddly screws to undo and do up again, worth it though.
    You won't believe the weight of this thing, one gert big hunk of metal, looks great too, threw the old G27 shifter to the dogs, didn't last a minute!

13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I recently had some experiences with H-shifter and clutch in R3E and I am a bit confused.

Here's why:
    when driving a car with H-pattern (like DTM92 or group 5...) I usually have to blip the gas while downshifting to prevent locking the rear tires.
    I am driving without auto clutch but it seems to make no difference for the car if I do the blip or don't. Hell I even can shift without using the clutch.
    upshifting, ok is possible in race cars without clutch, but even downshifting is no problem at all without clutch.. I expected to damage the transmission or that the gear won't engage. But nothing happened.
    And without blip the rear tires never lock up too.

For comparison: In Project Cars you are dead when you downshift the old DTM or Group 5 without heel-toe. The rear tires probably lock and your car gets uncontrollable.

After using this style of downshifting for a while without failure I tested downshifting without the blip.. everything fine... then without clutch... transmission says "everything's alright".

Then I thought I have auto-clutch activated but it was deactivated... I can stall the engine so the clutch is fine.

Sooo... what now? Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Is this just normal realistic behaviour? (but there is a reason for heel-toe), are my settings for the clutch in the options menu wrong? (they're mostly default)

I will test again and try to figure out my failure, maybe you get a video to get an idea of my issue :-D

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    that's why I bought a second TH8A :-D
    now I have one in SEQ-Mode connected to the wheel base and one in H-pattern connected per USB to the PC.
    I paid for my lazyness to swap the mode. But since I swap cars with SEQ and H-Shifter fast and often I would end up loosing and tightening those screws 10 times an evening.

Ok I just could use paddle shifters for the cars with SEQ-Stick.. but that's not the point of driving in a simulation ;)

And this setup is very useful with Dirt Rally as well.

SEQ-Stick ftw!

My improvised cockpit since I don't have a rig (yet!)
    my_cockpit.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it is a bug or just a missing feature. Have you tried the GTO Mustang and Nissan? These and the Formula junior have a more realistic clutch.

16. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if it's related but even with auto clutch turned off you can still shift without using clutch. Unsure when this changed but I have not missed a gear in weeks using H pattern which is a bit weird.

17. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Was this a thing? I thought you always could change gears without using clutch, but this would damage gearbox.

Would be cool if auto-clutch setting would be split into auto-clutch, auto-blip and auto-liftoff, like it is in Automobilista or rF2 (can't remember which one has it).

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yepp.
    That's what I was saying. Auto clutch off and no missed gears or damaged transmission.

Haven't tried the gto yet but group 5 that had an update recently.

19. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I've been in the FRJ's a lot and not missed a gear in them also. I was under the impression it's every car?

20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    have tried GTO cars now too. seems that the clutch is only useful at the race start. while shifting down or up you don't need it. You're not punished with damaged transmission or gears not engaging correctly .. :(

dear devs.. is this how it should be in the game or will it be updated.