R3e and steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, May 31, 2016.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I purchased the wtcc 14 pack in special during a steam sale at the end of last year. Every time i launch r3e it says some message about it being permanently associated with my steam account. Tonight I unticked the installed button on steam for the wtcc 14 and loaded up r3e and the wtcc and it worked. How is this so if I unticked it in the dlc section on steam?

2. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    R3E always install all content on your HDD. You buy only "license" ("key" or something like this) to use cars/tracks

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Steam is just telling you what you have purchased or have available to yourself, it is the RR servers that your purchases were registered on making your cars available, they are linked ingame to you and the steam setting is irrelevant.
    Im sure Christian or someone will confirm it or correct me.

4. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the explanation guys.

5. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    About Steam and RR...
    Steam is a great platform but also a great drm protection so...
    Why should we have the "always online drm" too???
    Why can't we use our Steam account as main account for RR???

6. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I see this question come up quite a bit here on the forums and on our helpdesk, which makes it seem that a lot of people forget that the game is completely free to download. Since there's no initial cost, the game relies solely upon in-game purchases for income. This means that we need to make sure that a player only has access to items they have purchased, which is where the online checks come in. Even if the game used Steam accounts, there would still need to be a connection in order to make those checks.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I am new here!!! Let me ask the "usual question" too :p
    Thanks for your reply guys ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I am not real good at understanding these techy things. Do project cars and assetto corsa work the same way as in updates also include dlc that you have to pay for before you can access it? I think you can play these offline?

While the core of r3e is indeed free to be honest I feel that if someone is going to play it over an extended period of time then they won't just do it with the limited stock content.
    I think I have spent well over 100 bucks on the content so far and will continue to do so in the future so i would end up paying more for this in the long run than a standard game anyway.

9. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and you can also pirate these games or parts of them easily all around the web.
    What people shouldn't forget is the ongoing support and updates though. How long does that other standard game "last"? Yes you can buy pcars for less money, but support/updates were cancelled and now if you want to benefit from that initial investment in pcars1, if you want those features and updates they promised, you have to spend the same amount on pcars2.

I'm not trying to slag you off or sth, but it appears many people always only look at the downside of Racerooms model, the immediate cost, but overlook the advantages such a model can have, like the ongoing support and updates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    As long as the game is classed as beta these things should be a given. Once its out of beta and classed as a finished product then you expect a reasonable amount of ongoing support, how long that support lasts is debatable but at some point the plug gets pulled.
    Sure we`ve been here before ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well it's not exactly debatable cause we simply don't know. Might as well go on for another 5 or 10 years. But the fact is that by now there has been constant support and regular updates for over three years, with huge advances made during that time, content- and feature-wise.
    And at this point there's only one competitor who can claim the same for a product that costs less (but also comes with significantly less content).

So I still stand by that point. For me there's no long-term monetary difference between a game like RR and a game like pcars, because over the course of several years you end up spending more or less the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Aww, I wanted this thread to be about cheevos.

Cost for R3E is ok'ish. I mean it adds up certainly, specially if your that wierdo like myself who keep on buying cars and liveries I never use, but that's more on me as a user then the business model. I like to pretend that all my wasted cash goes into the "update the engine" wad of cash J-F's hiding. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hint for the dim-witted?

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    :)
    I would say that Assetto Corsa is the only other current sim that is cheaper and has seen ongoing support and updates for several years (without re-releasing the same game, like GSE/AM, pcars/pcars2, F1-20xx/F1-20xx f.e.).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'll freely admit games like AC get more playtime from me trying to hunt down the special event cheevos. Trading cards are already in and I can't imagine that took'em long to whip up. Who knows, maybe they'll get themselves an intern to add'em one day. Say score a bullseye on Beta testers in turn 1 lap 1 10 times? Mercs already come with crosshairs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

18. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista has added a massive amount of content considering they didn't charge GSCE owners a dime for it though. The amount of effort put into that title considering the small playerbase is pretty amazing. PC2 caught alot of flack for being announced so early after the first ones release, going to be interesting if it eventually brings something new to the table or if it could've all been DLC. Seeing as how they're making most of their sales on the consoles I'd imagine doing heftier engine upgrades etc would be difficult compared to an PC exclusive. iRacing recently showed it's certainly doable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Love that V10 in Automobilista. Would love to hear that traction control in R3E. But that's a topic for the Formula Classic thread. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Ditto, haven't got anything against any of the other sims or their business actions. Just saying that sometimes RRs model gets a harsh look it doesn't deserve, at least not in long-term perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2