R3E Reality Check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale Junior, Dec 4, 2015.

1. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Very impressive as always! Am I imagining or did you actually add the camera shake that some have wished for?

2. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Dont normally take much interest in comparison vids, just play the game and be done with it, but with it being nords and the new porsche had to have a look, glad i did, that looks really, really, good, nice FOV helps, looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Always as usual a great video Georg :). ... but in this video you can see, why RaceRoom needs the laser scanning technology.

two examples of the GP part:

- wrong dimensions of track buildings (Mercedes-Arena)
    nürburgring2.png

- wrong positioning of track buildings (TÜV-Rheinland-Tower)
    nürburgring.png

... hope all this irregularities will solved in future ... maybe after the implementation of a new graphic engine.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    It's a FOV thing, nothing else. In the second pic they're not at the same place so the building is at different places.

And what has laserscanning to do with buildings at the trackside?

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    360 Degrees of scan?

6. coolcool

coolcool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    R3E is not perfect
    Neither AI selector nor Ferrari nor Lamborghini
    However, I feel the most fun and possibility to R3E:cool:
    Next year, I want to experience more advanced R3E;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Wow, you know the tracks really well :eek:

8. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Even if you are right, which isn't clear at all since screenshots from a video doesn't really tell you anything, this is nitpicking at the highest level and I hope the developers won't spend time fixing ever so slightly misplaced buildings. There are better things to work on. IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. t5e

t5e New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you look closer to the interior of the car, you will notice, that the RL camera position is slightly higher than the one in R3E. This would very well explain the differences.

For me the he similarities are stunning. I really appreciate the realism

10. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    this vid shows how far this game has gone,but I want to point out sth that might need further improvement imo_On the exit of slow turns irl the driver must make slight wheel adjustments to prevent oversteer,whereas in the game,with many cars you can jump on the throttle and the rear wheels will not break traction
    many cars are forgiving in that department but its more obvious in these:92 merc and bmw,gt3 mclarens and audis,shillouete and M1 bmw first come to mind.I don't ask for ice physics,just when u jump on the gas on the exit of corners,u get more oversteer.

11. PE4

PE4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Maybe because default setups are on the safe side.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Come on guys, the Nordschleife in RaceRoom is based on laser scans. http://www.virtualr.net/r3e-laser-scanned-nordschleife-announced
    I bet that size and position of buildings around the Nordschleife is as accurate as possible. This technology captures 360 degree from the position of where the laser stands. The image shows a so called point cloud. Then it's up to you what information you are going to use from it. After the scan process you have to convert the point cloud data into a 3d mesh. Parallel to the 3d scanning you take thousands of photos. These photos are useful for converting the point cloud data into mesh data and of course for the texturing process. This is a simple explanation of what 3d laser scanning is. One manufacturer for example is FARO
    A very good software to handle a massive amount of scan data is reality capture. The raw data from a scanner is much higher of what a 3d software like Maya or 3ds Max can handle not to mention a game engine. You have to simplify the data by remodeling the converted mesh until the game engine can handle it. That's laser scanning :) it's a long and very intrecated process especially for a racetrack like the Nordschleife. It's a massive amount of data that needs to be handled.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It has been a tradition in sim racing to make a default car under-steer. I very old sims they increase the front springs. The same is true for Gran Turismo 5 and 6 on the consoles. The newest releases from RRE they have neutered the cars in more subtle ways, as we are all using wheels and never game pads.
    During the last two releases, The talk and drive youtube videos between the top Sector 3 physics engineer and RD Staff bloggers have had the question of under-steer come up and there were hints in the answers. Those are the main things I listen for in the talk and drive promotions now.

14. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    You don't watch some guys that are spinning during the broadcasting? ^^

15. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Jan Seyffarth a Mercedes AMG factory driver explained in one of his latest videos why the Nordschleife in RaceRoom is in his opinion almost the most accurate representation in the virtual world. Unfortunately it's only in German.
    His thumbnails for the vids are a bit trashy, German commerical television style, my opinion lol

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  16. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Dont know why your quoting me ;)

17. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I thought the 360 degree thing was somehow a question :)

18. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    No thats a YouTube general thing I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No, but yes, in answer to the previous post, i knew but was a suggestive answer. o_O

20. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but it's not just a FOV problem. The track position and distance of the car is almost the same ... one more example:

nürburgring3.png
    The tower is gone :eek: ... ;) ... and yes, the real car is too far on the right side, nevertheless the tower is in wrong position and you can find some more track mistakes if you have eagle eyes ... I am sure, Alex and his team know what I mean. Accuracy cost time and money, we know ... If R3E have laser scanned tracks, I would prepared to pay 8 - 10 € for each release of a track.

Why laser scanning??? With the 3D laser scanning technique you are able to create a high detailed virtual copy of a racetrack, because you don’t only scan the track surface, but also the complete track environment like trees, walls, buildings, … in their dimensions and positioning. The scanned data are saved into a data mesh, called: "point cloud".

[​IMG]
    point cloud of a road with houses

If the sim developer will build and position the 3D model of a track object like a grandstand, house, tower or anything else … he just has to read out the point cloud to get a the data who he needs:

[​IMG]
    left: point cloud data | right: 3D model based on point cloud data

The 3D laser scanning technique is a very comfortable and accurate working method in the sim racing development and 3D modeling. For more information, look / watch right here:

http://www.bsimracing.com/assetto-corsa-spa-francorchamps/

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018