R3e Damage model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy Blade, Apr 26, 2016.

?

better damge model , more parts coming off , even tire blowouts when completely red !!

1. No damage model fine

3.8%
  2. Yes would love better damage, tire blow outs

96.2%
  1. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else think damage model should be better ? Don't get me wrong this is my goto racer even got 10 guys now playing in steam group !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Sadly licensing sometimes has restrictions when it comes to damage, I know some manufacturers are a real pita to deal with when you tell them a game will feature their car getting smashed to bits. It's all about image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    There's plenty of non visual improvements to the damage model that are irrelevant to manufacturers - eg loss of wheel/steering alignment after a collision, and there are plenty of vehicles with no real life manufacturer ties.

Given the massive improvements to R3E lately, the poor damage modelling sticks out as one of the game's glaring weaknesses - it's not much of a simulator if the player and AI's vehicles are just about indestructible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Indeed I agree mechanical damage could be improved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I remember for Forza 3, Turn 10/Microsoft had finally convinced the manufacturers (with a lot of $$$ I assume) to allow their cars to be flipped on their roofs, something Polyphony hadn't yet managed with Gran Turismo. T10 was so pleased they cheekily put it in the trailer.

6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Yes but it comes far down on the wish list and is far from essential.

7. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Tire wear at x4 is not that great imo
    I would like to see orange 25% chance of blow out flashing orange no bars 30% chance red 50% chance , flashing red no bars left 75% chance of blow out something like that not just slight loss of grip just saying , think mechanical damage could be better if manufacturers dont like seeing spoiler or bumper fall off maybe even whole rim come off maybe not essential to some but more immersion for others ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Not essential for you != not essential :)

Collisions and damage are as much a part of racing as the actual driving, and as such I would rate a decent implementation as essential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's the one thing I really don't get...how is your pretend car in a video game getting damaged going to damage your image? It's balmy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK the Manufacturers that are in R3E at the moment don't have much problems with damaged cars. Lamborghini and Ferrari were two of the Manufacturers that had some problems with that in the past, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem anymore.

In R3E the Damage-Model is still WIP if i remember it right...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, heared a lot about Forza but with that Trailer even Wild Horses couldn't have dragged me to it = Stock Car Arcade Gymkhana for Console Kids ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I despise cracked glass. If it were done in a realistic way maybe it wouldn't be so bad but most sims/racing games if it is a clear material it shatters like a glass bottle.

13. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I voted for "Yes" HOWEVER my real vote would go to this:

"I'd love for damage modeling to be better and more in depth, but it's nowhere near the highest priority on my wishlist/wanted features."

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I voted yes and I wrote yes to a better damage model :) But no it's not that important. I drive mostly online and what i miss mostly is not flying car parts.

I would rather see that they put energy into developing a system that improves our awareness and encourages us to drive with more responsibility and avoid accidents and damage.

Usually there is not more than 20-30% left of the drivers at a online race. That is a much bigger problem.

And i'm afraid that a more spectacular damage model would encourage wreckers to do more harm than they already do.

But yes i would like to have a better damage model.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The manufacturers don't want people to think they could die in their cars. Rob Zacny discussed this on the Idle Weekend podcast a few weeks ago: it's why these days you'll never see a licensed car in a video game get torn in half, or have its passenger compartment completely crushed, no matter what happens to it. Codemasters have also talked about the limits their licenses set for Dirt Rally, even when real rally itself is known for spectacular crashes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think most people would really like a more complex mechanical damage model, not visual. It doesn't fit in a simulation that I can hit a wall with speed and just carry on a race with no damage whatsoever. Sure, a broken suspension should be visible but I don't need car parts splattered all over the track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    This also comes with the side effect that Johnny Turbo Guttman struck on of even more people leaving races before the finish. There needs to be some lee-way in a game environment. Purely realistic damage where even slight taps can drastically alter the car's suspension and aero geometry to highly detrimental effects are great in theory, but often just discourage closer racing and actively enrage people when even small contact happens that sends someone into a wall regardless of it being intentional or an accident. The vast majority of all of us racing in any game have highly limited skills with relatively low skill ceilings that result in unintended contact with other cars and walls/barriers.

The harsher this is penalized, the more often you have people either racing by themselves instead of with others or even racing less with AI. Combine that with more people simply leaving when their car is damaged to the point of being difficult to drive and you end up exaggerating a problem that already exists.

So, at this point you might think about the possibility of simply opening up the options for different damage setups. This is a reasonable idea, but think about the highly limited amount of people who will run on those 'ultra real' or even 'highly realistic' damage settings. Take something like Project CARS for example where the majority of their online sessions are setup so that terminal damage to a car cannot occur if not having damage off entirely. In this scenario you're creating something that takes quite a lot of testing and balancing to get the right 'feel' from that most people will not care about or utilize. For a small company, they have no choice but to focus on the things that will 'hit' the biggest chunk of their playerbase.
    - It's worth noting this point in particular is at least 70% speculation based off what I have seen across games from pCars to iRacing and it's possible that the group of people who enjoy hyper realism in damage modeling is higher than it appears based on online room settings.

I love having more realistic damage as it tends to make me a more cautious and purposeful driver, but many people like the exact opposite. It's always worth remember there are at least 2 sides, and even though your 'local' group might think one way it might still be a minority group in relation to the whole.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Basically I agree with most what you said. I might add though that from my perspective (mind that I have just gotten into R3E Multiplayer recently) the majority of people race in somewhat organized leagues and seem to know each other through the forums here or on racedepartement. On public servers I've never seen more than about 50 people at once scattered across a handful of servers. On those yeah, accidents sometimes trigger a rather hostile reaction and frustration of course and they might be better off with a forgiving damage model.
    When racers have a relation to each other, be it only from having a chat from time to time on the forums, the climate is usually a lot less toxic and when bumping into someone you know it really doesn't matter all that much. Might even add to the fun, even when you're handicapped for the rest of the race.
    And especially versus AI, I consider a more realistic damage model great fun. I remember DTM/TOCA Race Driver 3 quite well for having detailed mechanical damage, even though that was quite a while ago and my memory might play tricks on me.
    After all, of course I have no numbers to back that up, but I think the majority of the core simulation players does appreciate realistic damage models and the addition of those would positively separate R3E from other titles currently on the market.

19. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    a better damage model for tire and engine damages would be nice …

maybe something like this:

• Like Like x 1
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a damage slider a la rF2 is the way to go. 100% for the purists who want the wing to fall off if they sneeze, 0% for those who want it how it is now :)

• Agree Agree x 2