Question Question about game chat while racing

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by katpeeler, Mar 13, 2015.

1. katpeeler

katpeeler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, Im very new to the PC gaming world. So new I realy don't know if this is possible. Coming from the Xbox One Ive been use to game chat. And its my understanding that on the PC this is not a automatic thing?? Do I have to download something in order to game chat with fellow racers?? If so what do you suggest?? Will any program work??...Will "X" game chat program able to talk to someone who is using "Y" game chat program??..Thanx

2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I guess you have voice chat on your mind, not text chat?! For voice chat you have to use Teamspeak, BUT it's not like party/game chat on XBLive. You have to connect to a Teamspeak server manually within Teamspeak and the people you want to talk to have to be on the same server. Teamspeak is usually used by communitys for their cups and races. There is no option in R3E that hosts a voice chat, that connect you automatically to the people in the lobby you join and let you talk to them. There is no way (ATM) to talk to guys in a public Lobby in R3E (and no other sim I know).

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3

3. katpeeler

katpeeler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the info. So let me see if I understand you. If I want to voice chat with anyone in my race lobby I and them have to be logged into Teamspeak servers before we can talk back and forth? And that is rare that racers use Teamspeak? I am so used to saying "On your left" or "Sorry about that" while racing I find this very 1976 that a PC gamer has to use a keyboard to communicate with his fellow racers OR teammates in a FPS. Im not trying to sound harsh but this seems crazy to me. I know RR3 is a work in progress but does some of the other Simracers like Iracing use teamspeak??

4. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Honestly being a sim there should not be a possibility to chat while racing (unless you are with people you know well)
    First, it's unrealistic: I don't think you have a system to communicate with other car drivers in real life no? If something happens, you can always bind a quick chat button when it'll be implemented (or use VoiceAttack) to say: "sorry" or "on your left".
    Second, it can be exploited and could be disruptive: ppl can shout, yell, say profanity, offend ppl and talk about pizza or whatever crap happened to them during the day distracting you from the game. Sure you can mute them probably but what's the point of having an in-game chat then?
    Third, no it's not rare that racers use Team Speak. It's actually the main pillar for better coordinate with drivers from the same community (or same group). You can meet and talk with ppl there and generally you are among people who understand that when you're racing, you're racing. So no chat chat while doing that... unless of course you're testing or just mocking around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. katpeeler

katpeeler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You make good points and trust me I have been in lobbies with consoles with a bunch of chatter that I couldn't race. BUT on the other hand Ive been in lobbies with friends and chat is a welcome thing. About binding buttons for chat, what is this "VoiceAttach you speak of??..Is this similar to TeamSpeak??...Sorry for the noob questions but if I ever get into a multi-player lobby I want to be prepared. Never raced on PC other than a few times on Iracing, but I didn't have a proper rig...

6. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Voice Attack is a voice activation tool that allows you to bind buttons and then execute them in the order you've set them when you say something.
    For example you launch Voice Attack and then you setup something like: <<When I say: "Sorry", then press t (which is the default key for bringing up the chat in MP servers) and press S, o, r, r, y and hit enter.>>
    So basically when you are in game ad you say a command that has been setup in VA, the program intervenes and executes the key sequence for you.
    It's a very useful tool and it's one of those you might wanna use in the future alongside the VR helmets (in case you're into that).

7. Johnny Latebraker

Johnny Latebraker Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to Chat, you have to Race:D

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I always found it quiet nice to have the opportunity to chat via TS with Teamm8s (and about whats really neccessary only), but honestly I never liked baffeling/being distracted while driving (real world too).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. katpeeler

katpeeler New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the how chatter is distracting. I was mainly talking about just the occasional "on your left" or "nice pass"

10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I guess you and your friend can start a voice chat in steam, and then go play R3E.