Race length type

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rmbonk86, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    When running a championship or single race, what do you prefer? Timed or lap races?

2. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Timed when you're in a championship and want your races to be fairly the same length, in single race mostly laps or, if I'm running out of time, timed. Otherwise what is realistic to the series you race with.
    Greetings

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Always timed.

4. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I have been trying both. Reason why I asked is cause I use to use mandatory pitstops so I can force the AI to pit, otherwise they usually don’t depending how long I set the race for. But switched that off and adjusted the tire wear to 2x however it seemed like that wasn’t enough.. then changed to 3x but seemed too fast. How long do some of you guys set your races if you’re going by timed

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    depends on what im running, i try to mirror real series

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Trial and error. Tyres in some series last longer than others.

7. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    For that I suggest timed races, as distance may vary drastically in lapped races (For example, you do a championship with Nordschleife and Stowe- race will be much longer at the Nordschleife and therefore the tyre wear will be higher. This leads to unpredictability what stops Ai is going to make and how many). There still might be some problems, because tyre wear is different on every track: High wear on eg. Oschersleben and Falkenberg, low tyre wear on Monza.
    Greetings

8. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yep I agree with that. I started a championship with Indy cars and the first race was at Monza. Tire wear wasn’t too bad maybe changed twice and refueled 3 or 4 times if memory serves me with 30 min races. But the next race at anderstorp was a lot different. Stops for tires and fuel was about equal.

9. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I usually use timed session. What I would like to see is "distance" settings (i.e. AMS has that for championships), as lots of series compute required laps based on total race distance. So you still get "lap" kind length, but different amount of laps for different circuits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    At first i started using lapped races since I didn't need to worry about calculating fuel usage. But since i use crewchief that takes care of that for me.